MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

pilly tips?

pilly tips? - Forums [Biker Match] pilly tips? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

pilly tips?

ne have any tips for riding comfortably as a pilly. I have arthritis in my hips n knees and I'm finding I can only manage 30mins ride before my joints are stiff and painful and need to stop for a break. I was hoping to do some longer runs this year, like the egg run and pilly day but cant see how I can do these without regular stops which would really cause unwanted delays.

Update Reply
She11 @ 16/03/2018 12:23  

First and foremost you must have a comfortable seat or some sort of padding either on the seat or in your clothing to help cushion any jarring, even your footwear, no really hard soles again to cushion any vibration through the footrests.
In the case of arthritis sufferers keeping the joints warm with good clothing is imperative too.
Get out as much as you can with the same rider to get used to them, have confidence in their ability to ride with you on the back, having this confidence will create less tension through your muscles and joints through gripping on too tight, its all about being able to relax as much as you can and enjoy the ride.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/03/2018 13:58  

I recommend m/c socks for that extra cushioning in your footwear. I have a condition called plantar fasciitis and they really help. My bike boots are heavy and not very comfortable, until I started wearing m/c socks and it was like I was wearing a different pair of boots.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 16/03/2018 14:14  

I think the ride position will make a difference for you too maybe? Are you legs bent up or a bit more relaxed and have you tried straightening yoyr leg and having a little wiggle while going along and maybe with a signal to rider so he knows you're gonna do it.... Also it's usually better for rider if you readjust your position at higher than slow manoeuvres speed.... Maybe lean forward fir a bit..... Then lean a but back.... Just keep moving a little as often as possible and some bikes are far more comfy than others.....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/03/2018 20:51  

Yeah agree with everyone else just keep trying different things until it's right for you, even the slightest change in your position will help. Jo

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/03/2018 21:17  

Thanks guys for being so helpful. There’s some good suggestions there for me to try. I’ve got some new textile pants to try instead of my leathers they should be a little more flexible for me

Update Reply
She11 @ 16/03/2018 21:44  

If possible and it's the same bike you regularly go on get some adjustable pegs and try different positions of them can make a world of difference

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/03/2018 21:57  

Thanks big Jaffa a friend just suggested that to me as well. Will definitely have a play about with them

Update Reply
She11 @ 16/03/2018 21:58  

I'm sure you will get it sorted out very soon She11. Hope the suggestions made help.

If I'm going distance 200+ and I'm not feeling brilliant, I take meds about 45mins before setting off. Makes everything feel much easier. (Take some other meds with you for return journey!)

Break down distance runs with short regular stops if necessary. Nothing worse than sitting there in pain n silence. Signal you want to stop n get off n stretch as much as possible. Don't get on again until you feel ready to do so.

Mates will wait for ya or at least give you a waypoint to meet up again. 👍

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 16/03/2018 23:09  

I saw a pillion the other day getting into all sorts of positions getting on and off a bike...had I not known I'd have sworn she was drunk.

Update Reply
Ceetee @ 17/03/2018 09:32  

She11, have you tried VOLTAROL GEL? it's available over the counter at any pharmacy and is really, really effective when applied to the problem areas. It can affect those with Asthma, so worth reading the small print first, but it's excellent for stopping pain altogether for a few hours at least.
Keep a tube in your pocket too, so you can use it for the home ride too.

Also, there is a gel called 'DEEP FREEZE' - it's a painkiller and a coolant, so tends to cool down and reduce pain. Also over the counter from pharmacies and good to keep in your pocket.

May be worth trying?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2018 10:08  

Purplebetty I’ve not tried those, I always thought if they were really any good then my rheumatologist would of prescribed it. I guess it’s worth a try tho. N ceetee haha very funny don’t tell anyone it was me 🙈

Update Reply
She11 @ 17/03/2018 10:20  

She11 some good tips already 👍 for rider and pillion, I have two gel pad inserts in my VFR seat, recommended. Try getting the loan of the external type that are strapped on over the seat.
A pound shop cheap alternative worth a try is a neck cushion, either a polystyrene beads one or an inflatable type 👍
good luck 😊

Update Reply
555byker @ 17/03/2018 10:26  

She11 - it's usually personal choice as to what a doctor prescribes, or sometimes an over counter prep is much cheaper than a prescribed one, so it may be recommended but not given to you by them.

Voltarol i've found works better for me than a prescribed one (Piroxicam) I had. They all have different active ingredients -eg Piroxicam has....piroxicam as it's main ingredient, wheras Voltarol has Diclofenac has as its top one, so I guess it's a matter of finding what works best for you.

Its worth it to me to pay for one that I know works for me in order to be able to ride more comfortably..... I really hope you find what will work for you too.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 17/03/2018 11:40  

She11. Your more than welcome to pop from seat to seat on differnt bikes to see if its a riding position issue.

Much cheaper than diving in and geting adjustable pegs to find out.

If a differnt bike dosnt hurt then you could copy the positions on to the RF. I have also left a non slip seat cover for you at Linz’s

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 18/03/2018 12:16  

Yeah thanks Stuie. I think that will make a massive distance. Thanks everyone for all the tips. Lots for me to try

Update Reply
She11 @ 18/03/2018 16:40  

I have been dubbed the worse pilly ever!!! so i shall refrain from offering advice lol

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 19/03/2018 13:08  

Haha oh dear BJ I’m sure that’s not true

Update Reply
She11 @ 19/03/2018 19:19  

Thanks for the tip Sandi i also have plantar fasciitis and will be checking some out cheers :)

Update Reply
rainbowgirl @ 30/06/2018 14:28  

You're welcome rainbow girl, did they help you?
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Sandi i also have plantar fasciitis and will be checking some out cheers :)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 13/08/2018 21:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email