MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Technical Motorbike Help

Starting Problems

Starting Problems - Forums [Biker Match] Starting Problems - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Technical Motorbike Help /

Starting Problems

Hi everyone,
Thought I would share and see if anyone has any ideas or remedies.
My KTM RC8R has been a slow starter the last week or so..
Usually when cold, I push the starter, hear the relay click in and the starter motor tries turn the engine but not enough to even think about starting (it started as just enough to kick it into life...)
Once started it is charging itself well and being warmer I can park up, go shopping and it starts on the button. When kept in the garage it is on an Oxford charger etc. I took battery off, had it tested and told it was good (showing 240 CCA)
However put it back in bike and it wouldn't start so in brain wave I took out the fuse to kill the lights and hey presto it started!! But fuse back in (good job I have spare key to lock seat down!) off I went stopping and starting no problem... Next morning.. same problem!
Phew that was long winded!
Anyhow can someone confirm that despite battery seeming to be good, it is not holding enough charge to cold start a big V-twin, or perhaps there is something else I can check??
Any suggestions welcome!!
Thanks

Update Reply
RC8R @ 21/11/2017 21:21  

I know what it is fella!!!! It's my electrical Gremlins... They've jumped to your bike! 😉

Update Reply
Babyblade1 @ 21/11/2017 21:25  

Hahaha Hiya Babyblade
Just poor quality Yuasa batteries and a big old V-twin I think!
I tried push starting a few times... waste of time - just wore out the back tire skidding and killed myself trying to get up to speed!

Update Reply
RC8R @ 21/11/2017 21:31  

You go steady with that bump starting!! I'd have no chance being a shortarse! 😄

Update Reply
Babyblade1 @ 21/11/2017 21:41  

you could push while I sit on it!

Update Reply
RC8R @ 21/11/2017 21:52  

hi there rc have you got any added extras such as heated grips external usb sockets alarm or similar that can remain live after ignition is off.....

Update Reply
nellie @ 22/11/2017 07:04  

Try another battery then if it does the same you will know its something other than the battery.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 22/11/2017 08:35  

Hi Yarg
I have an alarm and separate tracker but they are completely dormant unless manually switched on.. As tracker is independent to battery. Only spare battery I have is an old one which was replaced. But I could try scrounging one to test needs a high CCA though.

Update Reply
RC8R @ 22/11/2017 10:13  

Hi RC8R
How old is the bike? It could be the starter motor itself, a build up of carbon on the contacts. If ya can access it, try a few gentle taps on the starter, if improves the starting, you'll need another starter very soon as its a temporary fix. If that don't work, I haven't got a clue, bike electrics are a dark art. Good luck

Update Reply
floydthebiker @ 22/11/2017 13:30  

Hi all RC8R again
Firstly sorry to Nellie for not thanking him for his advice... I lumped my reply in one and reply in with response to Yarg.. oops!
Second, Thanks Floyd... The starter is on top of the engine, between the pistons, under the airbox / tank, behind brackets.... I think you get picture!!
I am coming to the conclusion that the battery is struggling and a small lay up... Which brings me to my next question...
The recommended battery is Yuasa as it has 230 CCA. Obviously the bike needs the extra oomph... My ask is... Does anyone have experience with the Lithium Ion replacements.. the cost isn't much different, They are 2kg lighter (more doughnuts for me! :) ) and the CCA is 290.. So should start easier....
I know they need a special charger.. but you can boost charge them..
I would like peoples thoughts...
Cheers

Update Reply
RC8R @ 22/11/2017 18:49  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email