MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Jokes, Games & Silly Things

Recommend a good book?

Recommend a good book? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Recommend a good book? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Jokes, Games & Silly Things /

Recommend a good book?

2 new names to me - cheers TTM - will check both out :o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 31/10/2008 11:04  

...or just checkout anything posted on "this day in history"...should keep u busy/entertained 4 a bit...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/10/2008 19:00  

Um... yeah... right XK

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 01/11/2008 01:10  

Ok guys n gals, have had to trawl through the archives n give this thread a BUMP................................ Getting dangerously close to running out of reading material again.......not good..............noticed we've got some new faces around, so thought i'd give it a shot..................what you got then peeps?:o)

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 04/01/2009 22:08  

Hey Arf,don't know if scottish historical novels are of interest to you but can recommend DK Broster,jacobite rebellion era is his speciality. Personally love a good horror,anything by james herbert,stephen king or dean r koontz will float my boat.Not blood n guts horror and most have a good twist in the tale.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/01/2009 22:21  

Cheers cassie.............DK Broster duly noted:o)..............

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 04/01/2009 22:30  

If you like historical(ish) try George MacDonald Fraser - The Flashman novels are great fun. The history is accurate apart from the insertion of Flashman into everything from the Schleswig Holstein problem, Charge Of The Light Brigade,Indian Mutiny,Boxer Rebellion, Little Big Horn etc etc. If you hated Tom Brown you will love Flashys career

Update Reply
prof @ 06/01/2009 00:22  

If horror's your thing Cassie, then have you tried anything by my old classmate at school Clive Barker?
Now there's a seriously disturbed guy...

Update Reply
Wills @ 06/01/2009 00:28  

i like stephen king ,bag of bones my favourite,ben elton quite good too especially high society,if you liked the davinci code you will probably like the genesis code by john case,was out long befor the davinci code and if it had had the same publicity it probably would have been more contaversial,was dissapointed it didn`t mention phil collins though lol

Update Reply
blakbird @ 06/01/2009 00:38  

Cheers for that Wills,sounds like just my kinda guy!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/01/2009 13:30  

Cheers prof................George Macdonald Fraser duly noted:o).........................keep em coming folks!

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 06/01/2009 13:57  

Just finished a couple of excellent reads:

"The End of Mr Y" by Scarlett Thomas - given the subject content, which skips through quantum physics, religion, self-loathing and love, via philosophy and parallel realities, it's an absolute page-turner! ;o) A very talented and knowledgeable author, who leaves you hungry to explore the subject matter further.

And "The Chinatown Deathcloud Peril" by erm... I forget now... pulp fiction - a real swashbuckler of a story, centred around 2 rival pulp fictioneers, trying to work out what's real and what's pulp... and now I know where L. Ron Hubbard nicked his ideas to make up Scientology... must go get some H.P. Lovecraft to read!

I also enjoyed Nation by Terry Pratchett but as I read it overnight in hospital spaced out of my head on morphine, I probably ought to read it again! Hehehe!

I'm halfway through "The Cairo Diary" by Maxim Chattam, which is pretty disappointing so far... I'll finish it just to see what happens, but I don't rate the author and the codes/puzzles in it are even more simplistic than the Da Vinci Code!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 06/01/2009 23:21  

Thanks for the post WB, most informative!........................real good to see you back too:o).........hope yer recovery is going ok:o)...............

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 06/01/2009 23:41  

Well I'm catching up on my reading if nothing else ;o)

Oh... I also read the trilogy of stories... erm... something like Twilight, Eclipse and New Moon (I think?) - one's just been made into a movie... vampire stories... so-so, for light/quick reading purposes... I think they've probably been written with a teenage audience in mind.

I think I'm fine, then I take a stroll down the shops and I'm absolutely wasted. Being looked after does wonders for yer nails though - fully manicured and painted for the first time in at least a decade

And the chain mail jewellery is going great guns. I don't have time for work!

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 06/01/2009 23:47  

Real good to hear all that stuff:o).......BM def aint the same without you around me dear

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 06/01/2009 23:50  

Would recommend Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Update Reply
tamaz @ 22/01/2009 22:12  

thanks for that tamaz................in what ilk has it been written geez?...................

Update Reply
Triumph_Sy @ 23/01/2009 18:52  

i just read the paper but the long words were a bit much for me so il stick with me comics and read slow using me finger to guide me. im getting better by the day i can spell appel now!

Update Reply
stmarysloch @ 24/01/2009 15:34  

Catch 22's a satirical book set in the final years of WW2. It deals with the absurdities of war, the military and bureauracy in general.

Update Reply
mat750 @ 24/01/2009 16:13  

Catch 22 is one of the best "war time" novels ever written IMO... It'll have you laughing and crying... absurd, insane and ridiculous... and oh so true. And of course, it's where the phrase "Catch 22" came from, part of everyday language now. You can also catch up with Yossarian and Milo years later in the follow up story "Closing Time"... just don't do a direct comparison between the 2 books... yes, it's a sequel, but it doesn't have the war time backdrop i.e. the readymade setting for satire at its finest. It's still an enjoyable and bizarre read... don't be put off by the trashing a lot of Catch 22 fans give it. :o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 25/01/2009 16:41  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email