MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Ferry Travel by Bike

Ferry Travel by Bike - Forums [Biker Match] Ferry Travel by Bike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Ferry Travel by Bike

Hopefully (virus permitting) I'm thinking of going this year, to the Hockenheim circuit historic festival event in Germany. I'm thinking of going by bike, and It's at the end of April. Been a Motorsport fan (into more cars than bikes) I'm really looking to hopefully attending.

https://www.hockenheim-historic.de/

Unfortunately I've never been abroad on my bike, so it's going to be a bit of an adventure. So port wise I'm unsure where to go from and where to arrive on the European mainland. I was thinking of Hull to Rotterdam as I am up in West Yorkshire.

Any advice and ideas or help would be great. I believe Hockenhiem is between Frankfurt and Stuttgart.

Also I have a bike issue related to the securement of my machine on board. I'm a bit worried about strapping it down, whether it be me or a port member of staff. You see some years ago, after breaking down, a recovery worker strapped my bike on the back of his truck and used those straps where shrouds go on the grips and then tighten down. Before I knew it my bike handlebars changed from Ape hangers to making my bike look like a cafe racer. Lol 😂😂

I could redo the clamping system better, to alleviate this, as I fitted an aftermarket clamp bracket, some years ago, and any extreme force on top can slightly move the bars. Oh it's safe and never moves while riding or tugging and pulling the bike about. But I guess It's something I really should attend to do now rather than later and worry about securement 🤭😬

So I was wondering how they strap the bike down on a ferry. Is every port different and do they strap the bars down etc.

Thanks all for any advice 👍

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 10/03/2020 15:30  

Hi Mick
Been across from Dover lots of times and they always have a separate area for bikes. There are sets of paired rings on deck and you park your bike between them with your bike on side stand. You (or staff) then pass a ratchet strap with a protective cushion to go over your seat and clamp it down. I've never had a problem even when it's been rough. There are usually far more straps than bikes to use them so you could almost always use additional straps if you're worried that one isn't enough

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/03/2020 17:32  

Thanks gbear for the info.
I guess for the first time I'll drag a member of staff over to give me a quick fitting guide. To make sure all goes well.

Cheers 👍😁

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 10/03/2020 19:28  

You got 4 choices of route , Hull , Harwich , Portsmouth or Dover , depends on where you live. I tend to put a grove on the front seat / tank area to soffen the inpact of the strap ., and if i rember an elastic band around the throttle / front brake .

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 10/03/2020 19:42  

Whichever port you sail from it is usually the stevedors who strap the bikes down. When the bike is on the sidestand it wont move so no worries there.
As far as port of choice you might be well advised to go from Hull to Zeebrugge because you'll have quite a distance to ride from europort. Otherwise a lengthy ride in England with an equally long ride to Hockenheim.

Update Reply
Double six @ 10/03/2020 20:14  

Hi Mick definalt go from Hull, you have a night out on the boat and wake up there, I strap the bike my self, one rope round the bars but you could use fork legs near the top, and one at the rear which goes round the frame tubes under the seat, take your luggage with you to be safe, I also have the on board meals, there carvery so you can eat as much as you can, I take a duty free bag in and fill it with enough food for my lunch but be careful they look out for it, ring me if you want to know more

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 10/03/2020 22:55  

May I say thank you everybody for all your help and advice. Really means a lot 👍 Also Bill thanks for your offer of contacting you if I need to know more 👍I will do 😁

I've done some research and the plans are coming together. I'm not 100% doing it but it's a possibility. Having said that the info received already will be logged in memory for future excursions. Just wish I'd have known about this Hockenheim event earlier so I could have had more planning time and done it properly.

Just one thing if I do go I hope I remember to drive on the right side of the road. Or in this case the wrong side as left is better 😂😂😂😂

Thanks all once again. Your all fantastic 👍

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 11/03/2020 19:03  

talking about wrong side , i have ridden/driven in France/Spain/Germany/Holland and Belguim all on bikes and Righthand car , the only time i had trouble was jumping into my dads car in france which was left hand drive and i kept smacking my left hand against the door Knob ;)

Update Reply
Jack Jones @ 11/03/2020 21:48  

A word of caution Mick. Watch out for the steel loading ramps. They tend to be a bit slippery when wet so take it easy with your right hand

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/03/2020 22:12  

Mad mic I've never driven on the other side, but been a driver for over 40 years and never had (touch wood) a series accident (but caused thousands) it will take some getting used to if I attempt it. But I'm sure I will due to my bike riding and car experience along with my Class 1 hgv and bus driving experience 😁

Thanks gbear for that forewarning. It was something I came across on research but always good to be reminded. Just like what Bill mentioned about making sure you take all your essentials and everything for onboard of of the bike. As your not allowed to go back to it later 🤭

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 11/03/2020 22:32  

,you don't have to worry about which side you ride on, just use the same side as everyone else

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 11/03/2020 23:00  

No worries. Not a problem Bill 👍

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 12/03/2020 12:53  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email