MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Classifieds & Swap Shop

sat nav wanted

sat nav wanted - Forums [Biker Match] sat nav wanted - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Classifieds & Swap Shop /

sat nav wanted

does anyone have a sat nav for sale, nothing too complicated only needed for uk use

Update Reply
julie j @ 30/07/2008 04:41  

I got mine from Halfords only £99.99 not waterproof but i put it in my tankbag with an earphone in and it works fine RAC make or endorse it so it's not bad at all but i'm sure there are others out there that are now better value i've had mine almost a year now! You can get some with mp3 playback in them too.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 30/07/2008 05:26  

This one is £55. The software that's on it is perfectly adequate but it's very easy to hack it to run other software. Again it's not waterproof, but it's easy to bung in a tank bag. It can also play mp3s and video. IMHO it's the best budget unit on the market. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131342

Update Reply
mat750 @ 30/07/2008 10:25  

I managed to get a second Navman iCN320 a few weeks ago for £30 odd eBay. Pretty bog-standard, but it's simple to use and does what I want, ie making tricky bits of navigation easy when you're on your own. Haven't tried it on the bike yet. The £55 Navigo that mat750 suggests sounds pretty impressive, too.

Update Reply
Wills @ 30/07/2008 11:48  

Just looked at it if I needed one I'd seriously condiser it (there is a 4.5" screen one too but the amp hour on the rechargable battery is lower than the budget model and you do not get head phones) nether come with a home charger but probably charge off the usb cable, but it's a simple enough job to fit a cigar lighter/aux socket under a seat or behind panel to have this run off the bikes electrics on the move.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 30/07/2008 11:53  

and Lidi's do a good-ish one it's there home brand sort of thing Medion the reason i say it is good it because it come with all the things you will need to attached it to a bike and is not waterproof but has it own little water proof bag that you can see through. plays mp3 and come with head phone or blue tooth on some models the only fault that i have to say is that the set up is a bit tricky to start off untill you get use to. (or someone shows you) and the touch screen is a bit of a bugger with gloves on but other than that it cheap and works fine. at the other end of the market is the tom tom which i belive they have just made one that is for us biker all touch screen with big button for gloved fingers but you look atleast a ton upward i would say for something like that. but they are very good.

Update Reply
Blitz @ 05/08/2008 12:21  

If you mean the Tomtom Rider, it's more like £300!! I'll settle for my £55 Navigo in a £20 tankbag...

Update Reply
mat750 @ 05/08/2008 12:58  

sorry about being flash i have just bought a 3g i phone sat nav seems ok dont know what its like on my bike it might not keep up on the bike but works good in car £100 on contract of £30 a month

Update Reply
old gixer boy @ 05/08/2008 14:04  

thanks for that, i have 3g contract so may try to wangle an up grade, really wanted to buy a second hand bike one,was sure somebody would have one knocking about!

Update Reply
julie j @ 05/08/2008 16:17  

Since this thread started I've seen a used Garmin Streetpilot III for for £65: robust and weatherproof and designed for bike use as well as cars. Trouble is they were £800-ish four years back and although they can now be picked up pretty cheap some of the accesories such as a bike mount seem to have prices that reflect the original unkit price. There's been some dicussion on another (BMW) bike forum I'm on, and some people use a car one and then just put a plastic bag over it if the weather gets bad. I'm going to try that with the Navman. Still think that Navigo sounds promising...

Update Reply
Wills @ 05/08/2008 18:36  

The only problem with 3G is a serious lack of coverage (the end of my street has it whilest as my end none!) so serious consideration should be given if you think using a phone will be any where near as reliable as a true sat nav that uses triagulation of 3 or more satalites!   Ask your phone provider for a 3g coverage map of the UK and tell them why you want it!   3G maps are not accurate either I was playing with my new N95 whilst waiting for a change over of craine drivers sat in my vehical on the quay side on the docks about 8-10 feet from the water side, the 3G put me about 40ft into the water 50ft error was funny at the time but could end up being very frustrating at least or maybe dangerious?

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 06/08/2008 02:45  

My mate, an inexperianced female rider has the Garmin bike specific one. At the weekend she went to see friends in Manchester and then across to Liverpool. She set off from Peterboghorror and did the trip up no problems, Worked out at about 170 miles I think she said. However for the return journey it decided to send her home the 300 mile route ( probably via the M6 then cross country) This took her five hours and she ended up seriously stressed and unable to move the next day ( unbeknown to me she had rode non stop bar for fuel) I have always told her to get a toughmap to pop in her tankbag and to plot her own route, she is more than cabable of reading a map and judging best policy when on a bike. However in this instance unwavering faith in the sat nav and a longing for home nearly finished her off. 300 miles is still a good distance to cover for us more experianced riders but I suppose we have been there and learned for ourselves what our own stress and comfort limitations are. Just use a sat nav for basic guidance, great for some parts of the journey but if you know a shorter,better route then take it.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 06/08/2008 13:58  

i agree with ghosty ,plot yer route on a map as well so if yu think your sat nav is fkin you about yu can check youre tank bag map! you got bk up! also a simple compass can help if your completely lost i know if i,m headin sw im goin in approx the right direction say from london! even lookin where the suns settin !!!!

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 06/08/2008 14:11  

thanks for all your coments, use sat nav all the time in the car and love it, if i could mount it on the bike i would but no earpiece,i know that i will enjoy being out on my bike so much more when i get one!

Update Reply
julie j @ 06/08/2008 17:42  

blimey julie did yu used to get lost jus goin to the shops?

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 07/08/2008 12:34  

not so much lost as confused! so have bought magnetic thingy to go on the tank, so if i sit the tom tom in there how will i sort out the power? also do you think that it will be audiable seems a shame to have 2 if i can get the car one going on the bike.

Update Reply
julie j @ 07/08/2008 15:21  

Confused?....Hang on you're not blonde! (now preparing for blonde onslaught!)

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 07/08/2008 16:02  

not on the outside!

Update Reply
julie j @ 07/08/2008 16:44  

Buy a cigarette lighter socket and a couple of 6mm earthing eyes and I'll fit it to your bike if you cannot! :o)

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 07/08/2008 16:59  

''oh HR i love your earthing eyes! mmmmm''[3minutes later] reaches for fags''bugger! aint fitted the ciggy lighter!'' [sorry folks been on the red!]

Update Reply
tangoman60 @ 07/08/2008 18:21  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email