MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

Newbies Forum

Hello! Help with etiquette please.

Hello! Help with etiquette please. - Forums [Biker Match] Hello! Help with etiquette please. - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / Newbies Forum /

Hello! Help with etiquette please.

Hi Fellow Bikers,
I have been lurking on here for a long while, I find it a bit scary when girls message me out of the blue...

Can anyone tell me if the girl gets a notification when I:
a) Look at her profile?
b) Favourite her?

I'm happy to browse through profiles, favourite those I like and then hide, because I'm not sure I want to get into a relationship...

It feels rude to ignore a nod or a message, but how do I politely indicate that the girl's not my type?

Or I may be barking completely up the wrong tree - I'm happy to say hello and chat with anyone, but I'm really not sure I want a relationship...

Advice please?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/12/2016 18:23  

Just be honest the worst you can get is a slaped face.

Update Reply
JP @ 14/12/2016 18:54  

Just have a friendly chat, its difficult to judge the real personality from pics, you may get some spark you may not but it doesn't really matter, its just nice to have contact with somebody. Good luck.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/12/2016 19:10  

Hi Cook1e
Brave post, thanks for the opportunity to respond. One thing I would say is that we are all different so I can only comment from my perspective. My thoughts:
- we are here for all sorts of reasons, not everyone is looking for a relationship. A proper read of a profile will hopefully give an indication
- I'm still getting to grips with nods. In my mind I've now decided a nod is the same as a nod out on the road would be. If someone nods at me, I will now nod back. But I admit I haven't always done that as I didn't really know what to do to start with
- I would always respond to a message, honestly. I make it clear that I'm not in the market for a relationship at the moment, but am really enjoying chatting to people. I tend to assume people are just being chatty/friendly unless the message suggests otherwise .
- I can see who has looked at my profile and I can understand people might look two or three times and never contact. It's perfectly possible to click through onto a profile accidentally. I know, I've done it
- by the time I've been viewed 5 or more times and still no contact, that feels a bit like voyeurism or even stalking...
Hope this helps

Update Reply
HD3FXD @ 14/12/2016 19:13  

A brave post indeed, much respect gained!

Honesty and openess is the best policy IMHO.

Try not to lurk about on the periphery, enjoy the site and get out to events, rallies, rideouts. We don't bite (unless asked)

With regards to nods, we all seem to have different opinions of what their significance is. Here's a link to a previous thread, it may help a little; https://www.bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.asp?topic_id=12503&page=2

Enjoy !

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 14/12/2016 21:45  

If memory serves, the nod was previously a wink, but by popular demand converted to a simple biker's nod... While a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, it shouldn't be viewed as a flirtatious move IMO.

Respond to nods & messages & be honest. This site is great for making new friends, finding out what's happening in your area (& further afield), and maybe sometime, you'll feel ready for a relationship, so you've nothing to lose

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 14/12/2016 21:54  

If memory serves, the nod was previously a wink, but by popular demand converted to a simple biker's nod... While a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, it shouldn't be viewed as a flirtatious move IMO.

Respond to nods & messages & be honest. This site is great for making new friends, finding out what's happening in your area (& further afield), and maybe sometime, you'll feel ready for a relationship, so you've nothing to lose

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 14/12/2016 21:54  

Is there an echo in here?

Update Reply
Wannabe @ 14/12/2016 21:55  

a) Yes - you can see Nods and Views (either way) by checking the panel right at the bottom of the 'Communicator' part of your Profile page.
This will also show multiple views but it's only two weeks' worth of history.
b) No - no-one is aware of who you've flagged as a Favourite.

TBH, I don't bother checking views as it really doesn't mean anything - it doesn't bother me who looks at my profile and I've usually got no idea if views are from guys or gals unless the forum name gives it away as I don't click on their profile in return.
But then, I'm here for the friendship - I reply to all messages but put guys straight if it seems they're wanting more than that. I don't think any one has taken offence at that.

Sounds like you have the right approach, start a conversation - who knows where it might lead, have fun, be respectful, dare to dream.

Update Reply
izzyhill @ 14/12/2016 21:56  

Thanks all, I'll get the hang of this...

Just new to the 'online dating' stuff.

Happy to chat, would like some company, but just nervous of err, how did my gaffer put it...

'managing expectations' :D

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/12/2016 22:04  

Hahaha "With regards to nods, we all seem to have different opinions of what their significance is. Here's a link to a previous thread, it may help a little; bikermatch.co.uk/sites/bm/forum/posts.as...;page=2"

Now I'm really confused!!!

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 14/12/2016 22:13  

Sorry, that you are now more confused. I was trying to point out that everyone has a different take on the nod and that it really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. 

A nod is what it is ... Hi.  

Don't over think it. 
Also just checked out your profile, didn't nod as I wouldn't want to confuddle you any further!! Lol

Update Reply
Lindsay @ 14/12/2016 23:07  

Cookie

Have to agree with others have put, be honest, nobody can fault you for that. But try to be diplomatic when replying to somebody who doesnt float your boat lol
Best thingt o do is get yourself to a few BM attended events and you will soon feel comfortable and you never know you may find a Best Friend for Life :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 15/12/2016 11:57  

So u don't want a relationship yet u say ur new to 'online dating' err OK...
Thankfully this is a chat site so u don't have to use it to try get dates and can just be here to chat or make friends : )

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/12/2016 13:46  

Don't overthink it Cookie. Just work on the basis that they are all barking mad on here except you and me... and I'm not so sure about you
But I'm in the next dale to you so if your up for a ride out sometime let me know.
Ditto camping, if your into that kind of thing.
I'll be organising a few things through the year, first will be a weekend at Dent which a few of the inmates sometimes turn up too.

Update Reply
Steve_H @ 29/12/2016 20:32  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email