MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Bikes, Products & Services

Helmets..Your Opinion, Please?

Helmets..Your Opinion, Please? (2) - Forums [Biker Match] Helmets..Your Opinion, Please? (2) - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Bikes, Products & Services /

Helmets..Your Opinion, Please?

told u already BMW 120 QUID ALLAN JEFFRIES wrote in big letters seeing as u are deaf i might take u when ive fixed your lads busa So ya did FMOH, I forgot oops lol, no need to SHOUT tho I aint blind. You 'MIGHT' take me to the BMW shop? Well don't strain yaself wil ya? lol ========== I quite like those flip lids, mentioned before, but I'm a bit wary of their reliability on impact. Maybe if I spend a bit more I'll get a quieter lid I guess it's a case of trial and error as everyone differs in their opinion on what is a quiet lid, it's a shame that we can't try lids out, for quietness, before we part with our dosh. Thanks everyone for your advice and opinion

Update Reply
Sandi @ 16/11/2007 17:37  

one more thing.You must keep your helmet clean!!!

Update Reply
Oggy @ 16/11/2007 18:01  

All jokes aside I've found Kraft lids pretty good on situp&beg bikes,not quite as good as a Simpson but good value for money. shoei's or arai's are good on a sports bike.Depends on a lot of factor's really,just have to find the best one for you

Update Reply
Oggy @ 16/11/2007 18:08  

so what are you trying to say oggy ??? you havent found a helmet that you like as yet ....... i know you said you like lots of diffrant helmets but never thought you were like that

Update Reply
firebladekid @ 17/11/2007 11:50  

I've owned three Simpsons and found them to be bloody useless as road helmets. They were all by far and away the noisiest lids I've ever tried on and the quality of the visor mechs was pitiful. Simpson only make one ECER22-05 road legal helmet, and it sosts a fortune.

Kraft lids are heavy as hell, same goes for Roofs. BMW helmets are made by Schuberth and if it's 120 quid from BMW then a similar Schuberth will be half the price.

If you want quality at a decent price then look at Shoei Raid 2s and Arai Condors.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 17/11/2007 12:01  

I've had my Caberg JT+ over three years now, used daily and still fits well and i find the flip front a godsend. I also have a craft carbon fiber jobbie in chrome with a mirrored visor, thats still a good snug fit after two years and the fit and finish is good. Also have another caberg but im buggered which one it is, only got it because its light, airy and came in matt black with a white stripe. I dont have an arai or shoei shaped head and the ammount of trouble my mate has had with his arais i wint be buying one anytime soon (try visors coming off, vents breaking and a chin strap breaking for starters, he is an advanced rider and really looks after his kit. If thats what £500 got him then more fool him!)

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 17/11/2007 12:15  

There's no such thing as an Arai or Shoei shaped head, it's all a myth. Both manufacturers have different shaped liners to cope with a variety of head shapes. I can't fit the more expensive Shoeis or Arais, but the Raid 2 and Condor fit perfect.

I don't for a minute believe that any Arai has broken its chinstrap, it's unheard of. Arai test all their straps to 5 times what the legal requirement is. Their visor mechanism takes some getting used to when swopping them, and if you're hamfisted they can fall off. Vents do break, but no more than any other helmets, and at least you can buy new ones at reasonable cost, unlike Caberg or many other makes. Anything that sticks out of a helmet's normal shape will be prone to damage, so you can't bleat about that one. My tip is to treat it nicely when it's NOT being worn, cos that's when most damage occurs.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 17/11/2007 12:35  

It broke the chinstrap after being sent for painting i have found out.....comment ammended and withdrawn daytona man!.....turns out the company that painted it REMOVED the rivets! You would think that people would have more sense than that! To thier credit Arai apparently replaced the lid FOC as a goodwill gesture. I will go and try an arai at the bike show now and see if i can get linings to suit me.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 17/11/2007 15:33  

Why the hell would they remove the rivets? The chinstrap rivets on all Arais are hidden behind the sidepods, you'll never see them and all you'd need to do is mask off the straps.

There are some muppets out there.

Update Reply
Daytona_man @ 17/11/2007 16:10  

i had a shoei lid when i was couriering in london best lid i ever used and even managed to make it lat 2 years before i had to replace it (poxy pedrestrions) would recommend shoei to anyone

Update Reply
gsrider @ 17/11/2007 16:29  

Aparently the company stripped the lids down to bare shells (Muppets don't quite do them justice!) and then rebuilt them after painting. Quite unbelievable! I used to see Andy Beazley (formerly of Splat design) quite a lot at the old bike shop (Cross street kawasaki) Now that was a man that could paint a helmet! I remember seeing one he had just finished for Matt Lewellyn (?) a tigers head, i swear you could see every hair! He also did a good one for a customer who took a polaroid of a dirty young lady at an isle of man "gentlemans evening".......i could almost smell it! I beleive Andy went on to become a rep for Arai.

Update Reply
ghosthunter @ 17/11/2007 16:30  

Never had a problem with a Simpson lid like that & theres always earplugs.Cant say my Kraft is light but its not that heavy either,about the same weight as my Shoei.& who said any of my simpsons were road legal?

Update Reply
Oggy @ 17/11/2007 16:49  

I'm not resurrecting this just for the sake of it, thought it best to put my further comment in here rather than start another thread. I wore some (gardening) safety goggles recently and the NOISE in my helmet was reduced, how weird is that?! Can anyone explain it?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 09/03/2008 21:16  

Obvious really Kwak,you must have slowed down [less revs,less noise] to get round the ornamental pond,the flower beds,and avoided running over the geraniums!

Update Reply
iggypup @ 10/03/2008 06:53  

I hate having to wear a helmet - it messes my hair up.

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/03/2008 09:49  

I nearly choked I laughed so much when reading iggypup's post, whatrya like ya nana?! Geoff, what do you use to keep your hair looking so smooth, WD40?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 10/03/2008 13:33  

Kwak - try Googling "Windjammer Helmet" It's a sort of draught excluder for a full face helmet (Should add I can't personally endorse this - I haven't tried it) Also try different combinations of open and closed vents if your helmet has them top, sides and chin (fairly normal arrangement) Most noise in a bike helmet is caused by turbulence mainly around the open base of the helmet or possibly even through the venting Not much of a physicist, but the glasses may have broken up turbulence in between the visor and your face (I'm sure someone can either support this theory or shoot it down in flames lol)

Update Reply
stueylewie @ 10/03/2008 15:33  

Tender loving care Kwak, tender loving care. (And a good set of clippers)

Update Reply
geoffb2005 @ 10/03/2008 20:06  

Cheers Stu, I'll have a look at that. Yea I've closed off the vents, there's a big one at the front, when the visor is up lol I dunno why the glasses helped but I'll be wearing them every time from now on. Geoff I thought you were offering me some TLC there lol oh well back to the drawing board

Update Reply
Sandi @ 11/03/2008 09:22  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email