MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Kamikaze...??

Kamikaze...?? - Forums [Biker Match] Kamikaze...?? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Kamikaze...??

Now that half of Obese Britain has rediscovered the use of their legs, by having to queue,can somebody please explain to me(in simple layman's terms,ta) why so many people now wish to commit suicide the hard way..??
Just in the last week,i've lost count of the near-misses with the New Menace On Our Roads (no,not Audi Q5 drivers)..i refer to the newbie bicycle riders teeming(wobbling,actually) in swarms around the highways and byways around Gloucestershire and Wiltshire...all these red-faced ,lycra clad,and helmetless loons seem to be set on Death By Stupidity,rather than wait for Covid19 to get them...PLEASE..GET A BLOODY MIRROR FITTED,AND THEN A BRAIN...to all you experienced cyclists out there,tell the rest about the idea of handsignals ,or at least how to look over your shoulder before swerving randomly into my path....and riding two abreast along single track lanes will only end in tears when Farmer Giles passes you in his Range Rover...this has been a Public Information Broadcast....:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 27/05/2020 17:20  

Aldi's new "Traffic Light" system for queue control has been welcomed by most customers, although cyclists are calling it an unnecessary inconvenience.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 27/05/2020 19:42  

Jinx, I fear you misunderstand the rights of cyclists. Now I have no knowledge of Gloucestershire/Wiltshire, but in London the commuting cyclists have the absolute right to use any part of the road or pavement at any time, especially around traffic lights on red or stationary traffic and particularly the wrong way up a one way street at speed. Traffic and pedestrians are required not to impede their progress in any way- for instance, by using the road or pavement or simply by existing, and the cyclist is NEVER to blame for anything at all. The self satisfied excuse of 'stopping pollution and saving the world' has now been joined by 'stopping the virus and saving the NHS'.

And before anyone steps in and howls; I cycle as well as bike, I hate buses, lorries and car drivers in that order and I think they're generally homicidal maniacs out for cyclists. I support measures to cut down the virus, and I think fewer cars on the road is an excellent concept, as is a fitter population and a greener planet. I also contend that engaging brain before pedals, using some road sense and courtesy and following the Highway Code are Good Things.

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 28/05/2020 13:50  

Its because all these new cyclists are german car drivers and are applying the same rules as when driving their shiney german cars . Rule 1 they own the road . Rule 2 all other road users are plebs and are supposed to get out of their way because of rule 1 . Rule 3 If they cause an accident its not their fault because your a pleb and not supposed to get in their way (rule 1 applies) rule 4 they have no need to indicate as its non of your business where their going as once again rule 1 applies.
So you see its simple all you need to understand is rule 1

Update Reply
Grumpy of the Seven @ 28/05/2020 15:25  

Not new Jinx, a lot of cyclists have been riding like pillocks for years.
It's even worse now there are more cycle paths combined with footpaths.
Not all pedestrian ways are cycle ways.
When they were creating the cycle lane/pathway signage they should have included instruction for everyone to keep to the left at all times and not to ride like they are couriers in London. Fecking half wits.

I've said this before, why do we drive on the left hand side of roads when the majority of people are right handed? As soon as people become pedestrians there they are on the right hand side.

Passes soap box to next person
😉 Haha

Update Reply
Sandi @ 28/05/2020 16:24  

Not just cyclists don't forget the Im going for a walk group. Why do they see the need to walk in the road when the footpath is empty and they are on the main road

Update Reply
JP @ 28/05/2020 17:30  

Sandi the reason we drive on the left is so you have your right hand free for signalling with 2 fingers to someone coming in the opposite direction and if they stop you can punch them in the mush properly.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/05/2020 18:55  

This epidemic is obviously as widespread as Government bullsh*t..think Grumpy OT7 may have found a link...before the pedallers amongst us come for me waving pitchforks and blazing torches(batteries not required),can i just say i CYCLE TOO!!...just not with total disregard for my own safety....would you ride a motorcycle without mirrors(?),then fit one to your bicycle before it's too late...stay safe all ways possible..:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 28/05/2020 19:16  

Headline on the bbc web page.

Uber destroys thousands of bikes and scooters

the best thing that I ever seen uber do.

Sandi the reason why we drive on the left is to do with like you said most people are right handed.

It goes back to Napoleon who said that everyone should ride on the right. Because if two cavalry men charged at each other and being right handed you would lay forward with your sword pointing on the right of the horse so the other bloke is on the wrong side to your blade and after the first charge you would have to swing your blade across yourself reducing your reach and at risk of cutting their own mounts heads off.

So with that the UK said to Napoleon "non vous petit git français au gingembre".

Ok that's me saying that bit.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 28/05/2020 19:45  

JP at the moment that's the social distancing situation, I summise. Otherwise they're just planks!

WML at yarg's comment 🤣

Jinx, I reckon folk should have to take a BCS test before they're even allowed near a pushbike. (Basic Common Sense)

Ta for the explanation Ragnar

Update Reply
Sandi @ 29/05/2020 00:20  

1) I use a pedal cycle, motorcycle and car on the public highway but only need a license, road tax and insurance for two of them!

2) There is a thing called the Highway Code and sections 59 to 71 inclusive apply to cyclists. This isn't optional, it's the law of the land so if you don't like it recycle your cycle to save the planet!

3) Even horse riders have their own section of the Highway Code from section 49 to 55. Although it isn't a legal requirement to have third party insurance I believe the British Horse Society strongly advises riders to be covered and any responsible rider does so!

4) Cyclists don't currently have to take out insurance but membership of Cycling UK or British Cycling gives such cover. In some cases home insurance carries 3rd party cover but often not.
Maybe some sort of mandatory (cheap) 3rd party insurance would help.

Certainly a simple caveat of " I use the public highway on the condition that I have read the Highway Code and will abide by the section relevant to my vehicle" would solve the problem although currently any section that says must or must not is already a legal requirement and the Highway Code can be used in court to establish liability under the Road Traffic Act!

Rant over and soapbox duly passed on....

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 29/05/2020 06:12  

VStrom, I can just imagine the puzzled look on some road user's faces when they hear the words Highway Code.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 29/05/2020 10:07  

I know Sandi, I was being a tad hopeful wasn't I?

Update Reply
Strom67 @ 29/05/2020 10:24  

I couldn't agree more Jinx, there seems to some kind of mass lunacy going.
One the one hand its great to see more people cycling but they do need to use their brains a bit.
I sometimes think I'm the only cyclist who has a mirror, everyone else seems to rely on the other guy looking out for them.
I expect it's just evolution in action.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 29/05/2020 13:21  

Cyclists might turn out to be the new organ donors.

Update Reply
Double six @ 29/05/2020 14:47  

Lol just a bit, VStrom

The way some folk drive, you may be right there 66. WML

Update Reply
Sandi @ 29/05/2020 18:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email