MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Winter

Winter (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Winter (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Winter

i hope to have done the right thing.... i actually bought another bike to ride through the winter. so stored my main bike with a coating of wd40.. start it up once a week run it till warm and off choke kick the tyres then cover it up again, turn the grip heater on the winter bike to full then try to improve my riding skills in the frost...

Update Reply
burbrew @ 12/12/2008 09:59  

My late husband rode every day to work, no matter the weather...and as you can see from my profile I'm an all weather pillion...the worst time was when it snowed so much my ass was literally frozen to the seat...lol I think winter riding is brilliant because like Geoff said there is less traffic...and the countryside looks so pretty when its snowed...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 23/12/2008 00:01  

Have to agree with you on that one bikerchick... ...the tops of the snowy trees/bushes etc.....cold nipping at yer face...un beatable.....that feeling that you really are a part of the magical scenery you're riding/sliding through!

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 23/12/2008 00:12  

gravel,sky,gravel,sky,gravel,sky,cloud,gravel,sky,gravel,dog turd,slide,sky,gravel,hot air balloon,ooh,are they waving?gravel,sky,gravel,squashed heghehog,ouch,sky,gravel,sky,used french letter,slide again,bush,feck!!ambulance,hospital,insurance claim.
The joys of giving it just that little too much on winter roads
That's why cheap MZ's were invented

Update Reply
Oggy @ 23/12/2008 07:01  

Cheap MZs!!! Have you seen the price people are asking on ebay these days? I've had a couple so I'm more loyal to them than most, and I know that given decent tyres and a Honda front brake transplant they can be useful machines, but even so, there are limits

Update Reply
Wills @ 23/12/2008 09:45  

To be fair, ok it may be temperatures in the double figures out there, but it's still winter and I've loved the last couple of days riding into work and back. Traffic a lot lighter than normal cos of Christmas, roads are dry and clean(ish) ... slide me bum cheek off the seat on a roundabout ... redline in second, redline in third ... check speedo (oh!!), slow down (a little). Fun times! I love biking!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/12/2008 11:31  

Always remember getting the blowtorch out of the shed in order to defrost the frozen gate so that I can get the bike out to go to work!! Geoff, COLD water woulda done the job. When I had a bike on the road I rode all year round but I wouldn't ever ride in ice, snow or wind stronger than 25 mph. I didn't have the luxury of a garage to store my bike in so I used a bike cover but as the bike was on the road most of the time it didn't need 'hibernation' treatment, just overnite snuggles. lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 23/12/2008 13:13  

Yeah, but I was late already. Plus being a man, why use a jug of cold water ...... when you have a blowtorch!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 23/12/2008 15:17  

No logical answer to that one Geoff.....and in my humble opinion, none needed!! Second n third redliners at roundabouts hey??!!....someones been getting a good fix of adrenaline today!...nice one geez

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 23/12/2008 22:55  

Now lets get this into perspective Geoff - are we talking about mini-roundabouts, or the M25?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 23/12/2008 23:14  

I'm not saying what my laptime for the M25 is! In a truck you counted it on a calender!

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 28/12/2008 12:39  

I hate the M25 with a passion, I used to go on it just to bait the police,unfortunately I never managed to get away due to the fecking jams on there!

Update Reply
Oggy @ 05/01/2009 20:58  

Used to go on M25 to bait Officer Dibble hey oggy?!.........tut..tut.....................would never have done such a naughty thing myself.....oh no.....not me officer.....

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 05/01/2009 21:26  

I tend to ride all year but one bike is prepped till spring normally. If you use redex or Silkolene PRO FST fuel stabiliser then theres no need to drain the carbs. Also there is also no need to squirt oil down the bores unless its being stored for a long time. Modern oil now last so much longer its a false economy to change it before spring if it is still within milage/service limits. You only need change it if you can see a lot of moisture sitting in the sight glass or it has mayonaised on the dipstick. Anti corrosion treatments are a good idea for frame/engine electrics etc and brake calipers/wheels can be wiped with WD-40. Don't use GT-85? to lube cables as 99% of newer cables have a nylon inner for the cable to run through and some lubricants actually cause the nylon to expand and trap the cable. A squirt of WD-40 down the bores is enough to protect the combustion chambers but if you start or turn the bike over once a week they will be fine. Running a battery right down then using a top up charger like an optimate will keep the battery healthy. If you use sports bias tyres then junk them and fit sports touring tyres, these warm up a whole lot quicker and grip over a wider range of temperatures than a pure sports tyre (which for 90% of riders is a waste of money and a false economy) Body work and chrome can be protected with a quick wax car polish and rebuffed in the spring. Mr Sheen is just aas good and contains beeswax if your skint. If you can get the bike rolling or moving reguarly to stop the brakes seizing then so much the better. Clean the chain with WD-40 and relube. This will stop it rusting and forming tight spots.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 07/01/2009 06:57  

i ride the odd time thru winter , i put either scotoil anti corrision spray or acf 50 on. i keep to odd sunny cold days .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/12/2009 16:25  

Not sure about the roads being clean. Went up to Mallory Park for the Plum Pudding races today. Couldn't see for the cr*p all over my visor. Only about 20-30 bikes there in total.

Update Reply
Rob1050 @ 26/12/2009 19:16  

I like to ride all year, makes good practice. there is no reason why one cannot ride the bike all year round,providing you take the extra precauctionary measures needed for the winter wrap.............

Update Reply
bikerbitch @ 30/12/2009 11:11  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email