MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

National Road Rally 2020

National Road Rally 2020 - Forums [Biker Match] National Road Rally 2020 - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

National Road Rally 2020

Nice to report an event that's actually happening!
The ACU/BMF National Road Rally is going ahead on a new date of September 12 in a slightly different Covid-aware format.
Loads of details on the website www.nationalroadrally.co.uk, and entries are open until a week before the rally date. That's September 5 at the latest.

Update Reply
Wills @ 07/08/2020 15:52  

https://www.nationalroadrally.co.uk/nrr/index.php

Update Reply
Cupid Stunt @ 07/08/2020 17:26  

I will be taking part in the NRR on the 12th. What team are you in? I'll be participating with 2 other members in the team Lockdown Lunatics haha. It will be my first NRR. Who's done it before on here? What's it like?

Update Reply
The Nun @ 10/08/2020 12:00  

I took part back in 2013 & had a great time. Achieved the Gold award riding 540 mile in all. Not done it since then but am planning on taking part this year, with a mate from work. Should be a piece of cake considering I`ve been used to riding to north east Scotland & back in 24hrs!

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 10/08/2020 22:29  

Thanks for answering Wraith750, I think I'll go for the Platinum award, should be much easier perhaps, as it's my first rally. I think this year there won't be any people at the stands, you'll have to check in automatically... not sure

Update Reply
The Nun @ 10/08/2020 23:24  

Reading up on there website, it seems that the checkpoints will be mainly unmanned but there will be codes to collect at each for verifying online after the event to prove where you`ve been to. Will certainly feel strange this year.

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 10/08/2020 23:39  

I did it for several years up to the mid-2000s, and then had to take a break for family duties. This year will be my first since then.
In previous years there's been about 20 hours between the start and final check-in. I never had any problems doing 540 miles with all due breaks. You need a comfy bike and stamina rather than an out and out fast bike, I've found, and if you can average 45mph on non-motorway roads you're doing well.
Come September and there'll only be 11 hours from start to finish. The organisers haven't said anything yet, but I'd expect them to scale back the mileage for the various awards to something like 350-375 miles for a special gold or platinum. But whatever happens, it should be fun - good luck everyone!

Update Reply
Wills @ 12/08/2020 23:15  

Spent the last couple of evenings planning some routes for Saturday. Not as easy as it seems to try & plot between 11 locations to make the associated points total up to 265.
So far, it looks like the weather is going to be kind on the day.

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 08/09/2020 22:15  

I think I'm sorted for a 265-point ride to meet the platinum standard and which brings me more or less back to where I'm starting in the North West. Fingers crossed now for the weather!

Update Reply
Wills @ 10/09/2020 00:46  

Good luck and safe riding to all those doing the National Road Rally tomorrow!!!

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 11/09/2020 16:50  

Thanks VStrom, it should be a good day for all involved. I`ll be riding as a team with 2 others aiming to achieve platinum too. Keeping our route circular with the furthest point being Kegworth but picked some great roads along the way.

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 11/09/2020 22:17  

Well, that`s that one over with!
Managed to complete just over 300 miles to visit 11 locations & collect 265 points in the allocated time, so that should be a Platinum award in the bag. We managed to pick a route which wasn`t too taxing but had some great roads, including the A607 Grantham to Melton Mowbray then continuing along the A6006 to Zouch, nr Kegworth. Another great route was the A426 / A423 Rugby to Banbury stretch, although the 50mph limit & cameras spoil it slightly. Finished just after 7.30pm after a worthwhile but tiring day & already thinking about next years event.
Thoroughly recomended

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 13/09/2020 09:30  

It all ended with a bit on an anti-climax for me. Great ride out, but a bit of a sweat to make the final control for a Platinum and then...deflated back tyre. Grr.
Blew it back up and limped home and got back in one piece, but in hindsight should have got the RAC to recover me. Oh well, a bronze it is then. And there's always next year.

Update Reply
Wills @ 13/09/2020 13:57  

Glad you guys enjoyed yesterday(mostly), would be interested in next year's run if you think I could keep up John?

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 13/09/2020 18:33  

To be honest David, I spent much of the time trying to keep up with my team mates whos speed was more at the top end of what I`m comfortable with. Plenty of time to think about next year though.

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 13/09/2020 20:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email