MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Hand Signals

Hand Signals - Forums [Biker Match] Hand Signals - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Hand Signals

I have tried to search the interweb to find a definitive answer with no success and I have lent all my manuals to someone who is learning to ride, so could someone please tell me: Is it acceptable to signal that you are slowing down with your left arm when you need to use your right arm to control throttle and front brake? Case in point: I live just off a single carriageway section of the A9 and have to turn right into my road, which is just after a right hand (gradual) bend. I have a procedure I use to slow traffic down and make sure they know I am slowing, stopping & turning right. However today an artic lorry came around the corner and it was obvious he did not read the road signs (indicating a right turn ahead) or acknowledge my right turn signals and brake light. I was using my right hand to control throttle and front brake so I used a full left arm wave (from the shoulder, palm down rather than the chicken wing motion from the elbow that you are told to use at speed) but still no retardation from him. I also keep my right hand on the throttle so that I can accelerate away if it is obvious the vehicle behind me isn't going to stop, as I almost had to do today but luckily a gap came in the opposing traffic and I could cross but it was VERY close. I normally use my right arm to indicate I am slowing down and I would have started this earlier in my manoeuvre but the lorry was not behind me then and I wanted to do something to attract his attention. Look forward to your input, people!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/03/2009 17:31  

Lorry seems to me as if he/she was too close to you. The lorry driver should have slowed up when he saw your brake lights on. What a dip stick.

Update Reply
SP @ 18/03/2009 18:03  

Hi Sp - the lorry driver was some way behind me but coming round the corner fast while I was already slowed down. He would have had time to stop if he had read the roadsigns and my indications correctly but there is a possibility it didn't register in time or he was distracted. Whilst doing the same manoeuvre my neighbours were rear ended by a vehicle at 50mph (according to the police's interpretation of the skidmarks) by a driver who was changing CDs...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/03/2009 18:25  

think maybe if i'd been that worried about the lorry i may have gone on an pulled over then gone back! i'm usin hand signals as me winker's have packed up!!and have used me left hand to indicate i;m slowing its a worry about being rearended an i'm alway lookin in me mirrors for the bent head lookin down indicatin some jerks txting or doin sommat else!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 18/03/2009 19:00  

Yep, TM - I have done that a couple of times and was near to doing it again today but luckily a gap appeared so I took it. I can't believe how some people are totally unaware of what is around them. In the car today I pulled over to let an ambulance through (just flashing lights on) and the woman behind me eating her apple started to overtake me... I then watched the same thing happen to the two cars in front of me! I definitely know the correct hand signal to use in THAT situation!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/03/2009 19:05  

Blimey, Some paypal hiccup after I reported my bank card lost sent my sub off, did'nt know only full members could post on the forums!
Anyhow...
Roadcraft says only :

Do not use arm signals when you need both hands on the handlebars to control the machine, such as during heavy breaking at speed or sharp cornering. Remember that releasing the throttle to make a right arm signal can dramatically reduce the speed of the machine.

In the next section about courtesy signals it does say if you use your hand use your left.

Highway code - Has pictures of slow down / stop signal given with the right hand, but no text to accompany....

So all in all I can't help on this TC!

Update Reply
njl @ 18/03/2009 20:55  

Haven't a clue .. but then again, given that the only hand signals I ever give are very different to these, I'm not that bothered anyway lol!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 18/03/2009 21:08  

Lol - cheers njl. ANY input is good!! geoff - I am not very good at estimating things but I am guessing the average age around here is about a million so I reckon the more I look like a trafficator the more chance I have of my actions being recognised by the octagenarian twirlies...

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 18/03/2009 21:18  

I cant comment on the bike, but if i'm on the horse then i use whatever hand is free...usually the right as the traffic is approaching from the right. I often have to try and slow traffic down and i've found that a lot of motorists(bikes, cars, lorries whatever) have no idea what i'm trying to say. I've often been in situations that i know is going to result in a serious accident if someone doesnt take evasive action, and generally find it has to be me as noone understands my signals. I do think that more attention should be paid in the driving test to hand signals as on some occasions, its the only thing you have to indicate that you are on the road. I know it doesnt answer yr question, but i can fully sympathise with yr predicament

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 18/03/2009 21:18  

Yesterday while travelling with my sister in her car a BIKER who was on the pavement, on his bike, got off the pavement in front of us without any signal, or even a life-saver look. I was gobsmacked as the bike was a large sports bike and he was totally unaware of any traffic on the road. He then got back on the pavement and travelled the whole length for about 10 mins, then he stopped the bike and got off and removed his helmet. That road is a busy road and often there are emergency vehicles with sirens blaring and traffic has to move aside. Typically not a copper in sight when this inconsiderate and dangerous rider was doing his party trick! I hope I'm not on the road when he is. Riders who behave like him give other riders a bad name. I was so shocked at his behaviour I forgot to signal him lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 19/03/2009 09:19  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email