MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Post test training

Post test training - Forums [Biker Match] Post test training - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Post test training

Hi All

I'm looking for some input from you all on post test training, who's got experience good or bad of IAM & Rospa tests and training or other avenues. I'd like to continue training at some level but not sure who to go to, even the bike school I used for DAS are bringing some stuff out too.

Thanks,
Nick

Update Reply
njl @ 20/11/2008 20:01  

Hi Nick and welcome to BM I've only just done my CBT myself, but there's lots of great ppl on here who will no doubt be able to give u some good pointers. Take a look at the events pages, see if you can get along to any of the meets. You'll get lots of good advice there too. Good Luck Kaz

Update Reply
Karey @ 20/11/2008 20:14  

Hi Nick If you contact your local police they should tell you about the training courses they do ...altho I couldn't swear to it down in your area..but up here in Yorkshire and Humberside we at MAG arranged with the police to put on courses......it's worth a try anyways mate

Update Reply
Herne @ 20/11/2008 20:51  

have a look for your local bikesafe course www . bikesafe.co.uk

Update Reply
Phil @ 20/11/2008 20:52  

i was in the police back in england, and in the police bike club. Had some good ride outs with them guys and got lots of good advice. It was 2 police officers (Ch Insp and a Sgt) who took me right through all my training until i passed. If you can get out with ur local bobbies i'd highly recommend it!

Update Reply
Matt @ 20/11/2008 20:58  

Have to agree with you Matt I also found em brilliant

Update Reply
Herne @ 20/11/2008 21:08  

Thanks for your posts folks, I had booked up on the last local bikesafe this year but some fool decided to push over my bike a few nights before so was left down one hanger and peg over that weekend, I did go along for the theory bits though. It looks as is I have an IAM bike group quite local and a ROSPA group too, I'll aim to sound them both out and go from there, I'll let you know how it goes!

Update Reply
njl @ 20/11/2008 22:01  

I'm going for some post test training in spring. I'm lucky in that a friend of mine is a traffic/motorcycle bobby. He's a nutter on his own bike, but he's promised to take me out and give me some tuition(as it should be ridden, not how he rides lol). Am sure i'll let you all know what i learn

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 20/11/2008 22:12  

I need some brush up training as well actually. Will have to look at this come spring. Did quite a few courses a long while back, advanced course, performance riding courses, cornering courses etc, but as with everyone I have picked up bad habits over the years. A number of police districts (Yorkshire is one of them) offer free assessment rides. This is where one of the police instructors goes out with you for an hour or two and then just offers some advice afterwards, including what sort of training you should look at. I'll probably look at doing that.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 20/11/2008 22:23  

since passing my test (june) ive had a few days random training, all have been helpful and mostly good fun so i would def advise anybody to do the same, im not sure that the driving test is a good indicator of the required level of skill for keeping yourself safe , it`s something i will carry on with next yr.

Update Reply
julie j @ 22/11/2008 14:35  

have a look at this thread http://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?to...ic_id=1816 It has some good suggestions in it

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 22/11/2008 15:18  

The IAM offer good post test training at a reasonable cost - currently £109 for a Skills for Life package - this takes you to advanced test level and the test fee is included in the cost. Over and above that you are usually asked to contribute towards your Observor's fuel costs (remember they are trained volunteers and don't get paid for their input). Bikesafe is great but many people find they want/need something ongoing and usually the Bikesafe crew recommend further advanced training as their day is more of a 'taster' for advanced riding. Rospa is another candidate but I'm not sure of the costs involved with their courses. Brilliant that you want to continue with developing your riding skills - might just save your life one day - hope it never comes to that tho'.

Update Reply
CHATPAL @ 22/11/2008 16:50  

probably will tho, and ull be glad you did the training.

Update Reply
Matt @ 22/11/2008 16:58  

Hi Nick u should try IAM, up here they give good training and its ongoing with them organizing rides and socials ect

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 22/11/2008 17:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email