MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Sat Nav(to buy or not to buy)

Sat Nav(to buy or  not to buy) (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Sat Nav(to buy or  not to buy) (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Sat Nav(to buy or not to buy)

by the way, i used to be a GPS-hater. Always swore by maps etc and didn't see the point in a GPS. Since I bought one, i've never looked back! I went from Holland to Callis without using a motorway! All back streets, tiny farm roads, etc. Was a brilliant ride! Wouldn't have remembered them to do it without GPS though, was turning every 200 metres at least. Some of the streets wouldn't have even been on ur standard map!

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/09/2008 03:11  

For those 50+ yrs old:- SunAlliance have an insurance policy starting at £6 mth. Sign up, and u can choose a free gift - 1 of which is a satnav! And u can stop the policy anytime after the 1st payment...not that I'm suggesting anything mind.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/09/2008 04:54  

Sorry TM. I'll have to remember i must respect my elders.

Update Reply
bluesbiker @ 14/09/2008 09:52  

Come on guys, go easy!! We have had this "discussion" previously and I think we can safely say that some people (many of whom were sat nav sceptics including myself) swear by their little voices in the ear ("KILL, KILL, KILL") and some don't see the point in them. I am of course one of the former and given that I am always right (apart from when I am wrong of course), if you feel differently then you are simply wrong .......... lol

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 14/09/2008 16:04  

ok 'young man' not yu geof yu baby faced cherub!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 14/09/2008 16:05  

Thanks for the comp Julie J I just did a simple wiring job to give you an AUX power output under your seat. I did however say that looking at the darn thing was not the best way to use it, hope you will eventually get a cheepy just for your bike (with an ear phone jack) or upgrade helmet and satnav to bluetooth (that's my treat to me when I get my compo lol) plus the stunt/trails school

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 14/09/2008 17:11  

really thats all i was concerned about to much lookin down we need to be so alert an to be able to see whats goin on around us already limited by helmet vision and if its rainin even more so!an evenin spent route plannin does no harm an helps to make one familiar with the route!nowt wrong wiv pullin over gettin a coffee an lookin at a map an maybe forty winks ,still! whatever floats yer boat i guess! i remember gettin lost once an campin somewhere i didnt plan an had a great evenin with some peeps i met!!so theres always the unexpected sometimes!! maybe me bein a boy scout an learnin to navigate with map s an stuff had a lastin effect!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 14/09/2008 17:40  

my goodness didnt mean to start a big debate, just a wee tip for anyone wanting to save some dosh. Was out all day at Show at Scone Palace,Perth.Loads of Bikes tractors cars lorries at show and loads of auto jumble.Great day out in sunshine and great run down and back on my bike. No Sat Nav used today as roughly knew in my head where I was going. Dont always use it myself, but its handy to have available to use. HAPPY BIKING ALL with or without sat nav.

Update Reply
biffo bear @ 14/09/2008 19:32  

Aw... didn't realise it was Scone this weekend!! We rode out to Scone and then returned via Kirriemuir and Blairgowrie. If you get a chance, take the A93 from Blairgowrie to Bridge of Allan - they have built a new piece of road bypassing the old metal bridge and it is fantastic!!

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 14/09/2008 19:56  

thats what forums are for innit!! an yure right could be a useful tool for some specially st adresses for your delivery boy's i guess!jus sayin yu dont ave to ave em!an usin the old grey matter staves of hey! who are yu people ?where am i?where's fiery? your not a doctor youre a baker!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 15/09/2008 05:23  

hey teecee you wouldnt be the ones that passed me doing about 60 in a 30 when i was stoppped at turn off to scone entrance to grounds. lots of boys in blue around. you missed a good day. anyone know what is on at moniaive in dumfries at weekend? I am going down to my brothers and he says there is some bike thing on but is clueless what it is.

Update Reply
biffo bear @ 15/09/2008 16:08  

just catching up on this so in order to clarify, am not riding around looking at me sat nav, doin me nails or textin me kids! i just have a quick glance at the screen if im stopped at a junction and i can hear chuntering away it in in the bag as i slow down, its very reassuring setting off to unfamiliar destinations and not having the stress of figuring out road signs which nowadays are like reading an essay before you get to the bit you want, or you get to the bit you want and it gets obsured by a bloomin great lorry ,its a bit like having your mate there reading the map for you and when youre billy no bikey mates like me then that makes a big difference, so yes i would def recommend eveyone who thinks that they might want one to give it a go.

Update Reply
julie j @ 15/09/2008 16:37  

I use an HP Ipaq rx5935 with Tom Tom 6 but have only used it once on my bike when I was riding into the centre of Edinburgh to visit a dealer. Had it in my tank bag but not visible as I had it piped into my bluetooth headset. It was invaluable as I knew that I would have more than enough on my hands dealing with the peak traffic on the ring road. (also roughly memorised the route in case of hardware failure/non-sensical directions!) Biffo - 60 in a 30 is not our thing! Not sure about event in Dumfries. If I find anything out I will PM you.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 15/09/2008 16:56  

HP IPAQ RX 5935--TOM TOM 6....tooooo technical Tee Cee are there things on the market that maybe i could understand ?...(probably not)

Update Reply
old red @ 15/09/2008 17:16  

Sorry - pointy arrow thing say go dat way! Probably gave too much info there - my bad. Was just trying to say that the one time I used my sat nav on a bike I had it on audio only and still memorised my route the best I could (including having a paper backup) just in case. I am sure there are very easy to use sat navs out there, red and I am sure others can suggest a few. Some of the sub-£100 units I have seen reviewed seem to be pretty capable.

Update Reply
TeeCee @ 15/09/2008 17:24  

now yer talking my language....sub-£100 units/pretty capable--- i understand things when they,re explained like that

Update Reply
old red @ 15/09/2008 17:39  

theres loads of older sat navs up for sale as people always want better and bigger ones. Basic ones like tom tom one are perfect for bike. set it for avoiding motorways and you get all the best bike routes. TeeCee didnt think that was your thing right enough. Did the speed bit when I was younger prefer to take in the scenery these days. Drive in line with my age. Does that mean If I still have a bike at 90!? Doesnt bear thinking about.Lol

Update Reply
biffo bear @ 16/09/2008 04:53  

so im gonna bite the bullet and buy one!cant be trekking from one end of the country to the other in my usual fashion so all of this is quite old, what is current opinion on this? i dont have £400 pounds spare so initially will be looking on ebay, is there an particular model i should avoid what should i look out for?

Update Reply
julie j @ 24/02/2009 19:09  

reet !!i have bought a twat nav!![waits for matt to call me a hypocrite!!] a tom tom classic with european mapping[plus a route to Harrogate!] 99 squid from curry's soooo simple to use even julie could do it!!! small enough to fit in pocket for pedestrian use!,now i cocked up cos i thought the thing came with earphone jack![bought in a rush]doh! but i taped the passenger microphone microphone from a bike intercom unit to it[all of 4.99 from aldi!] shove it all in the tank bag an it works a treat! now you probably can hear the thing just from the tank bag without a mic attached to it as its quite loud! i'll let youknow as i havent tried it on the bike yet!![i have noisy pipes on}all a bit heath robinson but it works! [have to fit a cigarette type socket for the charger but thats not hard]

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 24/02/2009 19:34  

have used the tom tom 1 from the car on the bike and its ok but would like one properly positioned and with an earpiece

Update Reply
julie j @ 24/02/2009 19:41  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email