MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What was yours?...

What was yours?... (2) - Forums [Biker Match] What was yours?... (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What was yours?...

Hi all did anyone else ever own a Wartburg Knight 3 cylinder two stroke, 3 coils 3 sets of points in one distributer. you could disengage drive and freewheel whilst still in gear, had to watch out for brake fade on the hills but my did that car fly.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/10/2008 05:37  

Back to the thread my first car was a Wolsey 1500 built in heavy plate steel with a tendency to rust Now this is when cars were built not shoved together, big chrome bumpers, real leather interior, and a proper walnut dash board, turned on the ignition with a key and then a masive start button to press, to bring it burbling into life. Dip switch for the lights on the floor next to clutch pedal. It did have syncromesh gears but to be honest you had to double de clutch to guarantee getting the next gear. What fond memories.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/10/2008 05:53  

Well, I have seen a Wartburg Knight cos a mate of my dad had one, but that's as far as it goes.
I once had a Citroen Dyane with a 'trafficlutch', which was a second, centrifugal, clutch after the conventional clutch in the drive train. Idea was you could leave it in gear and at idling speed the drive would be disconnected. A dab on the accelerator was all you needed to move off.
A friend who drove it was badly caught out coming down a hill in Wales. Engine idling, she just controlled the speed with the brakes (bad habit, I know) until at about 40mph she touched the accelerator whereupon the Citroen promptly went into a nasty skid as the full engine braking kicked in. Definitely a brown underpants moment!
If the Wolseley had a column change then once wear in the linkages set in, synchromesh was pretty irrelevant anyway.

Update Reply
Wills @ 03/10/2008 06:17  

Ford Capri looks OK, I s'pose.... Errr...... The Trans Am/Pontiac/whatever that they used for Knight Rider is still cool, though!!! 1934 Ford Fordor, maybe. Face's Corvette from the A-Team?

Update Reply
ttaskmaster @ 03/10/2008 07:56  

i still love old landys. can remember dad had an old peugot family estate to fit all us kids in,we used to fight over who went in the very back seat cus mum couldnt reach us to smack us...lol!

Update Reply
witchiest @ 04/10/2008 15:13  

yeah my kids used to take the piss in the old pug then sit back knowing you couldn,t reach them

Update Reply
old red @ 04/10/2008 15:29  

mum learnt to throw stuff at us tho...lol!

Update Reply
witchiest @ 05/10/2008 05:45  

I had an old Mondeo estate when the kids were smaller, with a third row of seats facing backwards.
The boys used to scramble for the 'back back' seats cos they knew they were out of range of the grown ups in the front.
A trip to Wales cured them, though. Facing backwards along a few twisty roads will give anyone car sickness, and they were a sort of kawasaki green when they got out!

Update Reply
Wills @ 05/10/2008 06:48  

just reading your description has made me feel car sick wills!!!

Update Reply
witchiest @ 05/10/2008 11:15  

1st car and still 1 of my favs because it was so bad was a skoda 105 lux oh i was 17 and thought it was the bees knees

Update Reply
bostonbiceps @ 10/10/2008 19:15  

my 1st car was a capri, learnt to drive in it, i remember when i was working in the kitchens of an army camp and every one was away on hols i thought id give it a wash like ya do thought ill use the army`s hot water soap etc ooo and their time! so filled a bucket from the boiler and chucked it over, whole car turned patchy, like it had been tie dyed! well it was unique anyway!

Update Reply
julie j @ 10/10/2008 20:29  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email