MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle Events & Rides Out

MAG say on riding

MAG say on riding - Forums [Biker Match] MAG say on riding - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle Events & Rides Out /

MAG say on riding

On Sunday, the Prime Minister announced a lifting of some restrictions on travel and a return to work for some.

From Day 1 of lockdown, the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has not been aware of any distinction being made between cars and motorcycles. Travel by motorcycle or scooter to work (where you cannot work from home), for shopping, and for the personal care of yourself or people in your care has been permitted. This now extends to travel to publicly accessible open spaces for exercise or recreation.

There are limits in place and the following information is based on the Government guidelines at the time of writing:

You can carry a pillion from your own household, but meeting other people is strictly limited to groups of two. So, that’s either you and your pillion or you, meeting with one friend from another address, on another bike, but not both. Social distancing guidelines must be followed.

Please remember that many places - including National Parks - are still closed, so you should check before you go. Most facilities at the seaside are also closed, including public toilets in some locations.

MAG urges riders to avoid traditional meeting places where riders usually gather. If large numbers of riders descend upon the places we traditionally go to, there may be a backlash that results in restrictions being imposed.

The rules are different for Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Do not ride there from England.

In encouraging people to return to work where it is safe to do so, the Government is advising people to avoid public transport. MAG is working with the Vintage Motorcycle Club (VMCC) and the Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF), on a document to be submitted to the Government asking the Government to ensure that motorcycles and scooters are fully incorporated into any travel plans as part of lifting the lockdown. Motorcycles and scooters have a huge part to play in reducing congestion and pollution, providing access to personal transport for those journeys that people are unable to complete using active travel (cycling and walking), or to avoid the risk of using public transport. MAG, the VMCC and the TRF want to ensure that the travel benefits of motorcycling from transport, leisure and welfare aspects are not overlooked as lockdown restrictions are lifted.

Selina Lavender, Chair of the Motorcycle Action Group, said “as riders, we all know that riding bikes is good for our mental health and welfare. It can also provide a safe way to travel as lockdown is lifted, and we will be encouraging the Government to include us as lockdown is eased. If you do choose to go for a ride, take it easy, please avoid congregating, have a stroll in the countryside and come home safe.”

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 12/05/2020 13:23  

Matlock will be packed at the weekend along with a few other places

Update Reply
JP @ 12/05/2020 14:55  

Very nice to hear MAG promoting common sense. I had my first ride in 45 days today not a joy ride an essential trip. Keep safe keep your distance and keep smiling..🙂

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 12/05/2020 15:50  

Good to know the rules- thanks Bikeabill.

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 12/05/2020 17:27  

Well Gallow it explains a bit more about what we should be doing but as JP says I'm sure many will be out in groups, I just hope all the cafe's are shut and police are there waiting for them

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 13/05/2020 02:05  

Can't say I disagree with you on that one!

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 13/05/2020 10:22  

Can't beat common sense and keeping to the rules, but I have to say, it is quite amazing how many essential journey's I have had to make on my bike.

Update Reply
Jonnyvanquish @ 13/05/2020 11:37  

I haven't even taxed mine yet!!

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 14/05/2020 01:00  

The suns up and in your eyes, surely you have some essential trips you could make and we're allowed to ride again. On line tax only takes a minute what ya waiting for buddy ?

Update Reply
Jonnyvanquish @ 14/05/2020 10:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email