MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

COVID-19 - reasons not to ride

COVID-19 - reasons not to ride (2) - Forums [Biker Match] COVID-19 - reasons not to ride (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

COVID-19 - reasons not to ride

Nick... You can't educate stupid....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 25/04/2020 18:02  

True Lynn, but Trump has suggested a cure..... 🤣

Update Reply
Cupid Stunt @ 25/04/2020 18:18  

Just because someone has a different opinion does not make them stupid, or an idiot, it just makes them different.
And that is what we all are, different.

Update Reply
Tezza1958 @ 25/04/2020 19:19  

Glyn
As a fellow NHS employee I think you're bang on with your interpretation of events.
It's going to be interesting to see were we go from here.
If I had to make a prediction it's that once the lockdown starts to ease the sheep will decide it's all been much ado about nothing and go back to default mode (gathering in flocks) and we'll have Covid spike 2. Most likely just in time for winter.
At least we've now got the bed capacity, it's just a matter of PPE, equipment, other supplies & staff. Oh, and of course money.
Hopefully we'll get together before the years out, drink all the beer JP has promised us and discuss the really scary stuff that hasn't been in the public domain.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 25/04/2020 19:45  

There is considered opinion, which I would respect
And then there's opinionated.......

Update Reply
Cupid Stunt @ 25/04/2020 20:11  

It's how I see events unfolding Steve.
I also understand Aozorasan's view about riding and it having a therapeutic effect but I don't think it out weighs the possible consequences if something goes wrong.
People with different experiences and different views will interpret thing all slightly different but in the end it's the NHS patients and staff that are on the front line and that pressure needs to be reduced.
Second sermon over.
Steve from one of your comment earlier riden along side you several times and your riding is appropriate to the situation or is that because you have company ?🤔😂

Update Reply
Witcher Man @ 25/04/2020 20:16  

Then you look at the stick the boot in media. Especially the BBC Covid updates question sessions.

"Oh when can we expect the exit strategy to occur"

"Oh what kind of things will be in the exit strategy"

"Oh how will we exit, can you tell us now"

I know they are playing devils advocate, and asking questions for the frustrated public, but come on. How longs a piece of string. We need to get the death figures and curve down, plus start the testing process. How can the govt give that information.

Same questions over and over again. Let's stick the boot in BBC and put pressure on the government. Please come on wake up and smell the coffee. We are in a national crisis here, and no immediate prediction or plan is possible. It's a day to day analysis.

Rant over and off the soap box 😂
It's just that they get my back up. Grrr

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 25/04/2020 21:21  

Don't some people talk a lot of balls, first I've seen what this virus can do to people and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, second I've been riding for more years than most people on here but now only tax my bikes for 6 month, they are left in the garage all winter with a minimum of maintaince but when I bring them out they perform perfectly so don't say you can't leave you bike a few months in summer and it won't work, most of us on here are trying to promote the image of being responsible road user so please don't spoil it for us, thirdly this idea of getting withdrawal symptoms is a lot of shite, if you can't cope with not riding your bike then you have mental problem, I bought myself another bike for Christmas which I haven't used yet but I'm ok, we would all like to get out on our bikes but we can't. So please don't talk rubbish and when you are allowed out please be careful out there. 🙂

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 26/04/2020 03:22  

Steve H, As promised the Mids team will be getting some bottles in at the next event we hold only exception would be Hallowistmus party due to pub rules lol.

Update Reply
JP @ 26/04/2020 07:04  

The difference is they are more stupid than anyone else. Try asking the families of the 20,000+ that have died so far what they think of the IDIOTS and differently stupid folk that go out spreading more of this virus just because their bike battery may deteriorate or they could be getting bored.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Just because someone has a different opinion does not make them stupid, or an idiot, it just makes them different.
And that is what we all are, different....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/04/2020 12:16  

I think some people have misinterpreted my comments & perhaps taken them out of context...…
I was not condoning breaking lockdown regulations by randomly going out for a ride when you feel like it or anything like that!
Bikeabill & Yarg, my comments about FUEL deterioration are well known facts; I work in a classic car business & it is a common problem we experience day in day out. I`m also a member of the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club & the modern fuel causes problems with most members bikes that aren`t used on a regular basis. Modern fuels contain Ethanol, which absorbs moisture & causes corrosion to fuel tanks & carburettors as well as rotting various rubber items. It also starts to go off after only a month!
My initial statement was just to point out that maybe some extra preventative maintenance would be required, & to allow for this during the extent of the lockdown. My Kawasaki is 34yrs old & was in regular use up until last summer when circumstances meant I wasn`t able to use it enough. The fuel subsequently went stale within a few weeks & I`ve had to rebuild the carbs to clean out clogged jets, etc. I might add that this is not so much of an issue on modern bikes where they`ve been built to cope with Ethanol fuel.
The other part of my statement was a slightly tongue-in-cheek observation of motorcyclists, who would generally wear various forms of protective clothing before venturing out on two wheels, now not going out so as to avoid unnecessary strain on the emergency services if it all went wrong, & yet we are told we are allowed out to cycle as part of daily exercise, where a helmet is advisory only but you`re just as likely to have an accident, particularly with the current road conditions.
As an aside, I haven`t used any of my motorbikes since the beginning of the lockdown, when I was also furloughed, but have instead used the time to carry out some restoration work to my Kawasaki & also get fitter by cycling 6 & 1/2 miles. I have been riding motorbikes for 38 yrs, cycling longer, & I`m proud of holding a full clean licence in all that time. I have, so far, never had an accident requiring attendance of emergency services. I`ve fallen off a number of times, but if I can get up & walk then I`m fine! I ride within my capabilities, according to my surroundings; I don`t think that makes me an idiot or stupid!

Update Reply
Wraith750 @ 27/04/2020 00:16  

Easy solution for fuel deterioration... Drain it out....

Update Reply
TheSlasher @ 27/04/2020 12:21  

or put an additive in the tank to stop it, there are plenty of good ones about, my 500 guzzi does not get used a lot, but starts on the button first time every time. and it can be stood for many months, it is a 1982 vintage with twin carbs, and i dont drain the fuel.

Update Reply
rocker21 @ 27/04/2020 13:30  

My kwak hadn't run for almost 12 months and also fired up first time......once I put a new battery on. No fuel additives needed.

Update Reply
Double six @ 27/04/2020 13:52  

Right fo a start I still think people are making more of this not being able to rider than they should. I've been riding bikes for nearly 50 years and cycling fo more, last year I did over 600 mile in a day and I can easily cycle 100 in a day, I have 12 bikes from a 1925 AJS to a new unused Triumph and a Fireblade I haven't ride yet, just turn of the petrol or disconnect the pipe and run the bike till it stops end of, I've never had a problem with tanks. Not only petrol but oil and brake fluid take on water, this isn't a problem for me I can leave my older Fireblade a year and it still starts and runs ok, I put new engine oil in each year as we all should, if fork oil and brake fluid is changed as your book says than there is no problem there, although I have stands I don't use them but you can buy a pair for under £50 if you don't have a center stand to get the tyres of the ground, the only problem I have is old tyres get hard and crack but on the bikes I use they wear out first. I would of thought most people with classic bikes would know how to store ones that aren't getting used, if they don't than they don't deserve to have them

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 27/04/2020 20:09  

I've just been looking at this, with some decent reviews.

https://www.wynns.eu/product/dry-fuel_consumer/

Thinking about a purchase, but my bikes been stood since the end of last year. So the petrol as probably gone off. Although the tank is full.

Maybe a white elephant idea 😂

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 27/04/2020 20:47  

Oi YM! What you doing at Squires?! 🤔🙄

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 27/04/2020 21:44  

Hey Mick I've had bikes stood for a year and they still run ok, it's my cars that's a problem they don't like being left for a year

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 27/04/2020 21:55  

Hey Lindsay 😊 Well spotted. Was last year or year before that 🤔 Fancied a new profile photo and thought I'd stay away from the page 3 model type pic
🤭🤭 oops

I'm known to visit there now & again. Oh what I'd give to call in now ☹️ For a nice frothy coffee.

Hi Bill how's it doing. Been having some probs with the Sporty from cold. Some people say they are like that, so just put up with it. But I just know it's a fuel issue.
If I try set off within about 5 mins of warm up and on choke, no way will it pull, especially on an hill start. Gotta warm it on idle for well over 5 minutes. Sometimes more, before I can eventually pull away. Even then she misses and pops. About 2- 5 mile later she's buzzing like a good en. Fuel starvation or some kind of fuel choking me thinks🤔
Carbs are all cleaned from last year, but not had a good chance to run it far really. Now Covid as mucked that up for a good blow out and test 😠 Think fuel going off with moisture (damp shed) could be a factor too 🤔

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 28/04/2020 00:37  

Bikeabill - Yes some people talk a lot of balls here and continue to do so.

Steve_H - You have a lot to say generally. A 25 mile commute is entirely normal for you you say, more specifically the risks are entirely under your control. Really? Now who sounds idiotic?

Tezza1958- Well said. Yes thankfully we are all different.

Beerygilly - I agree with your observation of speeding traffic. Something I too have noticed on my commute to and from work.

Wraith750 - A well written post with some valid points. Yes an increase in DIY and BBQ accidents, along with domestic violence, child abuse, neglect, malnutrition, depression, poverty, a heightened crime rate with cost implications on the grandest of scales.

The site owner who has grown from boy to man here, may well agree that the art of good and healthy debate has slowly diminished over the years and the troll like behaviour and undermining comments of some members here may well be a contributory factor in its decline.

I have no time for careless, reckless disregard and for any lack of concern regarding the potential spread of infection. We all have a responsibility to take additional precautionary measures. It is also important to stay sane, as it is to stay healthy. Yes it is very weird, very eerie and very frightening right now, not just because of the very existence of Covid 19, but the impact it is having on society.

Look after yourselves and one another.. As in the Rumjacks Pot and Kettle lyrics

'Guts are bubblin belchin steam
Life ain't nothing but a fevered dream.
You're a Chanty pot,
And you're a Shite for brains,
but we're both here hanging
on the same old chains'..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/04/2020 11:03  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email