MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Day 4....More success than not :o)

Day 4....More success than not :o) - Forums [Biker Match] Day 4....More success than not :o) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Day 4....More success than not :o)

Ok, so I finally manged to get out on the bike this am thanks to a mate of mine. Had to fettle around with the throttle cable for a while, but think we've got it sussed now! We pushed her down to the bottom of the close & I managed to get her to the top (with a bit of wibbling I hasten to add!) However, bravery forsook me once at the top of the close & Rich had to wheel her out onto the main Road (nasty right turn at the top of my close - Kaz knows! lol) So anyway, sets off up the hill & up out over the moors - it was bleedin' windy though & I was being blown over the road a bit - however we percivered with it & eventually got out of the gusts! Got out onto some long stretches of road & managed to hit 60 - WOOHOOOO Me However, then came to a junction - was turning left, but managed to BLX it up a bit, went wide, wibbled around, hit a false Neutral, but manged to keep her upright & keep going - Rich riding shotgun thank gawd & luckily no traffic around! So anyway, we're pootling over the moorland roads round here & then coming down into one of the villages. Was planning on coming through Holmfirth & then back up onto the road that leads to my house...however after the crap left hand I'd made, I didn't fancy having to try that again in the centre of Holmfirth!! So took some back roads to avoid the village (Rich said when we got home that he was well impressed that I'd taken those roads, as he wouldn't have done em on his first outing!) So anyway, got out of the back roads & coming up to another junction - was going to turn tight at this junction....but I bottled it & we went across the cross roads instead - to another 'quieter' right turn...but on a bit of an incline & a bit of a blind junction to boot!! Got myself into a bit of a panick & convinced myself I couldn't do this right turn....HOWEVER directly opposite us was the Hade Edge Brass Band hut with a decent sized & empty carpark in front!!...soooo we pulled in there & I had a bit of a practice doing some manouvers & getting to grips with clutch control etc. Spent a bit of time there & then came back down the hill to home. Only did just under 30 miles, but it was a hoot If I can do that route a few more times & build my confidence up & do some more practice in that carpark, I think I'll have sussed it lol My Babes behaved beautifully & her engine breaking is brilliant!! I think this Bike whispering is paying off!! Although she did find a few false neutrals aong the way, but we dealt with them!! Currently on a bit of a high, but don't think am gonna ride to Squires tomorrow..want some more practice around roads I know before hitting somewhere I dont! (Woos I know, but that's me lol)

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 21/02/2009 13:44  

well done stella, keep it up girl youll get there in the end and wonder what all the fuss was about

Update Reply
meza95 @ 21/02/2009 14:34  

You're doing just grand, lass!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2009 14:41  

Well done Stella! Keep it up! You're doing great girl

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 21/02/2009 15:13  

Woooo Hoooooooo !! nice one Stella! Wish i could have been out wiv you!, Ahh well theres plenty more times, hopefully. You've done really well, pat on the back! Yeh i do know that nasty right or left turn outta yr close, not only is it steep, but your view is quite restricted and it's a busy road! .. plus the run up your close is pretty hairy too! so you have done VERY well! lol I know what you mean about the junctions i had a few hairy moments, stalling etc, stopped on a junction at a hill and tryin to hold it while thinkin about gears and throttle an movin off gently was a bit scarey, but the thing is not to panic, and it will right itself. My little bike was a bit more scarey as i had the loss of power issue too... and at one junction a big 4x4 overtook me and cut me up..but i just held back, if i had been on my own i might have panicked, but i dint. Anyways.. we're all still learning whether we're on L's or not, the main thing is get out there, ride safe and enjoy! See you tomorra!

Update Reply
Karey @ 21/02/2009 15:57  

well dun hfg u is doin well, and same 2 2u kaz, kep it up

Update Reply
drobess @ 21/02/2009 17:48  

Thats What its all about go out have a good ride and get home safe job done nice one holmfirth girl keep up the good work

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2009 18:11  

Well done, those early days are hard especially because y7ou feel so small and vulnerable on a 125. Try not to let those neutral things bother you, its very common on 125s, but 60 out of a 125 is good. The one I had was 50 tops.

It all gets better from now on. Before you know it you will be at your test and then things get REALLY interesting.

Update Reply
tamaz @ 21/02/2009 19:30  

thanks for all the comments guys - I know I'll get there eventually

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 21/02/2009 19:35  

we all have to start sum where (at the begining usually)trick is keep going never giv up, we ALL cock up now n again, practice makes perfect n al that......*patting you on the back *HFG

Update Reply
chunkichick @ 21/02/2009 22:38  

Nice one! Couple more of those and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Ride Safe

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 22/02/2009 00:29  

On a similar note, I heard a rumour yesterday that a certain CG rider... wait for it... ...NEEDED FUEL!!!! Surely it's not the end of the month yet!!! The CG must be faulty

Update Reply
Bandit_Mr_P @ 22/02/2009 08:41  

No it ain't faulty - I've been nicking the petrol when the owner ain't looking!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 22/02/2009 09:30  

Way to go Stella!! I completely understand about bottling stuff - it is all in the mind though but try telling yourself that. I've fell off so many times now at either a right turn or (mainly) a u-turn that I've hit a wall with it and for now I've given up until a proper intructor can beat it out of me! Sorry you (and Kaz) won't be on your bikes later but we'll have a right good chinwag about our exploits and there's always next time. I've had to tell myself a couple of times that places aren't going anywhere!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 22/02/2009 09:32  

I was just gonna say, it must have a leak...and now I know there is skullduggery afoot!

Update Reply
Roachy @ 22/02/2009 09:34  

The truth will out...Geoff's a skulldugger!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/02/2009 10:27  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email