MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Disasembling a caliper

Disasembling a caliper - Forums [Biker Match] Disasembling a caliper - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Disasembling a caliper

Where do I start...Ok my second bike is an ER5 which has a floating front caliper....altho I have taken apart and cleaned brake calipers before I can not figure out how to get this one apart even after looking at the haynes manual for the bike. when doing the calipers on the VFR the calipers were held together by pins that had allen key heads but on the ER5 theres no heads or anything on the pins.......I know it will be something simple which is why I won't go to a garage to have it done so I'm sure someone here knows...........your help will be appreciated. Thanks

Update Reply
Herne @ 09/03/2008 08:11  

good question - no idea of the answer tho lol. Is there nothing hidden on the inside which requires u to take it off the bike?

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/03/2008 15:02  

the floating system is simply to keep the caliper located in line with the disc - you may be able to simply pull them apart, they often stick a little if they've never been apart before. I'd give it a try but don't try too hard ....... lol

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 09/03/2008 16:19  

surely if they could be pulled apart, then they would just split apart if you pressed the brake? (Pressure against the disk of the piston, pushing back outwards)

Update Reply
Matt @ 09/03/2008 16:30  

no, the caliper is one item which holds both pads. It floats on the mount that bolts to the fork legs and moves left and right accordingly as the piston moves in and out.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 09/03/2008 18:16  

I hear what you're saying Geoff but like Matt says there must be something that stops em falling apart when on the disk surely ...sorry for being thick

Update Reply
Herne @ 10/03/2008 13:22  

The reason I need to get it apart is to replace the seals and clean the pistons...ta

Update Reply
Herne @ 10/03/2008 13:23  

caliper dosent come apart on these take the pads out then just pump the pistons out or use an airline if its off the bike

Update Reply
andy1pandy @ 10/03/2008 18:55  

If they're similar to my old CX, its actually the disc itself that stops them from falling off.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/03/2008 19:59  

If it's owt like my gpz600r it may be a fixed set of pins,easier to explain my removal process,start by removing front wheel(or rear) to remove disc from caliper, push caliper inwards and slide rear pad along pins and the rear pad should fall off the pins then remove caliper mounting bracket off the stantion,with the caliper in hand remove moving pad off the end of the piston take care not to lose the anti-squeal device then the piston can be pumped out to replace seals,hope it gives you a clue,

Update Reply
Leachy @ 11/03/2008 09:38  

Ok all thanks for your input but alas it has been no help whatsoever....unless you actually see the er5 front caliper then it's hard to imagine....First off..there is no need to take the wheel off as the caliper is bolted to the fork and comes off the disk no probs when bolts are released...secondly..if I could get the pads out then it would be problem solved but I can't nor can I slide the pads to the end of the pins as the ends look as tho they are inside the caliper body. Once again thanks anyway ..but will continue to pull my hair out

Update Reply
Herne @ 11/03/2008 15:02  

Hi Herne, apparently they pivot out on sliders, so I am told but I found this for you: ER5 & ER6 Kawaski Owners Club Technical Questions link: www.bikersoracle.com/er5/forum/showthread.php?p=11214 Hope this helps Allen? Best wishes Rose

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 11/03/2008 17:07  

The pins on the backplate should just slide out of the caliper body. However, they often get stuck because of corrosion, ER-5s are notorious for it.

To remove the pads you need to remove an R-clip from the narrower pin. it's tucked right behind the caliper body and difficult to see if the caliper is dirty. Then you pull the pin out and swing the pads up and slide them off the other pin.

There's no easy solution to splitting the backplate from the caliper, you have to basically be very forceful yet careful when you pull the backplate pins out of the caliper body. You will need the caliper off the bike and preferably in a vice when you do it. Don't whack it full of heat cos you'll wreck the rubber boots. Once you've got the backplate off you'll need to clean up the pins, then remove the rubber sleeve that one of the pins slides into. The hole that sleeve fits into will probably be corroded to hell, which squeezes the pin so the caliper won't slide. A bit of emery cloth sorts that, and then some red rubber grease will help keep corrosion at bay afterwards. Same goes for the hole in the caliper body that the other pins slides in, clean that out with emery and use red rubber grease in there too. Don't use coppaslip in the rubber bits, it attacks the rubbers and makes the pins stick when they swell, same goes for fitting the brake seals.

Doing the pistons and seals is easy, if you can get the piston out. I usually pump it out after removing the pads. You may have to reassemble the caliper and stick it on the bike, then bleed the system to pump them out. Time consuming but worth it to save damaging the caliper or pistons. I'm lucky, I have a spare master cylinder, lever and hose rigged up on a bracket bolted to my bench, and hold the caliper in the vice to pump pistons out. Once each piston is out and the seals removed you'll find all manner of corrosion in the seal grooves. I use small pick to scrape the worst of it out, then a brass brush in a Dremel to get the rest out and do the final clean up, then use red rubber grease again to fit the seals.

I've done literally hundreds of these types of caliper, they are a time consuming job, but you can't take half measures with brakes.

Hope this helps.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 11/03/2008 18:53  

Thanks DM you certainly have helped...will do the job this coming weekend....as for the pistons etc theres no prob me doing them as we have airlines etc at work ....I owe you a pint mate ...thanks once again. Thanks also Rose....I am already a member of the site you gave the link to...and they were no help really ..but DMs the man lol

Update Reply
Herne @ 12/03/2008 14:17  

Oh good, glad DM got you sorted Herne, all the best hun x

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 12/03/2008 17:06  

I have similar calipers on my Honda CBR750, Nissin two pot sliders. As Dm says the hardest part can be splitting the caliper from its backing plate. The good news is that once you have cleaned them up and sorted them out its just then a general case of keeping ontop of them. I have to strip and clean mine a few times a year....I think this year they will be treated to a full refurb kit including master cylinder seals etc. Make sure you replace any rubber sleeves around the sliding pins, its tempting to leave them off sometimes but the holes will fill with water and come freezing time it becomes interesting!

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 14/03/2008 15:16  

Have you got it sorted now then Allen?

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 17/03/2008 07:39  

Daytona_man's instructions seemed pretty clear, I think Herne would have sorted it, even I understood them. I wish D M wrote bike manuals then I'd understand those too, it's not so much the instruction really but the INDEX I can never fathom how to find what I'm looking for

Update Reply
Sandi @ 17/03/2008 08:51  

Nah I haven't sorted it out first of all I couldn't find the R clip and I didn't want to force it apart incase I bust something.....will just have to take it into a garage ..it grieves me tho cos I have done hundreds of the other type of calipers. oh well it's only money

Update Reply
Herne @ 17/03/2008 15:00  

I know it's changing the subject but when am I gonna get to meet your princess Rose. ***********BUMP************

Update Reply
Herne @ 17/03/2008 15:02  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email