MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Suggestions Needed

Suggestions Needed - Forums [Biker Match] Suggestions Needed - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Suggestions Needed

Hi, I am doing some research into strange pub names and the history behind them. If you know of a pub that fits the bill, they can be anywhere in the UK, Please feel free to enlighten me! :)
Many thanks

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/01/2018 13:35  

Not exactly a strange pub name but a pub I used to run with my ex in Headington Oxford, had a bit of a quirk. The pub was called the Bell and the sign outside the front had two completely different images of a bell on either side, something I had never come across before or since.. I never did find out if there was reason for it before we moved on to pastures new.

Update Reply
Double six @ 02/01/2018 13:53  

I was going to suggest a Pub that was actually called "The House with No Name", that was in Easthorpe in Essex.
But I googled and its now closed :(

So D6s post jogged a memory, and I can propose "The Old Bell and Steelyard", in Woodbridge, Suffolk.
New website is under construction, but Googles cache came up with this history link:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G5k_zRusY4sJ:www.yeoldebellandsteelyard.co.uk/history+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-b

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/01/2018 14:02  

Another pub I had dealings with was The Pluto in Corby. It was a reference to the pipeline which runs or ran across the Atlantic from Britain to the US and I was told by locals parts of it were produced in Corby. Pluto being an accronym for....Pipe. Line. Under. The. Ocean.
One gory fact about the pub. It was said to have been haunted by the ghost of a small boy who fell into the hole when the foundations for the building were being dug out. I didn't witness the ghost myself but he was supposed to appeared in the cellar.
Another that I pass from time to time when out and about with work is......My Fathers Moustache in Louth, Lincs.

Update Reply
Double six @ 02/01/2018 14:41  

The Anchor pub in Salterforth is (not too sure of the dates ... but..) a 17th pub built after the canal was dug, straight on top of the 16th pub that was buried and partially flooded during the dig. The remains of the original cellar can be seen (flooded) as does the 16th century front door, that opens on to a 16th century road!!!

Update Reply
floydthebiker @ 02/01/2018 15:29  

Another one for you!! The Jug and Bottle near Grimsby is built on a dipersal pan of RAF Waltham (possibly 100 sqn ID letters HW or FZ). Lancaster J used to be parked there and was named Jug and Bottle by the crew! Inside the pub are pictures of said aircraft!

Update Reply
floydthebiker @ 02/01/2018 15:46  

Thanks guys keep them coming please! ;) Catkins, I'm thinking of writing a book about UK pubs with an interesting history behind the names 😁 of course I will have to visit them all for research purposes..... lol

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/01/2018 17:44  

The Quiet Woman at Earl Sterndale in the Peak District probably qualifies as strange. Reputedly she was the landlord's wife who nagged so much he removed her head. The pub sign shows her continuing to serve which is illegal under 21st century British weights and measures laws which require the beer to have less head than the staff serving it. Of course, she may be serving spirits only.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/01/2018 19:20  

More along the theme of unusual women... The Silent woman

http://www.thesilentwoman.co.uk

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/01/2018 19:52  

The Cat And Custard Pot,Shipton Moyne,Nr.Malmesbury....has double-sided sign,both completely different images...name is weird enough,methinks...and there are at least 2 other u.k. pubs called this..co-incidence??
http://www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk/AllGlosPubsDatabase/RAIGConnection.php?pubid1=1972

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 02/01/2018 20:56  

There was(is?) a pub in the village of bishops cannings in Wiltshire called the "moonrakers"-so called because the smugglers used to throw their loot in the pond to hide it from the excise men.
If they were caught trying to recover the loot they told the excise men that they were trying to rake the moon(its reflection)from the pond!
The excise men would then just think they were simple bumpkins!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 02/01/2018 21:00  

Snooty Fox...Trouble House,both Tetbury Locale...
The Crooked House,Himley,Staffordshire,has to be the wierdest pub i ever visited, got a picture on my 'out and about' pictures somewhere...

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 02/01/2018 21:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email