MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

northern mob b/hol mon rideout

northern mob b/hol mon rideout (2) - Forums [Biker Match] northern mob b/hol mon rideout (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

northern mob b/hol mon rideout

you know the law regarding CCTV. I have tried and tried with various councillors about it. They wont do either, I am left with a bill of about £1k to have it done myself. Housing association doesnt care either.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 25/05/2009 20:47  

Used to have someone who parked outside my garage which is on a very narrow lane at the back of the house, got a car jack and moved it so they had 3" front and back to get it out, have you ever seen a 300 point turn, it takes ages... lol

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 25/05/2009 22:18  

Domestic CCTV is exempt from the DPA so you can turn your camera round. just make sure it is not looking directly into someone elses living room or bedroom. www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/cctv_code_of_practice_h...overs.html The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home. Images captured for recreational purposes, such as with a mobile phone, digital camera or camcorder, are also exempt. www.ico.gov.uk/Home/for_the_public/topic_specific_guide...using.aspx The use of CCTV cameras on residential properties is becoming increasingly common, which can be worrying if you feel that your privacy is being threatened. There is an exemption for domestic or household processing of personal information, as long as this does not involve putting personal information on a website or making it available to the world at large in another way without good reason. This means that if a CCTV camera mounted in your neighbour's property is overlooking your land, it is unlikely that they will be breaching the Data Protection Act. However, they may be breaching other legislation such as the law about harassment or voyeurism, and so may be subject to investigation by another body, such as the police. You can find out more and read our guidance on the CCTV page

Update Reply
Phil @ 25/05/2009 22:50  

As you say Frag, you need to pay to have a dropped kerb installed. Canvassing your local MP may not do anything because it will still have to be done by your local highway department and they will insist that someone still has to pay for it. It's done under Section 184 of the Highways Act; Providing Vehicular Access Across Public Footway or Verge which is a very simple agreement and normally the council will only charge you for a bit of admin and the cost of the actual works. And even then these are done at minor works rates. But as you say, this could still be in the region of a grand. I'm suspecting that you've already done your homework and I'm telling Granny to suck eggs, because you are entirely correct; although you have legal right of PEDESTRIAN access onto the public highway (footway), without the above agreement in place you don't have any rights to access the road by car/bike because you have to cross a footway, which is illegal. (If there is no footway ie your property butts directly up to the carriageway then you can legally leave it onto the road.) Another crazy example of british law is that even with a legal dropped kerb in place, you don't actually have any rights to access your property from the road, but only rights to access the road from your property! One final point, contrary to the above is a thing called rights by precedent. If you can prove (witness statements from neighbours, photos etc) that you have been using the area of your property as a driveway for a number of years (I think it's 20), then you can request the council put in the dropped kerb for free on the grounds that they are "maintaining" an existing access. Maybe try this route if you can. Of course all this ain't going to help you get someone out of your way. Sorry.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 26/05/2009 07:16  

I think that I'm right in saying this but you don't have to get the council to do the drop kerb. A private contactor can do it but they must have the necessary third party insurance of c£2m. A lot of contactors do carry that sort of cover and they won't charge nearly so much as the council. Worth asking the highways dept who is on their list of approved contractors.

Update Reply
napoleon @ 26/05/2009 20:06  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email