MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

First bike?

First bike? - Forums [Biker Match] First bike? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

First bike?

A friend of mine is wanting to take her bike test but doesn't have a bike. She's asked me for recommendations on what to get as her first bike. As I passed my test over 20 years ago I don't have a clue but I'm sure someone on here can provide some good advice. Any ideas?

Update Reply
Dangermouse @ 04/01/2008 03:35  

I assume she's had lessons and has booked her test? Is she doing DAS or 125? What style of bike does she like? Sport, Cruiser, Road, Trail? If she can afford it I'd say HIRE a bike from the riding school, then purchase later. I assume she will have been using their bike anyway while learning so she will have an idea what kind of bike she likes? If she's soon to take her test maybe hiring is her best option, especially if she wants to move up to a bigger CC, if she has loads of time, and especially if she wants to stick with 125s and not go for a bigger bike, then I suggest buying. Got to bike shops sit on as many bikes as she can to get a feel for them, seat height and comfort, seating position etc. Ask loads of questions, do comparisons, the Used Bike Guide is good for that. Learners can't go wrong with a sturdy, built-for-dropping Honda CG. A lot of riding schools use them. I learned on a Yamaha SR, it's very similar style to the old Honda CM, a baby cruiser style. I wish her luck, let us know what she chooses and how she gets on with her test.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 04/01/2008 04:33  

Honda CG, quick enough to crap yourself on but docile and sturdy enough to cope with everything.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 04/01/2008 05:10  

Honda CG125, brilliant bikes for learning on and don't devalue once they hit 500 quid. Dirt cheap to insure, run and maintain too. Buy an original Honda one, not a Chinese copy cos they're garbage.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 04/01/2008 11:11  

jees brings back memories. I remember getting my first bike. It was soooo exciting riding around on it. Ive never had the buzz i had on my original 125 bike, even now with a blackbird. Aaaaah. But yea, CG is a good one. Or any of the little cruisers, low centre of gravity so very forgiving.

Update Reply
Matt @ 04/01/2008 15:20  

Gotta agree with GH and co about the Honda CG125. That was my first bike (believe it or not, that was blue as well lol) and that wee bike got me all over the place and never faltered once. If you're looking for a more cruiser style of bike then Suzuki makes the GN 125, which I know a local riding school use quite a few of. That in mind, i might be worth your friend's while getting in touch with a few local schools and finding out what make/model of learner bikes they use. If they use them, then they must be good 'uns.

Update Reply
Blueboy955i @ 06/01/2008 10:14  

just a thought are we askin g for first bike prior to teats or after what kwak said sums it up very well though

Update Reply
Roadkingian @ 06/01/2008 10:22  

i had an aprilia pegaso strada 650 single with yamaha engine it was brilliant light,quick,manoverable,a doddle to ride a great bike for male,female,experianced,and new riders wish i never sold it try one out they"r cheap too

Update Reply
hombre @ 06/01/2008 16:12  

You need an RD125 stage 4 race tuned.... LOL.. Well thats what i had

Update Reply
skins @ 06/01/2008 17:35  

my lil cbr 125 is nice to ride ...........

Update Reply
nina @ 06/01/2008 17:38  

u got a lovely bike nina hun

Update Reply
RC @ 06/01/2008 17:40  

I had a FS1E, then a Yamaha RD250E on my 17th birthday.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 06/01/2008 18:32  

i had a cardboard box in the kitchen for a couple of months, then an FZR 600

Update Reply
lula @ 06/01/2008 18:42  

I started on a Yamaha Virago 125 but found the U turns a little hard to do, could only manage about 1 in 3 so then bought a Yamaha SR125(off ebay for just over £500) to take my test on, loved that bike and was very sad to sell it on but it held its price well and proved to be a great all round bike and good for U turning on a test, could do them on the SR in only a third of the road allowed. Only parted with both my 125's to fund my 535, woo hoo now de restricted two years goes so fast.

Update Reply
Cruiser gal @ 06/01/2008 18:44  

If your mate is only doing CBT or restricted licence (125cc) then go for a CG125. My better half still has wome to pootleing to work and like everyone else has said they are hard to kill but damm cheap to run. But get an elecie start model if you can. If they are going for their DAS the my recomendation is a Kawasaki ER-5. This was my first bike and again built like a tank but rode well did rallies well and was a very forgiving bike to ride. I live in liverpool and worked in Halifax so rode over the top of the pennines everyday even in winter. She never let me down and anyone who had driven or ridden the M62 to halifax will know what I am talking about.

Update Reply
Phil @ 08/01/2008 17:45  

I learnt on a CG125 so they get my vote as well, and as PP above has said almost 20 years later I own another one! They are great for pottering around on and are absolutely bombproof so great for learning maintenance on, and survive very well until you do learn where and what to do with it. If you are looking for a post test bike, have a look at Kawasaki ER6n or Er6f. They are really friendly bikes but still have a bit of zip to them when you have got more confidence. If you are taller then maybe consider the Versys, same engine as the ERs but just a bigger bike all round.

Update Reply
Deleted User @ 09/01/2008 15:27  

I did my 5 day intensive 13 years ago on a SR125 then passed my test and bought an SR250. But soon got fed up with that so bought a gorgeous old green Z650. Was a lovely bike! So it wasnt long before I upgraded and the old z still shifted pretty well lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 09/01/2008 15:56  

My first bike was a 1957ish Bsa B32 350cc singe. I wrote a short stry about it. I clicked 'Post message' but it seems to have disappeard into oblivion. If it doesn't turn up, I will see if I get chance to re-write it sometime. M.S.

Update Reply
M.S. @ 14/01/2008 00:04  

The above message shoud have read BSA B31. God! in getting worse.

Update Reply
M.S. @ 14/01/2008 00:05  

It's worse than I thought. Last message should have read: The above message should have read BSA B31. God! I'm getting worse.

Update Reply
M.S. @ 14/01/2008 00:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email