MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Riders Get To Grips With Manhole Covers

Riders Get To Grips With Manhole Covers - Forums [Biker Match] Riders Get To Grips With Manhole Covers - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Riders Get To Grips With Manhole Covers

Issued 19th February 2008 Carriageway manhole covers, especially on bends, can present a potentially lethal danger to motorcyclists but this could all change if revisions to the European Standard for them, proposed by the UK, is agreed. It is well known that over time some manhole cover surfaces become smooth and polished and if wet, very slippery, but thanks to the work undertaken by the National Motorcycle Council i.e. The British Motorcyclists Federation (BMF), Institute of Highway Incorporated Engineers (IHIE), Motor Cycle Industry Association MCIA, Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) RAC Foundation and Devon County Council, the UK committee working on the revision of European Standard EN124 have agreed unanimously to recommend a minimum ‘polished skid resistance value for manhole covers’. This will give manhole covers the equivalent grip of good quality road surfacing but in addition, the suggested revised standard also allows for the use of an even higher grip cover in areas of greater concern, such as bends. The work was brought about due to a lack of effective skid resistance requirements for manhole covers in the present standard, BS EN 124. This is of particular concern as manholes to allow access to underground services are often found on bends, a location where motorcyclists can be particularly vulnerable due to a sudden change in grip when cornering. The next stage will be to address this matter at a European level to gain support and agreement from the other countries. Achieving this should lead to a change in the EN124 standard and a safer European-wide road network for bikers. David Short, MAG Campaigns Manager said, "The Government is always talking about joined up thinking in support of road safety and the work undertaken by these different organisations just show what can be achieved when everyone works together. It is the simple measures that can make so much difference and save lives. The European and UK Government now need to show some leadership, effect a change in the skid resistance standard and make our roads safer for vulnerable road users. Welcoming the agreement, Chris Hodder, the BMF’s Government Relations Executive said: "I would like to thank Devon County Council’s Material’s Laboratory and the IHIE for their work on this. As motorcyclists we know we need a level of skid resistance equal to that of the main carriageway, but what we needed was a technical specification and that’s what we have now been able to agree on." Sheila Rainger, Head of Campaigns for the RAC Foundation added "No-one needs to be put at risk by a slippery manhole cover in the road surface. Safer covers are available but they are rarely used because the current European Standard does not require covers to be skid-resistant in real-world conditions. If the UK is successful in amending the standard, the roads will be safer for motorcyclists and for other vulnerable road users." Note to editors For further information please contact:David Short, Motorcycle Action Group :Telephone: 01347 822214Mobile: 077389 48080Email: campaigns-manager@mag-uk Chris Hodder, British Motorcycle Foundation: 0116 284 5380Sheila Rainger, RAC Foundation: 020 7747 3486Tony Sharp, Institute of Incorporated Highway Engineers: 07939 517384Keith Grant, Devon County Council’s Materials Laboratory: 01392 386500Nich Brown, Motorcycle Industry Association: 02476 408036Michael Newcombe, Devon County Council: 01271 388496 Ends Issued byTrevor BairdGeneral Secretary (MAG UK) MAG UKPO BOX 750RugbyCV21 3ZR Tel: +44 (0)1788 570065Fax: +44 (0)1788 570052Email: general-secretary@mag-uk.org

Update Reply
Matt @ 20/02/2008 05:38  

Sheila Rainger, Head of Campaigns for the RAC Foundation added "No-one needs to be put at risk by a slippery manhole cover in the road surface. Safer covers are available but they are rarely used because the current European Standard does not require covers to be skid-resistant in real-world conditions. And the government quote motorbike accident statistics at us like they are all OUR fault. There's one preventable cause of accidents and they sit on their and ignore it!?. If the UK is successful in amending the standard, the roads will be safer for motorcyclists and for other vulnerable road users." IF? I'm hoping the government have been shamed into it!

Update Reply
Sandi @ 20/02/2008 07:58  

I am afraid that I sit on both sides of the fence with this one. As a biker and a highway design engineer I am able to see the arguments on both sides. However, the IHIE's moves towards safer biking is a huge leap forward. I am quite proud to say that I was involved at the consultancy stage and spent a lot of time attending seminars and open discussions in London, the aim of which were to develop the Motorcycling Guidelines. www.motorcycleguidelines.org.uk I welcome everyone to have a read as these include far more items than just the matter of service covers (manholes). Such items as bend alignments, general surfacing issues and how to deal with motorcycles in Safety Audits. The big problem with improving the PSV (skid resistance) of service covers is the cost. Simply throwing some anti-skid surfacing over the top isn't the answer because it flakes away from the metal. As such covers have to be constructed that can either accept a bituminous material infill (easy on footways where covers can be weaker, but not easy on carriageway covers), or constructed so that the top is relatively smooth with then an epoxy type anti-skid surfacing applied at the factory. Either are unfortunately expensive. One of the big issues is the use of the type of anti-skid surfacing that is normally used in advance of stop lines etc. but is now becoming quite common on bends. As a motorbike corners the back wheel actually slides around the headstock. Under normal cornering this isn't noticed, but this is the reason why some people can rear-wheel steer so well. However, the anti-skid surfacing used is highly abrasive and grippy. It is made from a very fine but sharp and hard aggregate called Calcium Bauxite which is stuck to the surface using an epoxy binder and is often called Clause 924 material (because it is specified in Clause 924 of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges). In fact this stuff is so grippy that it can actually restrict the very gentle sideways movement of the back wheel on a cornering motorbike, which is why some of you may have noticed that on certain corners covered with this stuff (remember, it's not just red, it can be black as well), the bike doesn't feel totally stable. Anyway, have a read cos these guidelines are quite a revelation for us bikers.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 20/02/2008 11:23  

Cheers for that Matt & Geoff.

Update Reply
Di @ 20/02/2008 14:00  

good points raised there, me and skins were on about this exact subject the other day and I wondered why they couldnt just infill them with tarmac.. now I know! shouldn't really matter how expensive they are really... or are the government saying motorcyclists are not worth it?

Update Reply
lula @ 21/02/2008 05:00  

I know it would take years but I see a lot of pipes and such running along side farm land would it not be safer to put said items in fields as cows and sheep are not as likely to crash on wet manholes and in towns would it not be easier to close a pavement as a whole road' Just a thought.

Update Reply
micksaway @ 17/03/2008 22:43  

Speaking as a farmer and a biker...i would have said the biker comes first..As mick says, sheep can graze around pipes...and saying that, a pavement on one side of the road isnt unreasonable, although it depends on the road. Why the council sees fit to allow manhole covers in the middle of the road is beyond me, no matter what the road is. Its not only bikers that the cover causes problems to, it is other road users. I have horses, and although an artic doesnt present a problem, strangely, manhole covers do. As much as i know my boys, i cannot know what is going through their mind at any given moment. They are likely to throw a wobbler and at the very least cause disruption to traffic, but please give a thought. These animals are trained(at best) to deal with these things but there are loads that arent.They are unpredictable and at the end of the day, have minds of their own. We dont make them misbehave, so please be patient. By the same token, we weren't all bikers from birth, so please be patient.....we are all aiming for the same outcome, a safe journey from a to b

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 18/03/2008 00:15  

I have no idea what point i was trying to make there..Not a bad effort though after 10 pints

Update Reply
darkcarnival @ 18/03/2008 08:20  

I think dc that for a ten pint post that is positively commendable!!

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 18/03/2008 08:59  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email