MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Fed up

Fed up (3) - Forums [Biker Match] Fed up (3) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Fed up

yep I hear that Skin So Soft is brilliant at keeping the midges at bay & they are DEADLY up in Scotland - Billy Connolly once said when you kill a Scottish Midgy a million come to the funeral!! Tamaz - lol However, it's worth suffering the midges, especially when you get to the beaches @ Mallaig - it's like being in the Carribean (albeit a tad colder!!) - beautiful blue sea & white sandy beaches...oh...... I SOOOOoo wanna go back!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 21/02/2009 19:32  

Me and a couple of mates gonna be doing a 5 day trip round Scotland the begining of May (did Ireland for the second time last year), can't wait. Up the east coast , across the top and down the west. B+B ing it, any suggestions of good places to stay or things to look out for gratefully appreciated.

Steve.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 19:48  

Look out for kamikazi haggis!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2009 19:51  

Left hand or right hand ones?

Which are the most dangerous?

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 19:59  

You should see Harris HFG, golden beaches and blue sea, but the haggises can be murder ;)

Hi Steve some definite sights to see.

Ride around Loch Ness;
Applecross road( http://www.lochalsh.com/beallach/);
eilean donon(http://www.eileandonancastle.com/), ;
Talisker brewery on skye,;
St Andrews;
by pass aberdeen :) sorry aberdonians but its a grey town;
Fort Augustus basically a village;
Fort William a town, loads of accomodation;
Kyle of Lochalsh( gateway to skye and has a fabby chip shop, freshly caught fish);
Mallaig is worth a visit;
Loch Shiel but thats maybe primary good place to visit for Scots
Stirling, castle, historic jail and wallace momument;
Edinburgh, plenty to do, but opn a flying scottish visit best to by pass;
Inveraray, castle and historic jail;
Loch Lomond, road up the side of the loch to crianlarich was named as best biking road in britian by bike a few years ago;

Thats just a few things to see, probably good places to stop off in:
Inverness; St Andrews, be careful in golf season its hotching with poeple); fort william, loads of camp sites and b and bs; skye, almost every house takes in b & b people; If you are having a night in cities, glasgow and edinburgh have loads of places to stay; fort augustus also has plenty of b & bs.

You will likely be motoring some to visit all those in 5 days, dont let miles mislead you, the west is beautiful but the roads are not straight, and there are no motorways there, thank god.

Update Reply
tamaz @ 21/02/2009 20:08  

We've kind of worked out a rough itinery. Glasgow, Fort William. Skye, Ullapool, John'O'Groats, Inverness, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edingburgh, Home, we're just looking at fine tuning it.

Thanks for the suggestions T

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 20:16  

We've kind of worked out a rough itinery. Glasgow, Fort William. Skye, Ullapool, John'O'Groats, Inverness, Aberdeen, Dundee, Edingburgh, Home, we're just looking at fine tuning it.

Thanks for the suggestions T

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 20:18  

Ey up, Fred Elliots on the site, I said Fred Elliots on the site.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 20:19  

Thought u were going up the east coast, across top, and down the west? Or r u riding backwards?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/02/2009 20:20  

OOOoo ooooo ooooo what about Ullapool (lovely beaches up there as well!) & Oban - really good 'fast food' place in Oban on the harbour -freshly caught Crab, prawns etc etc all cooked for you there & then Tamaz, would lurve to go across to Harris!! & that road to Applecross - Pass of the cattle - think it's the steepest most twisty-est pass in Briatin isn't it? it's the most breathtaking road & views going - best to approach it from the back (look on the map & you'll see what i mean) as the view as you come towards it from Applecross just takes your breath away! Fort Augustus is lovely - there's an old Bridge there which was part of the General Wades road - apparently if you've got a crosser you can still ride that road across Scotland! Kyle of Lochalsh - haven't been there since they built the bridge - they only had the ferry last time I went! Perth is a lovely town too - worked up there for a year in 2000/2001...oh dear I could go on & on!! lol

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 21/02/2009 20:21  

Left/right. back/front, black/white, who cares, we're going up one side and back down the other.

Note to self - be a bit more careful when posting if you're on the outside of half a bottle of scotch

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 20:26  

yeah..er... no... the roads have really changed since you were all up here last.... loads more cars... and speed bumps.... and elephants..yeah... really wide elephants.... Tamaz - shhh... you are giving away all the secrets!!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 21/02/2009 20:40  

hey TC - though it was Fish Juice?? or have they recently added Elephants to the Fish Juice?? ** hmm - new flavour for walkers crisps methinks!!**

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 21/02/2009 20:42  

Arewe going to have a spate of jokes about Trunk roads now TC?

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 20:42  

Vinnie..........im not jealous..........MUCH!!!!

Update Reply
Karey @ 21/02/2009 20:43  

See what I mean about being careful - 'Arewe' - sounds like a character out of Lord Of The Rings.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 20:45  

Sorry TeeCee, didnt meantion loads of great places tho, tons of good ones where you are, and yep perth is lovely, lived in Dundee for a good 10 years or so. Where I learnt to ride in fact, when I was learning my standard wee jaunt was down the back roads to perth past scone etc, then up the dual carriageway back to Dundee.

Thats alot to do in 5 days Vinnie. Just hope its dry, around Loch Lomond it usually rains for 300 days off the year.

If Scotland didnt ahve midges or lots of rain we would be overrun with tourists from all over the world.

Update Reply
tamaz @ 21/02/2009 20:50  

1st time we went to Ireland it rained. It rained all the way to Portrush, it rained all the way to Dublin, it rained all the way out of Dublin on the way to Waterford. 20 miles out of Dublin it really started to rain and that's when we turned back round and went back. It rained from Dublin to Belfast the only time it stopped raining was 20 miles short of home.

We still had a good time.

Update Reply
vinnie @ 21/02/2009 21:13  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email