MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Powder coating

Powder coating - Forums [Biker Match] Powder coating - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Powder coating

Hi I'm thinking of having my spiked wheels powder coated,does anybody know if the process would damage or weaken the spokes,Thanks chris

Update Reply
10chris46 @ 03/04/2018 09:59  

Shouldn't damage your spoked wheels.

You could have them striped and rebuilt only painting the rims and hubs or you could paint the whole assembeld wheels coating the spokes, hubs and rims. The choice is yours.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/04/2018 19:58  

It won't damage them per se, but it may not give the result you want, if it's just cosmetic?
Unless they're stainless spokes (and then why would you want to coat them..) they are almost certainly galvanised, and the curing temperature of the powder coating will almost certainly cause some out-gassing as you'll have oxides and other things lurking in the surface. Which will probably lead to poor adhesion, peeling, lumps, and cracks on the powder coating.

New spokes are relatively inexpensive, and wheel building is not that dear either.
May I ask why you want to coat them? Curious...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/04/2018 21:07  

Thanks for your replies, I'm having them coated because previous owner didn't look after it and they look a mess,also having paint job done and want wheels to look as good as the rest of the bike

Update Reply
10chris46 @ 07/04/2018 12:01  

Look a mess...? In what way?

Genuine spokes should clean up OK with some mild grade wire wool, unless they're really pitted.

In which case, it would be wiser to have the wheel rebuilt...which isn't much different to the cost of powder coating and would look far superior.

Same with the wheels...even chrome will take a soft paste polish and very mild cutting.

Update Reply
nickscafe @ 19/04/2018 20:53  

From my experience, any kind of coating on spokes is a waste of time, because it damages so easily. Stainless is the best option any day.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/04/2018 12:53  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email