MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Hydraulic Clutch Conversion..?

Hydraulic Clutch Conversion..? - Forums [Biker Match] Hydraulic Clutch Conversion..? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Hydraulic Clutch Conversion..?

Has anybody tried retro-fitting a hydraulic clutch setup onto a cable equipped bike?(it's an age thing,lol)
My old 94 Tiger has hydraulic clutch and is delightful all the time,my '00 Speed Triple 955i is cable operated, and with my duff left wrist and fingers it's never going to get easier in heavy traffic...views?pro's/con's?
And yes ,i have tried ALL possible routes/adjustments for cable,span adjust lever conversion,and several different makes of cables..!!And NO...not selling Rudolph under any circumstances,lol..!!

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 13/04/2019 11:19  

Quite a few air-cooled RD owners have done it when building a special, i’ve machined a few cases for some of them. Not actually that hard.
I’ll see if I can find a link

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/04/2019 13:28  

http://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/21838/350-ypvs-hydraulic-clutch-conversion

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/04/2019 13:34  

As I understand it, the ease with which a clutch can be converted to hydraulic depends on whether it's a wet clutch or a dry clutch. Wet clutches are more easily switched over. Do you know which type the Speed triple has? I'm not saying it's not possible on a dry clutch but I know converting my elderly guzzi to hydraulic was an all out pain for my local "little" bike workshop (the kind of workshop that deals in old bike / rarer bikes / "challenges"). They did manage it though 😊

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 13/04/2019 13:53  

Wet clutch on my 955i,but will do work myself,even if it means adapting a kit to suit....never had a problem with Big Guzzi clutches...heavy action usually down to bad cable routing,or scored tunnel where release bearings fit...my V1000G5 is still a one finger clutch action...:)>
Most "cheapy" or expensive kits i've looked at appear to be practically identical ,just need a sturdy mounting point for slave 'cylinder' to bolt to,allowing a nice straight pull to clutch arm on casing...i know you get what you pay for in this world,but i may as well buy a cheap Chinese kit,purely as a sacrificial experiment piece...prices vary wildly from £20 to £300 +,so i might as well start at the cheap end...quite a few companies around this way make hydraulic stuff for agricultural use,so i can always beef up components as required...thanks for all thoughts peeps...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 13/04/2019 18:26  

Hydraulic kit arrived from Far East faster than a magic carpet,lol...i've started a photographic record on profile,and will add any notes here as i go along...if anyone has weak wrist like me or arthritic fingers and wants to know how it compares to standard clutch cable setup,just PM me and i'll do my best to help...watch this space,lol

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 07/05/2019 19:46  

You'll know a dry clutch by the sound it makes on tickover, it rattles like two skeletons having sex in a metal dustbin. Quite a few Ducatis have dry clutches :-)

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
As I understand it, the ease with which a clutch can be converted to hydraulic depends on whether it's a wet clutch or a dry clutch. Wet clutches are more easily switched over. Do you know which type the Speed triple has? I'm not saying it's not possible on a dry clutch but I know converting my elderly guzzi to hydraulic was an all out pain for my local "little" bike workshop (the kind of workshop that deals in old bike / rarer bikes / "challenges"). They did manage it though 😊

Update Reply
Cornholio @ 08/05/2019 12:49  

But Guzzis have a dry clutch....no skeletons there but their management decisions..lol

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 08/05/2019 14:25  

Decided to make life easy,so bought a 900 Trophy with hydraulic clutch as standard,lol.
Still plan to experiment on Speed Triple though..""OO""

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/05/2019 12:08  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email