MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Day 2....failure!!!

Day 2....failure!!! (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Day 2....failure!!! (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Day 2....failure!!!

But if the battery's flat just use the kickstart. Or have you got one of these modern bikes where they forgot to fit it? That's the price of progress...

Update Reply
mat750 @ 29/12/2008 14:15  

Yippee it started, an no kick start. How long does it have to run for to charge battery??????

Update Reply
Jansky1960 @ 29/12/2008 14:28  

Is no one there now --- oh well will phone a friend

Update Reply
Jansky1960 @ 29/12/2008 14:30  

hey Jansky, if you read Geoff's post further up he says you've got to get out on it for a good 10 mins or so to get the battery charged. Mat, nope aint got a kickstart on mine! (must admit though, I did have to go & check )

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 29/12/2008 15:18  

it is generally agreed a good 10min ride will restore the energy used to start the bike. Just letting the bike idle will work but not as well as riding it.

Update Reply
Phil @ 29/12/2008 15:22  

Jansky, Geoff is little a bit optimistic. If you cranked it over a couple of times to start it more like 15-20 minutes ride to fully charge, especially if you have one of those nasty modern contraptions with no off switch for the lights. Leaving it on idle will take forever to charge as most bikes alternators scarcely charge below 1500 rpm.

Update Reply
prof @ 29/12/2008 15:39  

so following on from this seems as i have misplaced my bumper book of battery maintainance for girls, with a newish bike and new battery about how many times can i try to start it before it gives up the ghost?

Update Reply
julie j @ 29/12/2008 19:50  

Yours is a bigger bike Julie and is liable to have a much bigger battery, so will stand a little more abuse. That said, I still wouldn't recommend starting it over and over without giving it a decent run.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 29/12/2008 20:15  

abuse? dont know what you are implying ? i have noticed that it takes 3 or 4 goes to get started in the cold should this worry me? dont really know much about probs associated with winter start ups my 125 that i had last winter was fuel injected, the cbf has a manual choke and does not like the cold weather and anyway tis cruel and unusual torture to start the mini beast up for a few mins and the not take it out for a good thrashing, do you think that i am, some kind of tease?

Update Reply
julie j @ 29/12/2008 20:35  

tis cruel and unusual torture to start the mini beast up for a few mins and then not take it out for a good thrashing You may think that, but I couldn't possibly comment...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 29/12/2008 21:02  

ok, the optimate's worked a treat & it's now on trickle charge & nope, i didn't have to take the battery out have also ordered a new Clutch lever **thinks maybe I should have ordered a few of em!! ** However the weather here is pretty COLD & we've had a flurry of snow, so am guessing I aint going out on her for a while yet!!!!!

Update Reply
Holmfirthgirl @ 02/01/2009 12:35  

I managed to get mine out on sunday. I managed to last 17 miles to Gisburn before i turned round and came home. And that was my first ride since October! If my opinion is of any use to you, i start my bike every 10 days or so and let it run for 15-20mins. I stand outside with it and give it some long throttle bursts as if i was riding. I did the same last winter and it was fine. My mechanic(god love him) says as long as you run it long enough for the needle to move to normal operating temperature its should be enough to keep it going. He does recommend a ride round the block if you can, but the above is better than nothing. Stops yr carbs from gunking up. Obviously a good service(ooh err missus) is required before you start going out for proper runs, in march/april. I only use my battery charger when i've forgotten to start it for a couple of weeks, then give it a blast with the optimate overnight, and hey presto, good to go

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 02/01/2009 19:18  

An optimate was the best thing I got for my bike I'd get yourself one

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 19/01/2009 14:56  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email