MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Dumbest thigs you've done while workingon or cleaning your bike

Dumbest thigs you've done while workingon or cleaning your bike - Forums [Biker Match] Dumbest thigs you've done while workingon or cleaning your bike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Dumbest thigs you've done while workingon or cleaning your bike

Ok a long title, but try ab in it to a short one? So whiles trying to make me RD200 go faster,I decided to clean the baffles out! Mate of my dads said the best way was to cover em in petrol light it and the oily goo will carbonize and be easy to wire brush off? Under the watch for eye of the old man, off i go, rag, fuel, baffle... So, lights the baffle, hand now on fire, crabs the rag to put out hand, rag and hand now on fire. Runs round the garden like a made bloke carrying the olympic touch whilst the old mans rolls round the garden, peeing himself! Think iv learnt abit since then,

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 28/04/2009 20:26  

while cleanin the bike many yrs ago...left the hose pipe running on the floor while washin another part of the bike..didnt see the damm jet was actually fillin my exhaust up with water!!..ARGGGGGGGHHHHHH lolol

Update Reply
meza95 @ 28/04/2009 20:41  

This didnt happen to me and I suppose its not funny when it happens to you but a young mate a good few years ago decided to grease his chain Nowt wrong wi that, credit for trying to maintain it. But he thought it would be easier to do it on the bottom run with the bike on the centre stand and the engine running All was going according to plan, when he spotted a "kink" in the chain as it came round So without thinking he tried to squeeze it between fingers and thumb (fingers on top thumb underneath) Yep youve guessed it !! Fingers straight between sprocket and chain Luckily he didnt lose any digits but what was he thinkin

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/04/2009 20:46  

It must be a 'guy' thing lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 28/04/2009 21:34  

When rebuilding my bandit I decided to put the engine back in on my own, with 'rudimentary' tools used a few bricks under to work it up to the right height, didn't go in without slipping off a couple of times and marking up the newly powder coated frame. Not recommended!

Update Reply
njl @ 28/04/2009 22:38  

Or last Friday morning when setting out for work was convinced the solenoid I've been meaning to replace had given up altogether , tried whacking the back panel around it and swaying the bike side to side, until I realised I'd used the kill switch the night before.

Update Reply
njl @ 28/04/2009 22:41  

Wrap the frame with old rags and lay it on its side (the frame) if you're on your own

Update Reply
Emzed @ 28/04/2009 22:43  

Took my carbs apart to clean them. Re-assembled them, and was feeling well-chuffed. Then I noticed the left over washer.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/04/2009 23:36  

Put bike on ctr stand to lube chain with bike running and in gear........ what happened next???? (oh no not the loss of a finger or thumb) did not realise the rear was touching the deck due to the floods here making my paving settle at differant heights....... as I clicked the gear lever down she shoots forwards and falls over breaking the clutch lever

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 28/04/2009 23:47  

Wasnt cleaning, but bros mate Noddy, (Nickname), was push starting our Greeves 250 go-cart. Didnt know his hand was on the chain guard, ouch! His thumbs was OK after quite a bit of surgery though.

Soz, cleaning/service, stupidest thing was the contraptions we cobbled together to get car engines out, thinking about it, then working underneath. Luckily nothing happened there!!

Oh, yeah, bros got me sticking my figer in a spark plug cap, while he turned it over, that hurt!

Older, wiser now, I hope, LOL.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 29/04/2009 00:35  

Many years ago a friend was burning out his exhaust when he sucked instead of blowing,dodgy with hindsight but well funny at the time.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/04/2009 01:14  

I have been told by my other half to post about the time I replaced the fork oil in my old XJ900 with 25 weight instead of 2.5!! It was very firm ...

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/04/2009 07:40  

Myself and a friend did once convince this young lad on his 125 that his generator was in his forks. Outside Redbeck Cafe in Wakefield, this poor kid couldn't get his bike started despite repeated kicks. We went over and told him the battery was low and that the generator was in his forks and that everytime they go over a bump it charges the battery. Two minutes of frantically pumping the forks up and down and the lad gives the bike one more kick and it starts!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/04/2009 07:42  

You rotter! Poor kid, sounds the sort of prank I'd fall for...

Update Reply
Roachy @ 29/04/2009 07:54  

Not anymore unfortunately lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/04/2009 08:00  

Nice one Geoff An Newkid, I had the "spark test" done to me by my bro One time cleanin a BTH magneto slip ring wi a petrol soaked rag, finger in rag, finger in hole an turn the armature wi other hand an it burst into flames in me hand Well funny

Update Reply
Emzed @ 29/04/2009 11:53  

Had a friend who took the baffle out of his FSIE exhaust. Stuck a bean-pole up the centre of the baffle to clean it, and snapped about 12 inches (30cm for any youngsters) of bean pole off stuck inside the baffle (i.e. the full length). Then he tried burning it out!!!

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 29/04/2009 13:30  

When my ex went to charge the battery on my CBR, and didn't notice an ickle tiny bit of hay on the battery he was going to use to charge it...............therefore attached terminals the wrong way round! Big bang...........ex on the floor.............main fuse on bike blown!

Update Reply
Dragon13 @ 29/04/2009 18:55  

Talking batteries, my bros once went to check the battery levels in the dark. Didn't think twice about using a lighter, blew the top off the battery, acid in his face. Good job we were around to hose him off, he was OK all be it very red faced, .

Update Reply
Newkid @ 29/04/2009 20:14  

Whilst cleaning my bandit discovered that i had run out of heavy duty grease remover , back wheel was pretty well caked up with chain lube , has a root throu garage to see what else i could use , turps aha that should do the job , it did wonderfully and at he same time was taking the paint off argghhh fk bugger .

Have had the spark plug test too , was only 13

Update Reply
fastjock @ 29/04/2009 22:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email