MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Press Release - ULEZ and exemption of older motorcycles

Press Release - ULEZ and exemption of older	motorcycles - Forums [Biker Match] Press Release - ULEZ and exemption of older	motorcycles - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Press Release - ULEZ and exemption of older motorcycles

MAG, ULEZ and exemption of older motorcycles

Update on: Honda, BMW, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Harley Davidson, KTM,
Lexmoto, Aprilia, Husqvarna, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio, Royal Enfield,
Triumph, Norton, Gilera, Vespa.

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has been working to exempt as many
motorcycles as possible from the high Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ)
charges being introduced in London in April 2019. In a series of
releases, MAG is outlining the progress made with manufacturers in
helping you to avoid charges, by proving your motorcycle is compliant
with the emissions levels that have been set.

Following a productive meeting with the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan,
regarding motorcycles in the Capital, MAG is engaged in seeking
information from manufacturers which will help you secure an exemption
for your motorcycle. MAG’s Director of Communications & Public Affairs,
Lembit Öpik, explains: ‘we have agreed with the Mayor that those
motorcycles which achieve the emissions standards set for the ULEZ
charge should be exempt. It’s common sense and eminently fair to do this.

‘There are two ways to achieve that exemption: a Certificate of
Conformity, showing that your machine produces less NOx than the upper
permissible limit; or a specific test of your machine providing evidence
that this is the case. We’re working with manufacturers to see what
needs to be done to get a Certificate of Conformity (COC) and we’ll
share that information as we get it.

MAG is also working to seek a simple, long-term solution that avoids any
punitive toxic tax for motorbikes and scooters. The current proposal,
which MAG is opposing, would add £12.50 to a daily commute for many,
increasing the cost of the journey by over 1,000%.

We’ll keep you posted on manufacturers as we get more information from them.

Contact MAG at 01926 844 064 or central-office@mag-uk.org

ENDS

How to get Certificate of ULEZ exemption link:
https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/f/fd/How_to_get_Certificate_of_ULEZ_exemption.pdf

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 05/01/2019 17:58  

Hope they get it but I wouldn't hold my breath lol

Update Reply
JP @ 05/01/2019 18:01  

I'll be pinging Triumph an email tomorrow to see if my older Tiger is ok.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 05/01/2019 18:10  

Not sure if this is the same as 1st post

Update regarding MAG’s campaigning in London
On 27th November 2018, MAG met with London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, and members of his team, including Heidi Alexander and Lilli Matson, who is in charge of surface transport for Transport for London (TfL).
The meeting focussed on two issues affecting powered two wheelers (PTWs): bus lane access and Ultra Low Emissions Zones (ULEZ).
Regarding bus lane access, the Mayor agreed with MAG about a pan-London use of bus lanes by motorcycles and scooters and suggested a ‘pincer movement’ with TfL, targeting the councils with requests for access; MAG’s local membership can assist with sending these requests. There are 33 boroughs, each with its own policy, so there is a lot of work ahead. We do have access to the Strategic Road Network (SRN) or ‘red routes’.
In respect to ULEZ and PTWs, following discussion the Mayor agreed that, provided it can be proved that motorcycles meet the NOx standard, they will be exempted. However, motorcycles are not emissions-tested at MOT stations because they don’t have the equipment with which to do so.
To give an example, Douglas had his 2005 BMW R1150RT tested for and passed on Carbon Dioxide (CO2) and Particulate Matter (PM) but because there is no requirement for a NOx emission test, this could not be checked. TfL will require vehicles to meet this testing criteria but at the present time the only test available is the manufacturer’s initial test. These results are available for some (but not all) vehicles.
BMW will, for a £120 fee, issue a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) stating the NOx value (.15g/km being the maximum allowed). This paperwork can then be sent to TfL and the bike be exempted from the tax. However, returning to the example, TfL will only accept this for Douglas’s BMW R1150RT so all owners of this model of bike will have to pay for a CoC and send it off individually to TfL. Yamaha, Harley Davidson and KTM all charge for this certificate; Honda doesn’t charge for the first one but does charge for subsequent ones. The oldest bike we have found so far that has a CoC pass is a 2003 ST1300 Pan European.
The DVSA’s technical department has confirmed that they have no such requirement in the pipeline, but they are aware of and awaiting TfL’s testing requirement for NOx before putting such a test in place.
MAG has identified that it takes several weeks to enter the information onto TfL’s database and this, plus the time required to obtain the CoC from the manufacturers, has led to concerns that people will be charged even though their vehicle is exempt.
Further, TfL has stated that they have sent over 2 million letters to residents in the proposed extended ULEZ; however, we have had reports from people as far afield as Wales that they have received one of these letters. This begs the question: has TfL sent these letters to anyone who has previously entered the congestion zone rather than just London residents?
MAG’s Director of Campaigns & Public Engagement, Colin Brown, believes that there has been insufficient due diligence regarding the impact assessment of this tax, both in its initial phase from April 2019 and, more so, in the extension of the zone’s boundaries scheduled for 2021.
It should be noted that the new ULEZ requirements will apply to other vehicles that use London roads, not just motorcycles. We have not checked these figures but it seems likely that there will be a significant impact on owners.
Regards
Tim Fawthrop
Greater London Regional Rep for MAG

Update Reply
JP @ 05/02/2019 16:09  

stay away from London...………...problem solved ……...it smells and its dirty

Update Reply
stutts @ 05/02/2019 21:47  

Ah yes stutts, but it pays so well..l command sufficient funds in the cold months to live very well for the remainder..😊

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/02/2019 22:45  

It's not good news... because I have one.

Update Reply
OliverMatthews @ 19/05/2019 19:39  

I would have thought it nearly un-enforceable,to be honest...i'm sure the plods have plenty more to worry about than how clean someone's bike is running ??Probably just a precursor to mandatory emissions readings for bike mot's in the near future....:/>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 19/05/2019 20:55  

I knew there was a good reason for owning a Pan Euro ST1300 TRIKE

Update Reply
Hellforleather0 @ 22/05/2019 17:30  

ANPR everywhere, the only way to beat it is a dirty number plate or no number plate. Both will get you a tug eventually.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I would have thought it nearly un-enforceable,to be honest...i'm sure the plods have plenty more to worry about than how clean someone's bike is running ??Probably just a precursor to mandatory emissions readings for bike mot's in the near future....:/>

Update Reply
Cornholio @ 24/05/2019 21:56  

Yep, I moved away a little while ago. Better roads, less traffic, less plod, and less scumbags. I don't even wanna go back to see mates now, they can visit me any time they like though. LOL

----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
stay away from London...………...problem solved ……...it smells and its dirty

Update Reply
Cornholio @ 24/05/2019 21:58  

The whole thing is one big scam. They claim it's to cut pollution and to get people to use public transport more. But if you know anything about public transport in London, you'll know that it's overcrowded, underfunded, and full of c*nts. They know people won't use it, so they invent a tax which enables them to help themselves to the contents of your bank account. Lorries and buses are the biggest polluters, then diseasal cars. Bikes aren't even close to causing a pollution problem in London, not even the stinkiest two stroke with a badly adjusted oil pump comes anywhere near the levels of pollution caused by the diseasal brigade.

Update Reply
Cornholio @ 24/05/2019 22:06  

Very good actical mate

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/08/2019 00:45  

If you live in London get an electriic scooter, you dont need tax or insurance for them ( not sure how Long that will last ) and you can fold them up to take in work or home so no parking problem

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 02/08/2019 01:39  

Not legal to ride on the road or pavement Bill

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 02/08/2019 07:11  

It may not be legal Ragnar but I saw plenty of people riding them both on the road and on the pavements when I was in London recently

Update Reply
Bikeabill @ 24/09/2019 04:46  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email