MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Sleep deprivation

Sleep deprivation - Forums [Biker Match] Sleep deprivation - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Sleep deprivation

I am considering a ride around u.k in aid of my veterans club.the idea is from Runcorn in Cheshire following the coast around the U.K Wales down through Swansea ,Bristol,follow A30/Penzance/Poole,Bournemouth,Weymouth,Dover,up eastAngliastraight up to Hull,Newcastle,then follow up John o’Groats,across the top to Malaig,Fort William,Glasgow,Blackpool,Southport,
Liverpool,then home.has anybody any thoughts?Iam thinking of doing it in a single trip non stop.except for the obvious pit stops I am 67does anyone think it could or shouldn’t be attempted?thoughts please

Update Reply
MalMac @ 26/02/2018 23:27  

When you say non-stop, do you mean in one journey without any overnight breaks? In which case I'd say definitely no.
I've spent a few evenings trying to plot out a similar route, and I've come to the conclusion that you'd need about a fortnight to do it without knackering yourself, and if you can make it three weeks then so much the better. That's assuming you cut the odd corner or two - if you follow every country lane to keep the coast more or less in sight, then it gets a fair bit longer!
If I've read you wrong, then my apologies. Good luck!

Update Reply
Wills @ 26/02/2018 23:45  

I did tour of Mainland 45 years ago with 5 mates All on 50cc mopeds for charity .It took us 4 full weeks ,although we raised a fair bit for the charity it was hard work and just short of 10000 miles ,That is 360 miles a day ,if you are lucky. that made it 8 hours a day on the bikes [averaging 40 mph ] Do not know what you are planning on using to ride but make sure it is comfortable and averaging 40 mph on side and coastal roads is NOT easy.
We all took camping gear ,but had some hostels and hotel and club houses we could stop at and shower and bath and not have to cook our own meals which helped .
The "Iron Man" group at British Legion should be able to help with planning and stop points for you as they arrange the Lands End -John O Groats in under 24 hours runs .
I wish you every success in your attempt Please keep me,and everyone else informed as to your progress. Some of us may be able to join and ride with you for parts of the trip ,if you would like the company [local knowledge can help sometimes lolol]
Hope this is of some help to you

Update Reply
Quietman2 @ 27/02/2018 00:44  

I drive for a living and if you are thinking of doing it in 1 hit just stopping for fuel food and loo breaks the only other stop you will make is A&E. It looks ok when you look at a map but when you add in the fact that you will be on A roads most of the trip so your average speed will be in the 50s at best it will end very badly. Sorry if I sound negative but just spread it over a week

Update Reply
JP @ 27/02/2018 02:32  

All respect to you for even considering this but please don't attempt doing it .without taking advice from others who arrange, and support, this kind of thing. Also take seek medical advice, I know that sounds lame but better to be safe than sorry. As QM suggested above speak to the guys who organise the Lands End -John O Groats run.

As also said above perhaps post your route, so that you can have some company along the way (even if is only at fuel/food stops). I am sure there would be plenty of support for you and folk wishing to help you along the way.

You will raise much more money for your chosen charity if you successfully complete this ride and are in one piece at the end of it.

Best of luck! 👍😀

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 27/02/2018 08:09  

Fourth day, five day marathon. We're moving like a parallelogram. You need to talk to Lemmy's pharmacist. :-)
Plenty of people here with spare beds at suitable points on your journey if you want to take it slower and survive.

Update Reply
Eiron @ 27/02/2018 08:23  

I say go for it, I do recommend sleep/overnight breaks though definitely! I second Quiet Man's post for his advice on speaking with the Ironman group. Best of luck! There's nothing holding you back and please keep us updated 😀

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/02/2018 10:41  

I've vaguely toyed with the idea of a stripped-down version, touching base at the four extremes of the British mainland. That's Lizard Point (south), Lowestoft (east), Dunnet Head (north) and Ardnamurchan Point (west). Even using motorways to the maximum, it's just over 2,000 miles. That's still a lot to manage in one trip, especially when Scottish A-roads are taken into account. I'd be looking at five days absolute minimum.

Update Reply
Wills @ 27/02/2018 11:35  

It is a cracking idea but as mentioned there will be some serious miles involved if you plan to follow the coast. You plan is far more hardcore than lejog.
I would suggest some serious mapping and googling the roads first, I'd be amazed if you can average more than a couple of hundred miles a day. Viewranger is your friend for this.
Why not do a few test runs first to give yourself a better idea of what will be involved.
As regards age it's just a number, provided your healthy that shouldn't be an issue. After all you're riding the bike not pushing it.
Could be expensive though unless you plan to sleep on park benches and under bridges!
Keep us all informed, you might be able to get some company on some stretches or somewhere to sleep.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 27/02/2018 20:31  

I used to be a long distance motorcycle courier.

With the right bike you can just about manage 1500 miles in 24 hours. To do that you need to be fit and strong, you need pain killers a large capacity comfortable bike with a Huge fuel tank. I'd recommend at least 35-40 litres or you simply won't make it around Scotland or Cornwall after dark.

However. A coastal run is going to be many times more than 1500miles.

I found the most miles you can do day in day out is about 600-700 miles a day, and that's with breaks, you have to sleep. You can not do more than 24 hours with out sleep. Even the army run to that rule.

600-700 miles a day for 6-7 days and your done you will need. A rest day.

I did this for nearly 10years between the age of 30 and 40. After that I went short cuircit and the odd distance.

I personally would plumb at 300-400 miles a day with a 10-12 hour rest ever day or your going to wind up in hospital. And even then your looking at riding hard. Properly something along the lines of 45mph ave speed. That might sound slow but try it on a mix of coastal road is going to be almost impossible unless you really get a real had push on.

Then there's the law to consider. Look up driver duty hours which not only apply to taco enforced drivers but private drivers as well. Have an accident whilst in breach of this then your unfit to drive.

Just food for thought. But personally I'd love to give it a go but not non stop.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/02/2018 21:05  

Plans are off the insurance couldn’t cover me due to my medical past being medically discharged from the army due to a broken neck in 1993 after 22.5yrs.But that was the biggest part of the challenge.I am very grateful to all of you for the Input.all that I wanted to do is put back into the system something that I’ve had out of it.So people it’s going back to the drawing board maybe later in the year -start of next year.I was hoping for this year it being the 100th anniversary of the armistice.I thought it would be nice for my veterans club and RBL. If any of you can come up with any ideas they would all be seriously considered.Thanks again folks.Ride safe MalMac

Update Reply
MalMac @ 01/06/2018 23:27  

Ah bless ta Mailmac I think it's awesome what you wanted to do. Hopefully some peeps will come up with goid ideas...... I need to get me inspiration hat on x

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/06/2018 21:23  

Mailmac, a cool idea, reality can be tough and all the advice is very well founded. Having said that, l did 17 countries in 2013 involving seven ferries, camping 3-4 nights a week with hotels in between, didnt book anything and was on the road for six weeks = 6000+miles...so it can be done...

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2018 08:17  

How about something done in 24 hours? Sponsored..... Just throwing some thoughts 😊

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/06/2018 14:48  

Maybe point to point.

So pick some focal points, around the route. Visit one or maybe more, then back to home base. Setting off again, at a later date, to do more points.

Get a postcard and send home (to me) for recording your travels 🤔🤔

Update Reply
yorkie mick @ 03/06/2018 20:53  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email