MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Mental block.ever gonna pass

Mental block.ever gonna pass - Forums [Biker Match] Mental block.ever gonna pass - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Mental block.ever gonna pass

Forgive me , but I have now done 3 mod 1s. When I practice I do all of it no problems. But as soon as I get on the test I flump. I'm confident but not cocky , and just fail. Maybe I should just give it a rest for 6 month's ?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/07/2019 16:40  

Maybe you are trying too hard, are you currently riding a 125? if so get some more experience on that and try again in a few weeks.
That is all I can say really, if you are only riding when you have lessons, maybe you are not getting enough 2 wheel time to feel really confident inside, 125's can be great fun, and you can pick a good one up for less than a grand.

Update Reply
Tezza1958 @ 16/07/2019 17:59  

Hello Latheman, I know how you feel, I failed my test 3 times and gave up trying due to lack of funds mostly, but the last examiner was anti bikers I think. He had an attitude on him before we even left the test centre.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is don't rest, keep practicing.
Get a friend to ride with you, one who has passed their test but not been riding too long, don't want to pick up any bad habits 😉

You will get there, if you keep practicing. All the best 👍
Keep us informed

Update Reply
Sandi @ 16/07/2019 20:51  

Been following your progress lathe, sorry to hear you have failed your mod 1 again, don't give up.. as they say practice makes perfect.
Better luck next time.. 🤞

Update Reply
Biker lovin Blonde @ 18/07/2019 14:23  

I passed first time but in truth it was by accident.

I was, and still am, an utter nervous wreck in a test situation. Every. Bloody. Time. So how did I pass?

I made an error during the test. Not huge but I *knew* I'd made that error. At that point I made a conscious decision to complete the test for experience with no expectation of passing. *I relaxed*. I was so convinced I'd already fluffed the test that in the Q&A afterwards I argued a point on the Highway Code.

It was with some surprise then that I heard the examiner tell me I'd passed.

It sounds like the OP may have a similar problem to me. The more importance that is attached to the outcome, the more nervous I get. No importance, no nerves.

There are ways to work on it: Bach Flower remedies Rescue Remedy -available in Boots and Sainsburys - is useful (the first time I did a work presentation to 45 future networking colleagues I breezed it thanks to this stuff). Be aware its mildly alcohol based so just one squirt to the back of the tongue... it's enough to get you started without getting yourself worked up to "bag of nerves" status.

Also look for mental / breathing exercises to help calm you. And no I'm not a hippy 😂

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/07/2019 19:06  

Hee, hee, hee!
I failed my first mod1 without getting on the bike!

I took 8 mod1 attempts… always the same, perfectly fine on the schools test apron… stuffed it up in the test…
Swerve and brake manoeuvre mostly… just couldn't get up to the minimum speed…

Then 2 mod2 attempts… daft things like forgetting which exit the examiner had stated to take…
But I persevered…

And passed direct access ten years ago… now I'm about to clock up 50k miles on two wheels!

It does get easier. Having your own bike helps as you'll go out on your own. Also, when you ride to the school, you'll be ready for the days training, not finding your feet (again) from the previous lesson.

I bought a Honda 125 Varadero (£1750) to get me through direct access.

Update Reply
oddbod @ 02/08/2019 01:40  

Yes, maybe you are on the wrong bike for you. Try having a go on something different. You must feel comfortable and feel like you are part of the bike so manoevering becomes one action, an even flow, any jerkiness can put you right off.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2019 13:34  

Latheman it sounds like test nerves.
I failed first attempt and on the second did the same as MM850, convinced I f**ked it again I just took it as practice. Utterly gobsmacked when he said I'd passed.
Keep at it. Yes its expensive, but not half as expensive as its going to get once you pass :-)

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 03/08/2019 19:18  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email