MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Have you got your lights on?

Have you got your lights on? (8) - Forums [Biker Match] Have you got your lights on? (8) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Have you got your lights on?

TM, are you H4's or H7, as in two separate bulbs is H7, one single is H4?

Update Reply
Newkid @ 27/03/2009 20:46  

Hey Teecee did you find out the legal issues on a scanning brake light?

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 28/03/2009 15:47  

Further update on scanning light.......rang Harley D......no idea.......rang Police.....no idea.......then rang manchester's Honda Supercentre,,Mot guy said, he could see no reason why not but would like to see it working to be sure continuity for future passing bikes for MOT. Newkid, I asked about headlight showing tint of blue....he said deffo not pass.....

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 28/03/2009 16:41  

Apologies Peter - I did start looking for Construction & Use regulations for brake lights but then 'life' got in the way and I forgot to carry on my research. I personally wouldn't put a scanning light on the rear as I think it would be too gimmicky for me (although I do have a blue LED underlighting kit on my car... *cough*) but these look like a good idea: flashingbrakelights.co.uk/Motorcycle_Products.html bikersweb.co.uk/Features/ProductReviews.aspx?ArticleId=445 Especially when Blackpool Council (and they know a thing or two about lights!!) in their advice for Motorcycle Safety say to: "Flash your brake light when you are slowing down & before stopping." The above two flashing brake light units are sold in the UK (which doesn't necessarily mean they are legal) but there are also modulation units available from the States which flash the brake lights for 5 seconds then light them constantly until the brakes are released.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 28/03/2009 19:08  

Thanks for that teecee.........interesting Mercedes are adopting the same lights........I know all the info doesnt make them legal but on the same hand it does not make them illegal and i am sure they would have to put a disclaimer on the box! if i get one i will run it by an MOT station for approval and let you know.

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 28/03/2009 19:57  

Hi all, been a bit busy and been a bit off colour today (bit blue actually LOL) Yeah Peter, I know blue lights would be totally out of the question, which would be the 8000K, but 6000K would look pretty much white, its the very edge of the beam has a tinge. Its the diffraction of the glass bulb that splits the light, like a prism, seperating the blue from the white, and if you see legally fitted cars with HID, they all have it. 6000K just ensures the blue content is there for diffraction, going very techy here, .

Got a lot of engine brake, on my bike, so even if I dont need the brakes, I always tickle the rear if theres something behind me, just to let them know.

Maybe gone for a coulpe of days, catch ya all on Thur prob, ta-ta for now.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 30/03/2009 19:45  

PS Know there illegal, same sort of situation as cans.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

That's why I said you have to keep the original connector, to swap back to Halogen for the MOT.

Update Reply
Newkid @ 30/03/2009 20:30  

My lights are on but theres no one at home!!

Update Reply
moonstone @ 30/03/2009 21:33  

Newkidd, I was thinking of going the same route with my lights the plus side is there is no beam to the light and it will cut through fog........down side I think is the light needs to "warm up" so not instant but my biggest problem is getting to the lights on the Pan European its a real bas**d so I have decided to eat more carrots and save money.

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 01/04/2009 21:17  

Its not just motorists either, I was on my way to rivvy with a friend, coming around a bend and a woman, leaning on the wall, having a cig, and her dog, NOTon a lead but sat by her side, RAN STRIIGHT AT ME, hit the bike, went under the back wheel, and a car hit it on the other side of the road! Luckily i stayed on the bike, I dont know how!! but the cig smoking woman just did'nt care, she said I should have taken more care. Not that she should have had the dog on the lead in the first place! So bikers beware of unleashed dogs,

Update Reply
babybabs @ 11/04/2009 19:42  

Well if it hit your back wheel at least it won't have damaged your paintwork! unbelievable the lack of parenting skills some people have with there kids let alone the animals they have in there care. We as bikers are always looking out for kids and dogs off leads because they are both so unpredictable, I hope you gave her the advice most of us would give her!!

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 11/04/2009 20:37  

I did, and in no uncertain words!! I still went to rivvy though.

Update Reply
babybabs @ 11/04/2009 20:47  

Hmm.. Chasing bikes is not good for their health. My mums bulldogs used to want to chase me, till I got something LOUD, .

Update Reply
Newkid @ 12/04/2009 01:04  

While it's no excuse for the owner failing to keep her dog under control, perhaps the sight of an approaching headlight blazing enraged the dog. As I keep pointing out, one size fits all solutions rarely achieve all they're claimed to and can often create as many problems as they solve. Having said that, I doubt whether the dog's behaviour could have been anticipated.

Update Reply
Cataraptor @ 12/04/2009 13:02  

if i could figure out why me light aint on i'd have it on!!also feckin bike wont start!stupid safety feuture's methink's new headlight cut of switch is needed! and the shop's shut cos of bank oliday!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 13/04/2009 15:15  

Sounds like you had a frustrating w-end!! have you got it sorted yet mate?

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 13/04/2009 21:25  

nooooooo! good job i hadnt sold the Harley!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 13/04/2009 21:28  

poor tango......tell uncle Peter a little more and lets see if I can help you.........make, model, year, problem

Update Reply
Peter69 @ 14/04/2009 17:46  

@ TM Having to use the Harley cos the Triumph has broken down... can't wait to tell my brother!! (He rides a Bonnie)

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 15/04/2009 10:52  

Update Reply
Emzed @ 15/04/2009 11:00  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email