MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

just a friendly warning

just a friendly warning - Forums [Biker Match] just a friendly warning - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

just a friendly warning

Hi everyonei got a phone call from a friend who works for the s.yorks police this morning.He told me that they are joining up with derbyshire police to do a short policing term on bikes with loud exhausts and tiny number plates with minimal tolerance.Pass this on to anyone you know and keep an eye out has they will be using there unmarked bikes aswell as marked bikes too all the usual roads will be covered plus the known cut throughs also they will be doing the usual riding through biking spots and stop offs to chat too.

Update Reply
hightower @ 16/05/2009 18:59  

That's interesting. I heard rumours Derbyshire were going to have a crack down on illegal pipes, but had nothing confirmed. Depends on what they mean by "minimal tolerance"! If they're talking about handing out £30 fines or vehicle defect rectification notices, then that's not too bad. But they could be funny and bring issues with insurance into it! Then people could find themselves hit with 6 - 8 points!!! Also, the Police do have powers to confiscate bikes if they feel the exhausts are loud enough to be considered a public nuisance. They were testing bikes and cars late last year in Scotland and some people found themselves hit with 6 - 8 and their vehicles confiscated!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 16/05/2009 19:34  

Another post gone missing getting sick of writing things two or three times

Update Reply
micksaway @ 16/05/2009 19:40  

Kin typical As the crime figures are so low in the area. and will the little Tw*ts in Boxes be pulled for dustbin exhausts as well Prob not Pity we aint allowed to vote in the chief of police forces we might actually get somthing done about crime. Sorry Rant over Thanks for passing this info on Hightower

Update Reply
micksaway @ 16/05/2009 19:42  

ooh yeah nevermind it`s going to be replaced by a louder one

Update Reply
hightower @ 16/05/2009 21:25  

It stops deaf people walking out in front of you!

Update Reply
maxnod @ 16/05/2009 22:20  

that arguement has be going on for ages loud pipes saves lives. but it seems other people can`t see it from a common sense view like alot of other people can. well when i get my link pipe done i`ll soon see how loud it is a v-twin tl1000 with a straight through yoshi . think i might need to put the police on my paypal account £30 again officer.

Update Reply
hightower @ 16/05/2009 23:55  

I was mighty grateful when my pipe got a hole in it, it sounded like a Harley (was a 125 Honda CM) and other road users knew I was there for a change lol @ police on paypal account

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/05/2009 00:03  

Having a hearing loss of 82% and being a permanent user of h/aids i personally believe in loud pipes , but i suppose the annoying factor does apply to a lot of people without my problem.

Update Reply
excalibur @ 17/05/2009 07:11  

I have a non-standard pipe as I like bikes to sound like bikes and not washing machines. However, I do still find it slightly amusing that people believe that "loud pipes save lives". Cars are so well soundproofed nowadays, not to mention that the driver is probably listening to loud music, on his/her phone, thinking of what to have for tea etc. I've heard loud pipes in tunnels, but if I have my music on in the car, I can't hear them otherwise. Loud pipes do not save lives; riding sensibly through traffic and/or towns saves lives. 2 .......

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 17/05/2009 08:14  

I can agree with that as i also enjoy the throaty sounds a big bike can make , but not contradicting myself ...i was referring to pedestrians that misjudge a bikes speed and distance , hearing them coming does help a bit .ex

Update Reply
excalibur @ 17/05/2009 18:03  

Yer not wrong A quick "blip" o the throttle on a V twin, sure sharpens em up

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/05/2009 18:08  

your`e not wrong emzed v-twin should also read(for scareing old ladies and kids) especially with straight through cans with no baffles. I frequently ride through a tunnel when i got to marshgate in donny to my local bike shop and giving it a blip or a small twist of the throttle seems to work for me and gives people a wake up call.

Update Reply
hightower @ 17/05/2009 18:38  

Aye I know that ginnel well Done it mesen an at side o Needhams (Balby)

Update Reply
Emzed @ 17/05/2009 18:44  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email