MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

Insurance, know the legalities?

Insurance, know the legalities? - Forums [Biker Match] Insurance, know the legalities? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

Insurance, know the legalities?

Ok, i'm hoping that someone may be able to shed a little light on a dilemma i have at mo....please bear with me. I recently changed insurers, and the price they gave me was inclusive of the 4 years no claims bonus i have with my previous insurers. They have asked for proof of that, so i've contacted old firm, and they have told me that i have an outstanding balance with them, and until this is paid off, they wont send me the confirmation letter i need. I know about the outstanding balance, and although i think it's a rip off, it will be paid, but i cant pay it all back as quickly as i need the paperwork, so what i need to know, is can they legally hold onto the info i need until balance has been paid, or are they using this as a tactic to try to make me cough up quicker? Hope that makes sense! Thanks guys, i'm well out of my depth here

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 20/10/2008 17:14  

In the absence of anything more useful or anyone who's actually knowledgeable...

Worth giving your new insurers the old insurance contact details and policy number etc - they're supposed to talk to each other?

Otherwise, I suspect they probably have you over a barrel... If the old policy had run up until renewal, you'd have got your proof of no claims with the renewal notice.

I've had a browse around my financial advice forums but can't find anything much of use, other than that bit about getting the new insurers to obtain it direct from the old ones. But that advice was to someone whose previous insurers just weren't playing ball - they didn't have any outstanding balance.

Don't know the legal score I'm afraid... Just know that insurance companies will apparently do anything they possibly can to avoid their responsibilities on any matter whatsoever, while gleefully pocketing your money.

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 20/10/2008 19:21  

I was about to say much the same myself. The NCB entitlement should be in your renewal notice, but the outstanding matter may be a spanner in the works.
You could try the CAB or your local council trading standards people, or perhaps you've got access to free legal advice from other sources - many companies and trades unions offer it as a perk to employees/members, and if you're in the RAC or AA they can probably offer advice.

Update Reply
Wills @ 20/10/2008 19:47  

Thanks for the advice WB, Wills, much appreciated:o) Going to CAB on thursday, see what they can come up with. Once again, thanks for your time:o)

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 21/10/2008 16:57  

Try contacting Bike mag or Ride mag. They both have a legal column and therefore I presume they have an in house lawyer. Failing that ring up an independant insurance broker and pretend that you are going to take a policy through them and pose your question to them.

Update Reply
napoleon @ 21/10/2008 19:22  

Both good ideas Napoleon, thanks for that

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 21/10/2008 19:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email