MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Getting back on a bike

Getting back on a bike - Forums [Biker Match] Getting back on a bike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Getting back on a bike

Some of us will face the problem of getting back on a bike after a break from riding or after illness. This thread is for sharing experiences and ideas that can help us get back the enjoyment and thrill of motorcycling.
My story is 9 months of cancer treatment which left me physically weak, with little stamina and nerve damage resulting in loss of sensitivity in my hands and feet.
My longest continuous break from the saddle was only 10 weeks so I hadn't forgotten how to ride I just didn't know whether my body could still do it.
My first tip is to find an empty supermarket car park (luckily I'm only a mile from one) on a Sunday morning before opening and practice low speed handling. It showed me that my control skills were sufficient to get out town. That exhausted me for day and when a few days later I got out into the country I rode like a pig on rollerskates, but that's a topic for another day.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2018 10:03  

Good that you're still with us SD.
Long may you ride x

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/11/2018 16:46  

After suffering massive damage to fingers,wrist and arm bones with multiple breakages,i found cheapy tennis balls to squeeze and crush as an addition to regular physiotherapy a positive move...i had a need to 'fast track' enough strength and grip to work a clutch lever again..once i was improving rapidly,i switched to squash balls for final honing...:)

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 01/11/2018 18:01  

Thanks Sandi, I'm enjoying motorcycling again.
Jinx, I heard it rumoured that you're a ball squeezer.
I perhaps should say that I'm now 17 months post treatment and in that time I've built up from 20 miles in a day being physically exhausting to managing 400 in a day and 800 over 3 days. Not where I used to be but it's more than enough to plan touring in 2019 with appropriate rest days.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/11/2018 18:48  

Hope you get to see every dawn and sunset you always wanted to...ride safe SD...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 01/11/2018 18:57  

Slowly Duz It..
Glad you are able to ride again and gathering more strength day by day.
Ride Safe........ Kath x

Update Reply
Biker lovin Blonde @ 01/11/2018 21:53  

Thanks Kath. Riding a bike helped my return to normality and I recommend it to anyone.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/11/2018 13:30  

Yes definitely building up your muscles. I took some tips off YT, using light weights for wrists. Pleasantly surprised that throttle wrist didn't hurt after six hour trip.

I've been using some supplements as well. One claims to rejuvenate every cell in your body. It makes your skin feel like it did when you were young. Trying specific ones may help rebuild nerve damage(some seem to work, others I've found have little benefit). Also modifying your bike can help.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/11/2018 18:52  

Have to agree about weights,mine were to strengthen my re-arranged knee and ankle...all my bikes end up with 'dogleg' type levers,just to aid the two good fingers and thumb on my left hand with easier leverage...if cable clutch,then re-routing for large smooth curves rather than forced around frame and engine in torturous angles can help immensely (look at my Speed Triple cable routing sometime,not pretty,but VERY light action),as can weekly wash-throughs with good old WD40,especially for those of us who ride 12 months a year :)> No comment on supplements as i've always hated taking tablets..(ironic,since i gulp down 5 a day,every day, since my stroke) :)> Vitamin C is the only 'extra' in my cupboard..:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 03/11/2018 20:34  

Loss of core strength affected me resulting in distracting lower back pain after a few miles riding. Gym was the answer, boring but necessary. My saviours were an excellent chiropractor and a motivational kettlebell teacher who makes classes tough but fun.
I take Vitamin B medically recommended to assist nerve repair. I don’t think it helped with riding but I’m dropping fewer glasses and spending less time scrabbling round the garage floor looking for stray nuts.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/11/2018 00:06  

If your nuts dropped off,i'd say it's time to review your prescription,SD..:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 04/11/2018 13:43  

Up to the usual standard jinx... 🤣🤣🤣

Update Reply
Biker lovin Blonde @ 04/11/2018 15:43  

They put the words on my brain..i just type what i see...:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 04/11/2018 16:12  

I tried to make a appointment but the doctor wouldn’t see me if I was going to talk bollocks.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/11/2018 17:18  

I still struggle with my left hand now,no feeling in two fingers,and a wrist that doesn"t turn more than a few degrees..and that's since 1976,so know where you'te coming from SD..bloodyminded determination can conquer all mate..:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 04/11/2018 17:38  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email