MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Motorcycle News

Bridge Toll Scrapped (Soton)

Bridge Toll Scrapped (Soton) - Forums [Biker Match] Bridge Toll Scrapped (Soton) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Motorcycle News /

Bridge Toll Scrapped (Soton)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p> The 20 pence toll for motorcyclists to use the Itchen Toll Bridge in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Southampton</st1:place> is to be scrapped, says an article in the Southern Daily Echo.The U-turn means bikers will no longer hold up traffic on the bridge, as they fumble for change while waiting at the toll booth.Axing the charge, which has been in place since 1991, would cost the council about £20,000 a year in lost income, as almost 100,000 motorcycles crossed the bridge last year.It follows lobbying by the Southampton (Soton) Motorcycle Action Group, which said that it would help end queues on the bridge and keep traffic flowing more freely.<o:p></o:p>

Update Reply
Sandi @ 08/12/2007 19:55  

WOO HOO!!! Thats great news!!!

Update Reply
wiccan-one @ 08/12/2007 20:34  

Today Southampton...Tomorrow the world!.....well the M6 toll, QE2 bridge,Severn crossing.......

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 09/12/2007 00:20  

LOL!!! It was built about 30 years ago... and was only supposed to charge tolls to recoup the building costs... but Local Authorities being what they are decided to keep the charges going so it must have paid for itself a few times over by now!!

Update Reply
wiccan-one @ 09/12/2007 06:30  

it was opened in 1977 and the cost was recouped by 2000, so to raise more money they re mortgaged the bridge, upped the toll charges to pay for it!! and yes you can re morgage a bridge. also the toll for M/Cs will not be scrapped till next year, more than likely April

Update Reply
Mr Shaggy @ 09/12/2007 07:21  

Thanks for the update Mr Shaggy, my report didn't give a date. April aint so far away, 2008 is only just over 2 weeks away

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/12/2007 07:33  

erm..that should say 3 not 2

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/12/2007 07:35  

The way to stop toll charges for motorcyclists over bridges is for every biker to stop at the toll booth take off their gloves rummage in their pockets for money then tender a pound coin, (I was going to say a fiver but that would mean wallets and purses he, he, he) put the change back in your pocket and put your gloves back on. See how long the queue behind gets before someone sounds a horn. lol

Update Reply
Steve55 @ 09/12/2007 13:43  

Steve you must have been there when Kenn and I crossed that toll bridge the other week...

Update Reply
bikerchick1966 @ 09/12/2007 16:56  

I thought that the Seven bridge was already free for motorcycles.

Those that are currently free are (a) the Swinford bridge over the Thames at/near Eynsham, (b) the whole of the London Congestion Charge area, (c) and another one I can't remember at the moment.

Richard

Update Reply
Berks_Biker @ 23/01/2008 10:29  

The QE2 bridge and the Dartford tunnels are already free for bikes and have been for a few years.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 23/01/2008 18:24  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email