MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Old Leathers

Old Leathers - Forums [Biker Match] Old Leathers - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Old Leathers

I recently bought a used Frank Thomas one piece leather racing suit from ebay. It had a strange and very strong smell. Hard to describe, it wasn't BO or sweat or mould, but a kind of acidic sickly smell. Anyhow, I put it in the washing machine. It made no difference. I washed it again with fabric conditioner, still no difference. I then soaked it in the bath with disinfectant and even a bit of bleach. That helped a bit, but then it smelt like a swimming pool. Then I put in in the washing machine again. When it was dry I treated it with leather conditioner. Finally it smells a bit better, but still a bit weird and certainty nothing like a new set of leathers. Does anybody know why this is ??

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/02/2019 10:51  

Weird; my guess would be some kind of chemical home leather treatment that had gone off- you might try a good scrub with saddle soap, if nothing else, it's a good workout!

Update Reply
Gallowglass @ 09/02/2019 14:14  

At least you know why they sold it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/02/2019 15:17  

Dunno why smelly, but try using a little Renapur Leather Balsam on your leathers. It may help get the suppleness back a bit (washing? I've never washed leather before but would imagine it's a tad rigid 😵). Recommended by ex partner, worked a treat on my leather sofa n a nice smell too 😎 . He used it on his leathers as it gives a waterproofing layer too.

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 09/02/2019 20:28  

My theory.?..someone wore them for a trackday,realised at the hairpin that new brake pads should have been fitted...instant bowels/leathers interaction....eeyuw,hence the wiffines...lol

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 11/02/2019 10:42  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email