MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Engine Rebuild

Engine Rebuild - Forums [Biker Match] Engine Rebuild - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Engine Rebuild

Hi everyone, I just joined, happy 2022.

I’m in the process of stripping down and rebuild my engine after I believe it seized because I rode it not realising that there was no oil.

It’s my first bike and want to truely understand it’s workings before I buy a bigger bike this summer.

When I opened the engine up there was a strong burn smell, however so far everything seemed to me moving well. I’m waiting for the flywheel removal tool to be delivered so I can continue dismantling. Is there anything signs that I should look for when determining what needs replaced if the engine was seized because there was no oil keeping it lubricated ?

Update Reply
Jaybo85 @ 04/01/2022 06:24  

Hi Jaybo

It might be useful if you stated the make and model of your defunct motorcycle...

I once had an RSX100 seize under me because the feed from the 2 stroke oil tank had a blockage? 😊

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 04/01/2022 08:38  

Hi storm, it’s a mutt mongrel 125 with the Suzuki GS engine.

What did you do with your seized engine?

Everyone I’ve spoken to thinks I’m mad for attempting a rebuild but I’m not in a rush and enjoy tinkering about with things. It will just be handy to have someone who knows engines to get advice from, when the manual and YouTube fail me 😊

Update Reply
Jaybo85 @ 04/01/2022 09:41  

Hi Jaybo I'm a 45 year served motorcycle mechanic, I have my own business in chesham, if you want any help give me a shout.

Update Reply
Triumph 62 @ 04/01/2022 10:01  

Thanks triumph, I really appreciate that, is that what you do for a living ?

Update Reply
Jaybo85 @ 06/01/2022 08:35  

Youtube tutorials are your friend. If you don't know how engines work mechanically, don't attempt a strip down. Heat warps etc, let the chap look at it or someone who knows what to look for. Personally, I'd buy a replacement lump and fit that. No oil in an engine is catastrophic. This is a big job. *qualified mechanic*.

Update Reply
mistressofmoo @ 31/01/2022 11:57  

Not that I'm particularly mechanically knowledgeable but I would tend to agree with the changing engine idea, given how much it cost me to have an engine rebuild 30 years ago🙄

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 01/02/2022 10:26  

If it's been run without oil & seized you are looking at new piston & rebore as a minimum. The big end has probably suffered damage, any internal bushes would be worn. As above look for a replacement engine or even a cheap crashed or scrap bike on Ebay.

Update Reply
Guzziguy123 @ 04/02/2022 12:06  

All of the above. If you want to get back on the road fairly quickly, then it would be far better to find yourself a spare engine. But hang on to the old one and dismantle it methodically, preferably with a knowledgeable friend to guide you through.
Then work out what needs to be done and then rebuild it. It'll be a steep and possibly expensive learning curve, but you'll know a lot more about engines and how they work and are repaired by the time you've finished.

Update Reply
Wills @ 05/02/2022 10:45  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email