MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

The legend of ghubca

The legend of ghubca - Forums [Biker Match] The legend of ghubca - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

The legend of ghubca

I'm going to share a brilliant sad and funny story about a bike I have called ghubca
Back in the early 90's me and my best friend steve did a run down in Kent that happened every may bank Holiday, it runs from locksbottom and heads down the A21 to Hastings
Every year we looked forward to the mayday run and it became the focal point of our biking calander,
One year about 1999 it was March ish and my Kwak zx9 blew its engine, Steve had a spanking new R1 and ploughed it into the back of a car,
With us both bikeless we chipped in £50 each and armed with £100 we scoured the local papers for a cheap wreak to do the mayday on.
We found a decent Honda cd200 benly took it back to his mums house and painted it army green using gloss and a 2inch brush
It looked terrible 😂 we named the bike ghubca and did the funniest ever mayday run on it
17 years later and a whole load of mayday runs on proper bikes under our belt Steve suddenly and sadly passed away from a heart attack 😢
After the funeral his mum phoned me saying she'd found a old rusty army bike hidden away behind the shed and she thinks it's the old wreak we did the mayday on all those years ago,
I went round and to my amazement it was ghubca and looking very rusty and unsalvageable,
But.... With a lot of love and plenty of knowhow I spent a year rebuilding the engine and the whole bike restoring it to a beaten up wreak but with the silliest gadgets
I put a rescue beacon on a extendable pole on the back, used ammunition boxes as panniers and a PA system that blares out bugle charges and chicken cluck noises
Inside one of the panniers I build a home made flux capacitor with working flashing lights and took away the speedo and replaced it with a action man global navigation compass
I did the 40th anniversary mayday run on it in 2018 as a tribute to my best friend it was hilarious and I cried alot too ❤️

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/04/2020 12:37  

Nice story Paul and God bless your friends memory. Great story and ghubca sounds really good. Some fascinating innovations, with the rebuild 👍

My favourite story, was a friend of mine, who put Cornish pasties on his engine and wrapped in silver paper. To warm up while travelling from Yorkshire down to the Kent Custom Bike show. But he forgot about them and after the Dartford tunnel, on the M20, we had to flag him down, due to smoke billowing off of his engine. Examining the pies they were all burnt to a crisp and you had to open them with plyers 😂

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 11/04/2020 12:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email