MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What's an acceptable offer to make a dealer?

What's an acceptable offer to make a dealer? - Forums [Biker Match] What's an acceptable offer to make a dealer? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What's an acceptable offer to make a dealer?

If you see a bike for sale at 5,000 - how much would you offer? What's a reasonable percentage to knock off a USED vehicle? Assumptions: No damage can be found, FSU, excellent condition, 1 owner from new, low mileage, already at a good price etc

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/05/2008 12:30  

As little as possible (most folk who are buying usually expect summat for nowt) then work your way up til you and he/she agree, ALL folk who are selling expect more than they are offered lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/05/2008 12:35  

but with a dealer... would taking 10% off be too cheeky?

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/05/2008 14:52  

Offer him a big bag of Licqourice Allsorts, a hug and a kiss... Probably won't get the bike But it would be funny to watch lol

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 13/05/2008 15:35  

Depends how bad they want the business and the sale. When I bought my duke I told em I had 4k and no more and the duke was up for 4750. He kept saying a bit less than than the 4750 but I said no. It was when I went to walk away giving them no sale that he said they would take the 4k so just be really cheeky and see what you can get away with. They make on em no matter what!!!!! Oh and I also got em to fit a datatoool veto alarm in that price too! PMSL

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/05/2008 16:54  

Cash is King... If they won't give a discount or you're paying by credit card then probably best to angle for extended warranties / servicing / some new bike gear rather than a discount per say Jeez - I hate it when I give sensible answers... Off to get drunk and swing down the road via the lamp-posts WHOOOOP WHOOOOOP !

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 13/05/2008 17:35  

bike gear would be nice, but its a car lol. I already got a bike. But if the car dealer wants to through in some bike kit then great :-)

Update Reply
Matt @ 13/05/2008 17:50  

Quote... If you see a bike for sale at 5,000 - how much would you offer? What's a reasonable percentage to knock off a USED vehicle? Assumptions: No damage can be found, FSU, excellent condition, 1 owner from new, low mileage, already at a good price etc May seem like splitting hairs - but it's a lot harder to find a cheap second hand bike where I live than a second hand car... Sensible offer - howzabout a kidney and the first born male for 3 generations ??? (back to normality) and that would be "throw"... You may not live here anymore - but no need to destroy our language, Young Man !

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 13/05/2008 18:00  

I assumed Matt was talking about a BIKE too, but then I often get confused by Matt lol

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/05/2008 18:06  

Watch don't got done get Dom for buying tips, introduce yourself always find his/her 1st name and use it OFTEN (not every other sentance though) in the general chat about the vehical, the more you call each other by 1st names the closer you'll feel and the more cheek you'll be able to employ further down the negotiation, but as a general rule (ex salesman that I am) offer below what you are prepared to pay say the bike/car is up for 5k and you've got 4k start at under 3k say that's all you've got but you like that bike/car in that colour and say nothing, a rule in sales is the 1st to speak is the looser so make a strong offer then shut up. Wait till the sales person comes back with his offer, it's all a big game really come up in small steps and wait for their answer if you are closer to 4k then he is then make one final big gesture 3950 is all I can pay hold you hand out for a hand shake to seal the deal if he does not go for it then thank him for his time and head for the door if he can sell for 4k he'll not let you leave.

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 14/05/2008 07:04  

Go in with the cutest kitten you can find in one hand and a big knife in the other. Tell the dealer "4k or the kitten gets it!"

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 14/05/2008 08:06  

LMAO!!!!!

Update Reply
wiccan-one @ 14/05/2008 08:08  

Or just going in with a big knoife and say 4k or the dealer gets it!!!! lol Oh sod it, just nick the bloody thing and move country again! pmsl

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/05/2008 09:36  

lol stu, thanks for pointing that out. No idea why i spelt it wrong cos i do 'no' the difference. lol Thanks for the suggestions folks. I particularly like the kitten idea, i'll run with that one lol. (Wonder if it will work over the fone?)

Update Reply
Matt @ 14/05/2008 14:31  

Most dealers I know don't barter they just hand over the little bag take the cash and run!!!!

Update Reply
Scary @ 14/05/2008 14:50  

PML at the funniest thread in a while, odd how it's almost always the serious topics that deteriorate into belly laughs

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/05/2008 15:29  

well the guy wont budge! Wont even knock 50 euros off - wow! He said he can sell the car 5 times over at the price it's at, and that in 2 days it will probably be gone. Dammit. I'm not paying the asking price.

Update Reply
Matt @ 15/05/2008 10:13  

walk away if he's that arrogant chances are he don't believe his car needs a service as it's running alright at the mo lol loads more cars will come along

Update Reply
Hull750Rider @ 15/05/2008 13:55  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email