MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Stop the roll out of hardly used cycle lanes.

Stop the roll out of hardly used cycle lanes. (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Stop the roll out of hardly used cycle lanes. (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Stop the roll out of hardly used cycle lanes.

So why are YOU all still looking at an old post?
Being opinionated is better than being an unthinking bigotted rabble-rouser. It's YOU who went off-topic. The original post from Ragnar did not merit the 'holier than thou' rants against cyclists. I'm sure they don't represent the views of the intelligent motorbike majority. I asked Matt to delete them - he didn't respond.
I say again than cyclists are not the 'drivers' for these changes - Councils use them as part of their armoury for 'traffic calming'. A painted white line does not confer safety. The CTC is positively opposed to them.
Instead of whipping up prejudice why not ally yourselves with cyclists against a common danger - clowns in cars?

I don't see cyclists campaigning about motorcyclists using cyclists' dedicated off-road parking spaces (and illegally riding across footway to do so). But I'm sure it could be arranged.....

My blood pressure's fine thanks - must be all the cycling* I do when not on my Yam.

Love to all,
Retiarius

* without a helmet! OMG! Nurse, get the screens.....

Update Reply
Retiarius @ 20/07/2022 10:53  

A lot of people don't realise that by rights to cycle on the towpaths with your cycle you should have a licence paid to the canal trust. Which I think is around £40-£50. This includes people using the canal for things like kayaking and such.
Obviously people don't know or just can't be bothered and think nobody will stop me.
This licence covers you obviously for possible accidents either way. But more importantly goes back to the trust to help with maintenance of the canal. So a very good cause indeed, for everybody that uses them.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I'm gonna add my bit 😝😝

the crt (canal and river trust) are now getting large chunks of money from gov to turn towpaths into cycle tracks 😳😳😳.......

i started my boat life in Nottingham and spe...

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 20/07/2022 15:29  

Well 4am wide awake so i might as well give my views as a very experienced motorcyclist which some of you know about and also a very experienced cyclist which most on here don't know about, i regular do rides of a 100 miles or more on cycles a day but don't like riding in towns because of the drivers that don't think cyclist's or motorcyclist, i find the cyclist's i know agree that cycle lanes are there to inconvenience cars and do not improve emissions, i find that most motorcyclist have no problems with cycles and many ride them as well, but i can see drivers problems as i don't alway think bike when i drive what we need is more think bike signs to try and and make driver's aware and not to slag each other of

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 21/07/2022 04:36  

I agree to a point bill but when you have cyclists 2 and 3 abrest on narrow or busy roads and refuse to move over for there own safety its hard not to get pissed off with them. Yes there are sensible cyclists and also stupid motor cyclists but please when you have drivers of 44 tonne trucks trying to get a job done and it take a fair bit of time from 3 gear to build speed and pass you safety think about this. If I get it wrong you Will die I wont even feel the truck go over you I will just think it was an inspection cover or a small pothole. And your cycling buddy will live the rest of his or her life with the image of you being dragged under the truck and all the bits that should be on the inside coming out of your mouth untill you bust. Yes graphic yes not nice but the few that are fuckin stupid enough to say its everybody else's responsibility to keep them safe need to wake the fuck up.

Update Reply
JP @ 21/07/2022 06:24  

I agree with you JP, but some times when cyclist are accused of being three abreast there are quite legally two abreast but may appear to be 3 be cause you have to ride to one side off the one in front so you don't hit them, with my friends we alway go into single file when being overtaken

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 21/07/2022 15:57  

Just for info, driving home last night around a blind left hand bend, coming the other way a group of 20 plus lycra clad cyclists forming a 'pelaton' at least 3 wide taking up the whole width of the other side of the road and leaning into my lane (which we as motorcyclists are trained to avoid or at least I was some 25 yrs ago! ) Not exactly cycle path related I know but if I had been in an HGV and not able to cut to the verge several of them would have been considerably misshapen 🙄

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 22/07/2022 05:56  

could not agree more strom, where i live its narrow country lanes and up a big hill to where i live, the cyclists seem to love going up and down it and they are a menace a group going down the hill is a nightmare for everyone else, they cant seem to stay on their side of the road, it would not be the first time there has been a crunch.

Update Reply
rocker21 @ 22/07/2022 12:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email