MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Left Foot Surgery-recovery

Left Foot Surgery-recovery - Forums [Biker Match] Left Foot Surgery-recovery - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Left Foot Surgery-recovery

Hi, I'm due to have some fairly extensive surgery on my left foot next Thursday. Big toe will be rotated and screwed in place, 2nd toe pinned permanently, tendon transfer and some bone removed and also a neuroma (inflamed nerve) removed.
Has anyone had experience of anything similar, especially interested in how long before you could ride......

Update Reply
Angelina Ballerina @ 10/01/2020 22:14  

Hello AB, hope all goes well with the surgery.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 11/01/2020 00:10  

Hi I had a was at a junction about to turn left and the mini behind me ran over my heel and broke my fib and Tibet so I had a plate with 4 screws on right if ankle and 2 large pins on left, so was in plaster for 6 weeks then had a boot fitted was in that for two weeks then I took 1 week extra off work and was walking with crutches. By the sounds of your surgery it may take longer, mine was on my right leg so I was aloud to drive / ride when I was able to brake without pain. Just consult with your surgeon, hope it goes well 👍

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/01/2020 05:57  

Thanks sandi 🤞🏻

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Hello AB, hope all goes well with the surgery....

Update Reply
Angelina Ballerina @ 11/01/2020 07:11  

Hi Angelina,
I hope it all goes well for next week and you're back up and riding quickly,
With it being your left foot you could ride everywhere in 1st gear to get back on the bike sooner. but could cost a few quid in petrol.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 11/01/2020 07:22  

I broke my left fib in 2017 and completely dislocated my foot from my ankle playing football, basically my foot was hanging loose and flopping about, (think sledgehammer scene from the film Misery).

Two operations, all screwed and plated, and I didn't walk on it for 6 months.

I had very limited movement in the ankle after 4 months in a cast and 2 months in a boot and I was really worried I wouldn't be able to ride a geared bike again.

I did have to get my gear lever adjusted and I only just had enough movement and was missing some gears, but once I did start riding again it was great! The gear change movement was excellent physiotherapy, and a day riding was a day with lots of ankle exercise, but no weight bearing, and I had better movement and less pain for the next 3 or 4 days after.

I know what you are having done is a bit different, and no doubt it will be painful to start with on your toe, but it's all going to be protected inside your boot, you can get them strapped up in bandages and it's actually your ankle that does all the work not your toe, so you'll still be able to change gear it's just a case of how painful it is on your toe pulling and pushing against the gear lever.

The tendon will take longer to heal than the bone, but again you need the main strength in your ankles not your toes.

Be disciplined with your physio exercises!

Good luck with it all, I hope you heal quickly, and don't worry, time flies and you'll be back riding before you know it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/01/2020 10:59  

Daughter broke and dislocated her left foot at ankle it was totally detached from leg (at 90 degree angle to right foot! ... Floppy Foot Syndrome😳) on 1September last year.

The Physio was shocked having seen x-rays (lots of scaffolding etc) when my daughter rocked up with one elbow crutch (17 Nov).

Physio said she was doing really well and the recovery rate was remarkable. Within a couple of days of physio appt she started learning to drive and passed her test on 29 Nov then she bought a car the following day (drove it from Manchester to Leeds n then onto Nottingham - mad bird!!)

She is now walking unaided, having ditched crutches n stick around 20 November. It's slow steady away but getting there. Back at work too.

I think she is itching to get on her 'bike (Z1000) but she is a little unsure of amount of movement in her left foot, so is holding off until spring and is doing all her exercises.

I think it's a case of mind over matter, take each day as it comes, do what you are told with regards to exercises and remember you can do it! Don't rush it, if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't!

Good luck with the op (it sounds like it's a complicated one) and your recovery!

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 11/01/2020 17:13  

Hope all goes well and you have a fast recovery .
Just 1 thing that makes me smile ...... when they say you can ride/ drive when you can brake ... without pain ! How do you know till your breaking??

Update Reply
Matt04 @ 11/01/2020 17:44  

Thanks for the encouraging response. I'm worried I won't be able to get my bike boots on to start with as lots of swelling expected tbh. Then theres the issue of pushing the bike about. All the pressure pushing goes through the fore foot (as that's where the current pains are making things difficult right now).

I'm not a patient patient and taking my 2 methods of relaxation and pleasure away (biking and walking my dogs) is an incredibly daunting prospect. If it were the result of am accident I wouldn't really have any choice about it but I have the luxury of choosing whether to proceed or not and I'm currently dithering about cancelling it.

Quote:
I broke my left fib in 2017 and completely dislocated my foot from my ankle playing football, basically my foot was hanging loose and flopping about, (think sledgehammer scene from the film Misery).

Update Reply
Angelina Ballerina @ 11/01/2020 18:45  

This may sound a bit iffy but I'm away skiing this week, on Monday I fell and dislocated my shoulder, arm right out of the socket and pointing sideways, skied back about 30 kilometres holding my arm up, had to get up 6 lifts to
get back to the chalet, went to the medical center, were they put my arm back in, I was skiing again Wensday with one pole, now Saturday and nearly have full movement in the arm and can carry my skis with it, as some one said a lot of it's mind over matter, had to keep the joint moving to stop it from ceasing up should be back at work in about another weeks time

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 11/01/2020 20:03  

Ha, I don't use my brakes AND, it's the wrong foot 🤣

Quote:
Hope all goes well and you have a fast recovery .
Just 1 thing that makes me smile ...... when they say you can ride/ drive when you can brake ... without pain ! How do you know till your breaking?? ...

Update Reply
Angelina Ballerina @ 11/01/2020 20:29  

Your daughter's injury sounds similar to mine Lindsay. I asked the doctor what I could do that would make a really big difference, he said if only you were 20 years younger!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/01/2020 22:39  

ROFL... She's 25 so she ain't a kid any more...

She's all growed up now😂🤣😂👍🏻🙄🤔 ...hmmm possibly 😲

Hope everything goes smoothly AB 🤞🏻

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 15/01/2020 00:09  

I hope the surgery went well and you are on the road to a successful recovery. Miss you.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/01/2020 10:14  

That's my point Lindsay, at 25 she's 18 years younger than me, and why from a very similar injury you get a very different result

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 21/01/2020 23:58  

How did it go AB?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/01/2020 00:00  

Hope you are recovering well AB 🤞🏻

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 31/01/2020 08:53  

no need to ride all pilly u x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 05/02/2020 18:21  

How ur foot ang