MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

What Did You Do?

What Did You Do? - Forums [Biker Match] What Did You Do? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

What Did You Do?

On Saturday?

I have been travelling a lot lately, and have had three weeks away with only two days home in between. Dubai was cloudy and then warm, and Amsterdam just cold and wet as is usual, so Saturday being forecast as cloudy but dry sent all the 'ride me' signals from bike to brain.

I had to wait for a virgin to visit first, unfortunately this is the type that bring routers to fix dodgy broadband, rather than the vestral version that could appeal in my current relationship status. I digress, so waiting for the visit, I phoned the KTM Centre in Hemel to see if I could test drive a 1050, as it being an outgoing model there are some bargains to be had and I fancy a second bike.

The first bike is a 2016 Harley Street Glide. When she-who-will-one-day-be my-former-wife told me our marriage was at an end, I cashed in an ISA and went to the US to ride Route 66. It seemed a good idea at the time, and boy did it turn out to be one of the best ideas I had had. On that trip I had the Harley Ultra, and loved it enough that when I got home I decided to cut my losses with my GS (2015 piece of shit) and go back to a Harley. I liked the Ultra, but preferred the Street Glide, and so I took delivery at the end of October, in time for the winter and non-riding season.

I have only managed 800 miles on it over the winter, but a few more will hit the clock in 2017, with the RBL1000, probably the National Rally and riding to Milan and back for a work trip planned. I laso have a 60 mile trip to work, and while I love riding the Harley, servicing and tyres are eye wateringly expensive, so I am looking for something to share the load, and occasionally have an alternative blast on. Hence the kTM enquiry.

When the virgin had gone I set off for rural Oxfordshire. I have a regular route that takes me from bike shop to bike shop, as most round here have some form of coffee expending process, much of it free to 'customers'. My fisrt planned stop was Hughenden M40 to see if they have any Tiger 800's worth looking at, the new bobber and the cafe. next would be Blade Honda at Abingdon to look at the Africa Twin, then Harley Oxford as it would be a shame not to, work over to On Yer Bike outside of Aylesbury then home again.

The roads were busy with the usual collection of bimblers, cyclists hunting in packs, and horse boxes. If you haven't ridden a Harley it is likely you have aset view, but despite being a big bus, the Street has a good turn of speed and is nimble enough to make country lanes a lot of fun. It's no Fireblade, and you do have to ride the things with road reading and input, and when I was stuck behind something I had Sean Rowe serenading me through the speakers keeping me calm until the gap opened up and I could power smoothly by.

All was good with the world,and Hughenden came up with the prospect of coffee, bikes and maybe a bacon roll. Pleanty of bikes to look at and I spoke to a lady who had just test ridden the Bobber and was about to buy. She loved it and looking at the way she rode in to the dealership, it must have a turn of speed and handle well enough to satisfy the hooligan instinct. I love the way it looks, but with owning the Harley I don't want a second similar bike.

They did have three Tigers worth looking at. I like the look of these bikes and with so many around there are plenty of low mileage late bikes very keenly priced. They also tend to come with plenty of extras you don't get on new bikes, more so because Triumph have had so many promotions offering kit that finding a standard Triumph is tough for any model. Contemplating arranging a ride, my phone went and KTM had a bike ready for me.

It was now pushing 2pm, and I did want to test the KTM, so I put me hat on, switched on the tunes and headed for Hemel Hempstead. Just after 3.30, I was out on the KTM.

With 95bhp, it didn't promise to be the most powerful of bikes, but the power delivery is very linear with no spikes or dips, and you can hustle along at a pace. It doesn't give you that rush of a Ducati, GS or Aprillia, but the speed is decent. Under hard acceleration I found the rev limiter, big bright red lights screaming out from the dash, but I was pushing it somewhat. I have to remember what I am looking for, and forgive the bike for being what it is, a good all rounder.

It is comfortable, the engine modes are easy to change and seem to make a difference to the power delivery. On the motorway it was great with the screen steering the wind over my head and it will be a joy to filter fast. As an entry level adventure bike, or bike for less confident riders not wanting monster power, it makes a lot of sense, but at full list of £11k+ there are bikes that are just as good but 2-3k less. However, the dealer has a pre-reg bike up for £8300 which is tempting if I can haggle some extras. I will still try the Triumph and Honda,as much of the joy of new bikes is in the testing and trialing, before the haggling begins. Mind you, if KTM make me an offer I can't refuse then I may just go for it.

Back home my day was made to find England leading the sweaties 30-7, and a great second half resulting in a very good win, and the championship wrapped up.

So that was my Saturday with some extras thrown in. I have 5 more days at home then its off to China for a week, so little will happen on the bike front before April.

What did you do?

Update Reply
Jim2463 @ 12/03/2017 12:18  

Well I didn't do anything half as exciting as yourself Jim. I could do with a translator for the technical jargon but apart from that I was on the ride with you lol.
Do let us know which bike you decide to get, and how it performs long term.
Safe travels.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 25/03/2017 03:19  

Nodded off....

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 26/03/2017 09:55  

Nice read. Thanks for posting, and keep us informed, eh?

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 26/03/2017 15:31  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email