MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

NEW FEATURE: Change username

NEW FEATURE: Change username (2) - Forums [Biker Match] NEW FEATURE: Change username (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

NEW FEATURE: Change username

I have to say i disagree with this option strongly.
As somebody involved in organising many events, including the KISS Rally where having exact information on attendees names is crucial for insurance purposes, this just makes life a whole lot more complicated. This will certainly impact on my decision to organise any large events, its bloody hard work to keep track of names and numbers already without having to now check you have not counted somebody twice or three times depending on how many times they have decided to have an alter ego !!
It is also open to abuse.
Having been a member since 2009 and a mod for a large part of that, changing username has never been a main request from folks.
Why has this suddenly become an issue now?

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 03/08/2017 08:53  

Bob knows best

Update Reply
JP @ 03/08/2017 08:58  

I'll always be AJ VFR800AJ

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 03/08/2017 09:53  

Jackie

That's because people select "Accounts" on the contact page when they want to change their name. It comes to me, not moderators.

It happens maybe once per 2 weeks, so not often. But I also like the ability to change my name on a website and I see no reason to not allow it on BM.

The only things that we need a solution for are...

1) People abusing the option. Solution = Make it one change per year max.

2) People signing up for events where the event organiser registered visitors by username.

For number 2 I need to have a think about it. I also need to understand HOW you are registering. Do you just print from the attendees list? Do you write it in a spreadsheet? If you can give me an example of how this is a problem then I can come up with a solution.
And does it only affect events you organise that require tickets to be paid for?

To be honest I don't even expect this feature to be used much at all! Folks pick a name they like to begin with and usually don't want to lose their username by changing, even temporarily, to something else (hence I'm quickly changing back to Matt before someone steals it lol)

Update Reply
Matt @ 03/08/2017 13:45  

There are already a few looking into how much trouble they can cause with this new option. You can work out who they will be by looking at the ones that keep changing there profile pic knowing the 1 they use will have to be removed by the mods.

Update Reply
JP @ 03/08/2017 16:53  

I vote for one change a year. Though why you should need to I don't know.x

Update Reply
Kitten @ 03/08/2017 17:10  

Matt I've click on the link and all I'm getting is an error page come up and that's on my laptop and phone.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 03/08/2017 17:42  

Any event where it is required to know numbers is going to be affected.
We use spreadsheets as its the practicle option.
Some events have had maximum numbers so knowing names is important. Pretty sure i havent met everybody, so if somebody arrives says i'm Joe Bloggs and i say, sorry not on the list, oh i used to be Jim Smith how do i know its true!!!! I dont want to spend time back referencing names, usually run off my feet as it is.
From an organisers point of view it certainly could cause problems.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 03/08/2017 18:10  

JP, I change my profile pic occasionally as the mood takes me. Does that mean I'm looking for trouble?! My profile pics remained the same as previous (GBNP). Sorry but I don't understand your reasoning on this one.

I can understand that it may get a tad confusing with regards to events but if the roll count and names are finalised the day before the event then surely you will have a full, complete, precise list. Obviously I realise that some events have limited space and this cannot be expanded but as the number of prospective attendees is shown on the event, it's fairly easy to work out how many spaces you do/don't have left. The only issue would be guest names/numbers but we post numbers on the thread, if I remember rightly?

Or am I being simple?

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 03/08/2017 20:15  

Its not always possible to print stuff day before, maybe already at venue or busy sorting last minute stuff.
As for numbers not changing you are correct, but lets use previous Hallowistmas parties as an example 100 folk max, list of names at door, people arrive, whats your name, john smith, sorry names not on the list, oh i was called jim jones until this morning, if i dont know them what do i do?
As for jps profile pic comments i think he is referring to those who change their pics to objects, cartoons etc
I just think its causing extra hassle for organisers of events and its hard work getting folk to volunteer already

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 03/08/2017 22:05  

Matt its prob not used much as folk have to ask and explain, if its tip of the finger its less hassle

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 03/08/2017 22:10  

I think we can come to a constructive solution if we bang our heads together, without sabotaging an entire function of the website for the tiny number of people who might change their username the day before an event.

Let's say you print a list out 2 days before an event... what's the chance one of those on the list will change their name in them 2 days? Tiny! Most people want to keep the same name always.

Also, if I was going to an event and I was asked at the door for my username... if I'd just changed it I'd say "Yesterday I was Matt, but this morning I changed to Bob. Not sure which name you have on your list but could you check both please?"

This will probably not even happen once per year, so can we please keep it all a bit proportional folks?

Another idea...
1) Folks can change their username max 1 time per year. This is easy for me.

2) After changing username, the old username could be shown in brackets after their new name for, say, 3 months. Little more complex to setup, but it's do-able.

Update Reply
Matt @ 03/08/2017 23:29  

Ragnar, I fixed the link. There was a little mistake with it

Bookmark it also... https://beta.bikermatch.co.uk

Update Reply
Matt @ 03/08/2017 23:31  

Lindsay don't understand your comment I said members who change there pic knowing that mods will have to remove it. If you change your pic to another that complys with site rules there is no reason for it to need changing by mods. 

Update Reply
JP @ 04/08/2017 05:10  

Boss Man

Whether you allow random name changes or only once a year, the person organising the event will still need to check the 'final list' name by name to see if anybody has changed their username as they would not have been notified of any changes.

Maybe i am not explaining myself very well

Also, what procedure will be in place to stop anybody changing their name to something inappropriate, for example an email address, phone number or swear word?

Not sabotaging, just trying to flag up potential issues before it goes live.

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 04/08/2017 09:39  

I frequently change my profile picture,just can't find one that fits all my moodswings,but would never consider changing my user name,people have been calling me Jinx for 40-odd years,don't usually react if someone shouts my christian name,unless it's late at night,and we're both in the same darkened room........ i think people intent on mischief will abuse it ,solely my humble opinion....wonder if "Invisible Man" is already taken...hmmm

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 04/08/2017 15:16  

AND...did you know that AARDVARK is still unused....

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 04/08/2017 15:19  

Thanks Matt, still couldn't change my name because of an impostor using the my name, that's why I added the No 1 in the first place

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 04/08/2017 18:10  

I think it should be given a chance but if it causes any problems report it and then put a stop to it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 04/08/2017 19:14  

Ragnar - you can change your name now. The other guy hasn't been online since 2010 so I renamed him to Ragnar no 2.

Jackie - If someone changes their name, I'll make it put them into the moderator's queue to be checked just like if they update their profile.
If you like, I could maybe make a part of the site for events admins where you can add members who have paid for a ticket. Like a clearer attendance list which also exports their real name, email address etc from the database. Then it will link to their ID so if they change their name you'll still have the correct one when you print the list at the start of the event.
Maybe you can send me an example of what it is you currently use so I can understand the problem a bit better

Update Reply
Matt @ 04/08/2017 19:16  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email