MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

E10/regular or super unleaded?

E10/regular or super unleaded? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] E10/regular or super unleaded? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

E10/regular or super unleaded?

So far I have not put E10 in my Suzuki Intruder 1400 89 year. as I do not ride it every day I don't want to run the risk of damage to pipes etc. that people have said can happen to older bikes. my car is a Diesel , but it says for the 2014 Skoda not to use BioFuel more than a certain percent so if they change the Diesel Bioratio I might be in trouble from that point.

Update Reply
Bikerdude2009 @ 27/05/2022 10:46  

the trouble with bio diesel as i understand is it contains some alcohol which damages things like seals etc, used to have an old 306 diesel estate and that would run on neat cooking oil, smelt like a chip shop but it was cheap to run.

Update Reply
rocker21 @ 27/05/2022 12:19  

Rocker, Yeah we use to have an old Mercedes Estate running on 90 % cooking oil in the Summer. :-) Digressing off topic sorry guys. I know when E10 came out I was at a WW2 event and the commentator was complaining about it.. Had some fab WW2 Bikes there. There you go back on topic :-)

Update Reply
Bikerdude2009 @ 28/05/2022 09:32  

Not all esso super is 0% as some areas have it in, this is stated on their website
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
My bikes all run on E10 ok, but I use the good stuff every 4th fill.
If the bikes not going to used for a while fill up with ultra fuel, Esso if you can cos that has no ethanol, most the others are E5...

Update Reply
Steviewa @ 29/05/2022 15:26  

Hmm, your right Stevie, I wonder what's behind that?
All that aside I don't think I'll be leaving fuel in any of the bikes at the rate prices are going up!

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 29/05/2022 18:59  

From all the literature I've been on E10 fuels and personal experience I come to the following conclusion:

- Carburettor fueled bikes most likely will run with an impact on MPG/Performance (performance can be worked out with carb tuning, but that will screw up settings for non-ethanol fuel)

- EFI bikes should see no problem with E10 (I run a 1999 BMW R1100RT with E10, problem free so far, also a 2000 Audi TT and a 03 Merc)

- IF you have a carburettor bike that is not on daily/weekly use, don't put E10, or at least don't store it for more than 2-3 weeks on E10, as the ethanol will absorb water (moisture from the air) and separate, causing a variety of issues.

Update Reply
MidnightSpecial @ 30/05/2022 09:33  

I found a brilliant way to increase mileage, especially if your bike has an idiot light saying it needs fuel, not talking about a gauge, just the light… disconnect it !! Got another 40 miles before I had to concede & fill up. 😂😎

Update Reply
Malc1 @ 10/06/2022 21:43  

Very interesting subject. My 18 year old 250 seems a bit happier on the expensive stuff. I'm fairly sure I'm getting better mpg. I recently splashed out on iridium spark plugs and that seems to have improved mpg too. Probably just my imagination though, same as it corners better after I've polished the tank!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/07/2022 10:21  

I'm a fan of reserve idiot lights.
I can still remember that sickening feeling of reaching for the reserve tap to find it was already on reserve from last time... 🙂

Quote:
I found a brilliant way to increase mileage, especially if your bike has an idiot light saying it needs fuel, not talking about a gauge, just the light… disconnect it !! Got another 40 miles before I ...

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 06/07/2022 12:57  

I quite agree Steve.. Added to which, running a tank too low has the risk of drawing up nasty things lurking in the bottom of the tank 🙄

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 10/07/2022 13:48  

My newest bike is 1994, so I have to use E5. My oldest is a Yamaha DT3 Enduro and I always used Super Unleaded fuel. My worry is if I get caught short somewhere I can't get E5, what damage will E10 do. Thanks for nothing, Boris!
Many people with new bikes and cars say that MPG is worse with E10! We have been conned big style!

Update Reply
SteamBiker @ 11/07/2022 13:43  

I have use10 in my 1984 Honda and my 1987 Kwacker, not really noticed any difference really, my fuel consumption is not something I ever worry about.
As for drawing up nasty things from the botton of the tank Strom, all the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank anyway, otherwise you would not be able to use it, and older bikes are gravity fed anyway, even the new one with the filter and pump in the tank still draw there fuel from the bottom, if you are worried just use E5, if you can't get it use E10 till you can, the odd tank of E10 is not really going to hurt most older bikes, unless maybe they are really old.

Update Reply
Tezza1958 @ 11/07/2022 18:32  

Fortunately Esso and Shell are having a price war and I filled my car at £1.76.9 a litre. When speaking to the guy who worked there he said all premium grade Esso petrol is now 0% and has been since late February but most forecourts haven't changed their signage.. Not sure how to confirm this?

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 14/07/2022 18:57  

Good afternoon, newish standard gasoline engines in the UK will quite happily run on 95 octane, (RON), compression and timing is set for that octane value, (also 85 MON ), however, the inclusion of ethanol into gasoline blends might affect older fuel lines, filters, etc. E5 should be ok though. The only necessity to use 97 RON fuel, (super unleaded), is where the manufacturer stipulates that, also, the manufacturer may give advice on ethanol blended gasoline. The biggest issue with ethanol in gasoline blends, is its water retention, and volatility, so should not affect performance as gasoline is blended to tight specifications in the UK. If compression ratio is increased by head skimming etc., calculation of minimum octane value of fuel should be addressed, RON & MON. I sit on the Energy Institute Octane research & maintenance working committee, should you require any further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Update Reply
ajteajte @ 17/07/2022 16:20  

Diesel does not contain added alcohol, added alcohol would reduce the ignition quality of diesel fuel. What bio diesel does contain are esterified vegetable oils or animal fats, commonly referred to as F.A.M.E., Fatty Acid Methyl Esther. Although they can have a positive effect to some aspects of diesel quality, these groups of compounds can have an adverse reaction to certain seals and pumps.

Update Reply
ajteajte @ 17/07/2022 16:29  

It's better keep quiet on that one or the lunatic fringe will be demanding vegan diesel to be marked as such 😆

Quote:
What bio diesel does contain are esterified vegetable oils or animal fats..

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 17/07/2022 17:43  

All i know is with super unleaded i get over 180 miles before fuel light comes on, the best ive managed with E10 is 171 miles. I think if your using it regularly and its not sat in tank for ages then go ahead, but if your bikes older and has carbs then dont as the illuminati on youtube say carbs dont like it!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 25/07/2022 17:00  

Well, I can see huge difference on minus after using E10 since it was introduced. However the price of super is putting me off. So using standard, but i would choose super if i could afford as it gives higher mpg.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2022 06:27  

Mixture of bikes that can / can't run on E10 here, so I just run them all on E5 for ease - and a couple get parked up for weeks on end. Well that, and locally the E5 from Costco is 12p a gallon cheaper than the E10 from Asda......

Update Reply
El Emm @ 02/08/2022 13:32  

Ive been running my 02 fazer 600 on the new stuff and had no real issues, i just put a tank of the premium every now n then to clean the engine

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/08/2022 20:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email