MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

BM Website Issues/Help Requests

Proper English...?

Proper English...? - Forums [Biker Match] Proper English...? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / BM Website Issues/Help Requests /

Proper English...?

Many times lately, when adding to the forums content,i've been struck by how many times the system tries to tell me i've spelt something erroneously...can Matt tell us if the settings are for 'English' English or 'American' English,as i have many reservations about our wonderful Language becoming too 'dumbed down' as it is..??

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 25/12/2016 22:02  

I suspect it's US English Jinx.

However there are a few on here who are unable to even use any form of English unless it's baby talk to text type!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/12/2016 19:02  

That's a bit harsh Stuie.

Update Reply
feistygirl @ 26/12/2016 19:18  

But true.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/12/2016 19:34  

Must admit I tend to use abbreviations when typing these days :-/ ....but does boggle my brain when reading some of the text talk....I've had times when I've had to read things 2 or 3 times and still none the wiser hahaha

Update Reply
Rose67 @ 26/12/2016 21:01  

lol(irony)...

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 26/12/2016 21:33  

Each to their own I say

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/12/2016 23:50  

Some ov us was hedumacated.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2016 09:16  

Dyslexia Lures K.O.! :0>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 27/12/2016 09:44  

This is not to the pw (post writer)
There is nothing wrong wi shortening down words. We don't come on here for educational purposes so if someone writes in a way u don't like then don't chat to them. I personally don't care how a person writes and have a live n let live or each to their own attitude to it : )

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2016 13:41  

In a text message via a mobile/ cell phone, or even in chat room, then yes text speak is fine, in MHO. (that's an acronym not text speak)
In the forums and private messages I prefer the full version.
I don't care if a person cannot spell as long as what they type is understandable.
If I don't understand I will ask. :-)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 28/12/2016 06:40  

May I point out, before anyone else does, that Stuie himself struggles on occasions with spellings, as he will openly admit. However, you don't need to be a codebreaker to read and understand his posts, unlike posts from some members that I gloss over, as I no longer have the time (or desire) to decipher them. Sorry but that's the truth.  

Personally I often use acronyms and abbreviations and frequently type as I speak, reet proper Yorkshire like.

Whilst I realise that our language is ever evolving/growing we should remember, as Jinx quite rightly points out, we write/type English not some version of it from the USA.

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 28/12/2016 09:26  

If we all spelt as we spoke, different accents and word meanings, slang etc, then nobody would understand anything so just do your best, we,ll muddle through no problem.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/12/2016 09:52  

i always talk proper english, its just other people dont understand me

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/12/2016 00:13  

Personally speaking I love it when peeps type the way they talk, text speak or not I usually look past the typos etc and I know what they are trying to say.
I got some Jamaican friends in London who all text their 'patois' to me and also some US mates who text their own lingo, I understand it perfectly ( but maybe that's just moi)
If you don't understand people don't communicate with them .... easy!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/12/2016 01:01  

Biggest problem isn't abrivitations it's the whole post written in text talk with no punctuation.

More often than not looks more like a block of computer code than English.

Adding your accent to a post isn't a problem either.

Just my take on it. Mind you it doesn't help being dyslexic.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 30/12/2016 01:49  

I wish i could speal.

Update Reply
Fireblade918rrx @ 30/12/2016 13:18  

aye but im a wiganer so I cant speak propa English let alone write it haha

Update Reply
the vtwin twin @ 30/12/2016 13:36  

The twenty five letter alphabet that the yoof, and radio stations etc that cater for that drives me insane.

eg.....par*y ta**00 su'un (Where I live Sutton) etc

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 10/01/2017 05:43  

I wasn't going to put anything for this, but, hey ho what the heck. I don't like incorrect punctuation, bad spelling etc, (comes with a job which includes proof-reading) but saying that its my OCD problem to deal with not the person writing. There are people on here with dyslexia and some that write as they speak and you know what, so what. At least they are posting. Be who you are and don't worry about owt else :-)

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 10/01/2017 12:40  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email