MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

I've booked my CBT!!!

I've booked my CBT!!! (5) - Forums [Biker Match] I've booked my CBT!!! (5) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

I've booked my CBT!!!

Good tips there geoff but hard to read in white. I always do my BOLTS check before I go out on my bike, Brakes Oil Lights Tyres Steering This was something I learnt on my bike mechanics course there was another word that stood for various checks but can't think of it at the moment. Wheelie you need your cbt to be able to get practice on a 125. See you tomorrow night unless the weather is too bad to drive on the motorway.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 02/12/2008 21:41  

This is always an alternative opton

Update Reply
Misty 1 @ 02/12/2008 21:58  

Seen a guy carrying a double bed frame on back of a bike once but never a motorbike

Update Reply
micksaway @ 02/12/2008 22:04  

geoff many thanks for the advice,will print it out your a hun arfer me a tough cookie, but today did push it, won't give up have to pay another £30 TO DO IT AGAIN

Update Reply
Wheelienice @ 02/12/2008 22:29  

I know, I know ...... lol

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 02/12/2008 23:25  

Another £30= not good Pass paper in yer pocket=all good

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 02/12/2008 23:25  

You might be pleasantly surprised Wheelie - I was expecting a £30 hire charge plus a £15 insurance waiver thingamybob...

I went back for 2 hours in the car park, and another time for my 2 hours on the road, so was expecting a total bill of £90.

Fella didn't charge me a penny, bless 'im

I have told him that he WILL charge me when I have my refresher lesson if I ever get hold of a 125 though... he has no choice in the matter. I know it's not his only source of income (he's also an emergency organs transporter) but even so, bloke's got to make a living somehow!

You'll be amazed how much easier it is the 2nd time round - all those things you struggled with today will suddenly fall into place and if you're lucky enough to hit a pleasant, dry day, it'll be even easier. Well done you!

CG's efforts duly noted - many thanks for keeping up the good work girlie

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 02/12/2008 23:37  

Well done Wheelienice!! Late for work but will reply more fully this evening, couldn't get on the site last to see how'd you done but I was thinking of you. :o)

Update Reply
Roachy @ 03/12/2008 07:57  

Hey Wheelienice.. u keep in there! I know exactly where you coming from. I too went back for a 2nd day and like WB, I dint havta pay agen, my instructor was brilliant and said i could come back however many times it took and they wouldn't charge me, in fact i think he said they weren't allowed to?!? But he did say it would cost me if i went back for a refresher, so maybe you need to clarify that wiv him. Also the scooter option was was offered to me. I was the only one on a geared bike, both times! and the others were mainly experienced on their little scoots. I was strugglin a bit round the cones and my instructor said 'why don't u try the scooter, especially as you've never ridden a bike before...?' So I did try it, but hated it !! lol It wasn't me .. and anyway I wanted to learn gears, not just how to twist & go! lol When i got back on the GS125 i found the cones a lot easier :o) And the 'target fixation' thing really does work! it sounds weird, but it was drilled into me from the start, and the one time i looked down at the road instead of direction i was goin in.. i had a wobble and went wide. Sooo... get bak out there.. have fun... and try not to worry/panic.. i know i probs did, when i was in yr situation, but in hindsight, I loved it and it was a fantastic feeling gettin that certificate ! Good Luck !

Update Reply
Karey @ 03/12/2008 08:59  

With regard to charging for additional training: they're allowed to make a charge to cover bike hire/insurance (and gear/lid hire, if applicable) They're not allowed to charge again for the training itself. It's a one-off fee. As I understand it ;o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 03/12/2008 09:16  

Ahh rite, Lou, I guess they just use their discretion. :o)

Update Reply
Karey @ 03/12/2008 10:20  

Aye... and they discreetly realised that thee and me are bleddy marvellous individuals who deserved a freebie

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 03/12/2008 10:33  

yayyyy.....and they weren't wrong ... such good taste !

Update Reply
Karey @ 03/12/2008 10:41  

karey and wana, you lucky seems I am in wrong part of country,I would go back as many times as it took to do the bike test, but can't keep forking out 30 quid each time. need to get on the road for experance, so scooter may be the option, 125 scooter may be the way to go, as I KNOW WILL PASS THAT ONE.......can put shopping basket on the front, and chuck my leathers oh no

Update Reply
Wheelienice @ 03/12/2008 19:54  

I was expecting to pay £45 a time (South East - everything costs more round here! lol) but after I did the road section and had the ink still wet certificate clutched in my mitt, I whipped out my cheque book and he refused the money!

He just said he was dead chuffed that I'd stuck with it, after being convinced I'd be one of his "walkers" who gives up after the first 5 minutes. Said the look on my face was payment enough

I told him he was as soft as me and he agreed... I even tried to give him some cash for a bevvy as thanks or at least to get some petrol but he just laughed and told me to beggar off and enjoy it!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 03/12/2008 20:00  

Havent been on for a while so just caught up reading the posts. Thank you all for you support. Did re-book but chickened out on the day......i know .....i know.......but knew i couldnt handle it that day, head was screwed up going over and over trying to remember what to do before i got there. After reading the encouragement from you guys.....i will book again. My 125 is now right outside my kitchen window as a reminder its no good to me without cbt certificate.....lol. Brill list Geoff, very encouraging, you make it sound so easy, so why is it so dificult??? lol Sorry to hear u didnt pass sheila, but good on you girl for trying in this weather. Proud of you !! Will phone you soon hun, when you come to shrews, we will go out and celebrate you passing, cos u ll have done it by then. Soz didnt make it to bike show with u hun,sodding work took priority !!! well got to fund this bike lark. somehow.....lol. Thanx again guys for all the input......xxx

Update Reply
Bikerchick21 @ 03/12/2008 21:49  

Don't beat yourself up BC21 - you made the right decision... If your head's all over the place, you'll just make things harder for yourself.

When you rebook it, make sure you get a good night's sleep beforehand and do whatever it takes to relax yourself... get there in plenty of time - nothing worse than turning up late and all of a fluster! lol

Get yourself into the right frame of mind and it'll all fall into place... and keep gazing at that 125 for inspiration!

I only have a picture to look at

And always remember - it's fun!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 03/12/2008 22:21  

Come on Wheelienice and bikerchick21...we're in this together! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> Tomorrow is my...ermmm, 2nd proper attempt but 3rd really. I'm doing the CBT from scratch with another school so I have to start at the beginning but I have much more confidence with the school/instructor and in my own abilities. It was starting to come together last week and then I was pulled off the bike (30 mins early) after only 5 mins of said improvement - not terribly helpful. <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> I'm doing it on my own bike so I'm pleased I'll be taught how to ride this particular bike (hoping I don't hate it!) esp as it doesn't have a side stand - yet! <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> I really hope I can post tomorrow that I have my CBT cert but one thing is for sure, I'm not giving up! <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> I understand the cost issues too. I was charged £10 per hour bike hire to go back the 2nd day and I think that's wrong, that works out at almost the cost of a full CBT day, if there for the day. Is your £30 for a full day on the bike - if I think that's more reasonable but can still understand the cost implications. <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> As with most things in life, you'll do it when you’re ready and there is no point forcing the issue and stressing yourself. I really believe we've done the hardest part. Despite me going very much downhill at the start of my second attempt, I did vastly improve on the day before and I knew what to do to stop (my sticking point, keep almost falling over), I just needed more practice doing it. <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> Don't feel you have to post your next attempt on here either if you feel that's pressure you don't need. <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> Well fingers crossed for the weather tomorrow, that's scaring me at the moment more than anything else!! <o:p></o:p> <o:p></o:p> *wonders if this post is a contender for a concise award?* <o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Roachy @ 04/12/2008 08:42  

*welcomes Roachy to the Concise-Battlers-Support-Group*

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 04/12/2008 09:39  

The weather will be fine tomorrow hun ...... the weather will be fine!! If it ain't then Mother Nature will have me to deal with lol!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 04/12/2008 13:01  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email