MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Suzuki TL1000R

Suzuki TL1000R - Forums [Biker Match] Suzuki TL1000R - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Suzuki TL1000R

Hi All, I Have a 2001, 19000 miler and despite a new clutch, full shim service, new sticky tyres etc - I still cant get the front wheel in the air under acceleration which 2 of my mates can without problem - maybe at 14.5 stone I am just too heavy?? I had no problem with my old Gixer 750 last year. Ideas please?

Update Reply
wycbiker @ 30/05/2008 13:04  

Not trying hard enough? (ooerrr bit illegal too bad lad) if any consolation my cb750 is an under powered heavy bike and wont lift unless the road undulates in the right place at the right time................. accidently lifting the front under VERY hard acceleration ahem officer............ does your bike produce the same bhp at the wheel as your mates? Can they get it to lift? I had a GT1000 ducatti hire bike after been knocked off mine and to say the power was like an on off switch is putting it mildly had to feed in power in a more controled way or it lifted the front without any real effort from yours truly and as that was a V 1000 twin too all I can say is if you got the bike 2nd hand look at the teeth numbers compaired to your mates a lot of riders tend to put less teeth on the back sprocket or more on the front (opposite to a crosser with more on back less on front) to tame the front end and thus stopping the front end becoming light under heavy throttle useage in lower gears... Hope some of that is a help :o)

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 30/05/2008 16:00  

My other arf hasa TL1000r and he has no problem geting the front wheel up so must be you hun! lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2008 15:41  

thanks for the ideas regarding sprocket sizes - I will check

Update Reply
wycbiker @ 01/06/2008 17:08  

Any joy ref the teeth?

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 02/06/2008 14:01  

Have you solved the problem?

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 12/06/2008 14:32  

Sticky tyres won't make a jot of differance to a wheelie, a new clutch will but at 19000 miles it would have just about been due a new one even with reasonable use. You need to give the clutch some time to bed in before it gives its best. Sprocket sizes are something to look into, I went 2 teeth more on the rear on my old Aprilia 1000 and it made all the differance. How much do your mates weigh compared to you? Even an extra couple of kilos over the tank can make big changes. For instance Im a big lad and stuff like Fireblades, TL1000's and the like don't get raggy with me until I am really going for it on bumpy roads. My mate is three stone lighter and has a hell of a time keeping the bike stable because it either goes into a slap or hoiks the front end. Stiffening the rear pre load helps a little as the bike will (in theory) squat less when you pile on the power just before the front comes up. Another technique is to give it a handfull, shut down then grab another handfull quickly...idealy in second gear, once the wheels in the air then you can change up and give the drivetrain an easier time. I'd like to hear Daytona Mans take on this as he is a biking wikipedia on legs and knows his onions.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 14/06/2008 02:26  

I'd like to hear Daytona Mans take on this as he is a biking wikipedia on legs and knows his onions.

*makes notes: to pull a wheelie, bring onions*

This site's brilliant for tips eh?! Cheers Ghost!

:o)

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 14/06/2008 03:46  

This is very odd you should have no trouble at all its a big bloody v twin for gods sack!!!! My VTR would pull the front wheel up with no effort, no stupid dropping the clutch and all that crap, remember the torque is low down on the rev range not high up like your gixer, try just whacking the throttle fully open in second gear at lower revs and see what happens!! Good luck and what ever you do cover the back brake!!!, lol

Update Reply
Retrowheely @ 12/07/2008 15:33  

buy a gixer thou doesnt matter what gear your in power whelies everywhere with or without clutch lol

Update Reply
old gixer boy @ 13/07/2008 02:19  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email