MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

British World War 2 history, on the bike

British World War 2 history, on the bike - Forums [Biker Match] British World War 2 history, on the bike - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

British World War 2 history, on the bike

Bros and Sistas it's 56STEVE with a new topic for you to mull over and discuss if you feel that way inclined.
I am very interested in WW2 history throughout the world. Although i don't claim to be an expert on the subject I have travelled extensively throughout western and eastern Europe and western Russia with various tour operators visiting major and minor areas of interest with expert guidance.I have only been to a few WW2 historical sites within the UK and would love to visit many more on my bike i think it would be a great way to enjoy our beautiful British countryside and some of the roads that we have in this country whilst on our way to the historical sites.I would like to do it in true biker style by camping,staying in B and Bs,sleeping by the roadside in service stations and generally anywhere you feel tired enough to sleep etc etc. That way you spend more time doing what we all love doing,riding.I
have only been to Dover castle,Bletchley park and Slapton sands in the UK.Some of the places i have in mind to visit are
R.A.F. Scampton near Lincoln(Dambusters),the Derwent rese-
rvoir Derbyshire(Dambusters),Coventry the blitz,Duxford I.W.M.
(Duxford wing Douglas Bader) etc etc. Perhaps some of you
might know these areas and be able to give us some guidance.
No doubt some of you could suggest some interesting places off
the beaten track that would involve riding on some great biking roads and travelling through some wonderful countryside with
fantastic views.
If anyone is remotely interested please join in the discussion
and let us know what ideas and suggestions you might have.
Ride safe,Steve.

Update Reply
56Steve @ 25/08/2016 13:42  

Hi Steve I do know the Derwent is a midlands bike rideout location if you heading up this way I'm sure there will be a few happy to tag along and take you round some of the other local biking routes

Update Reply
JP @ 25/08/2016 14:01  

Thanks mate that's excellent i shall keep that in mind

Update Reply
56Steve @ 26/08/2016 04:44  

Hi Steve,

Check out 'Eden Camp'

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 26/08/2016 05:59  

The Derwent dam is always worth a trip, regardless of the Dambusters associations. But I' always keep meaning to visit the remains of the Nant y Gro dam, blown up as an experiment in the preparations for the dams raid. What's more, it's in some great biking country.
http://www.dambusters.org.uk/the-dam-raids/the-bomb/bomb-testing-at-nant-y-gro-dam/

Another one worth a trip, which I have been to, is the huge crater left after the explosion at RAF Fauld in 1944. It's a few miles east of Uttoxeter in Staffordshire, and you follow the footpath on the right hand side of the car park at the Cock Inn in Hanbury.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Fauld_explosion

Update Reply
Wills @ 26/08/2016 09:23  

Thanks for replying fellas, that's some great info, i have learnt
three more facts about WW2 history and i will try to check them
out sometime on the bike, if not on the bike i will online.

Update Reply
56Steve @ 27/08/2016 01:43  

I have just checked out the Eden camp web site and am already thinking about paying a visit it looks very interesting and it's on the site of a P.O.W. camp,German,Italian and a mixture of other
European nationals who joined the axis forces in Europe to fight the allies,were,i assume,probably held captive there.It looks like it has some very interesting exhibits as well and what a run that would be especially from where i am,travelling through the spine of the country,the Peak district,across to the north east side of England"FANTASTIC''!! As you can probably tell i am
quite enthused by the thought of making the trip and biking through some awe inspiring views on the way there and back
(different route of course) also stopping at various points of interest on route.If you are equally as enthused join in the
discussion and post some of the ideas you may have rumbling
around in the old grey matter. Thanks for listening,as always
Ride safe, Steve

Update Reply
56Steve @ 27/08/2016 03:53  

Here's another one you may like:

The Devil's Porridge.

Although WW1, still interesting.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/08/2016 08:13  

Hi steve,another area of interest regarding ww2 would be the high number of plane crashes in the Peak District ,for example the Bleaklow area where a B29 superfortress came down killing all 13 crew,part of the wreckage is still visible.Another area close by was the Kinder Scout plateau where quite a few came down ,again wreckage still visible..guess in those days planes were lower flying in general than todays ,..

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 27/08/2016 12:15  

Lower flying, yes, but even more crucially air traffic control and radar as we know them today were in their infancy in the 1940s. In bad weather, at night, and knowing there was high ground out there somewhere yet with nobody to keep an electronic eye on you, there were few places more lonely than the cockpit of an aircraft.
B-29 crash on Bleaklow was 1948, btw.

Update Reply
Wills @ 28/08/2016 15:45  

Also...If you're ever in Carlisle....go to the Castle...tucked away in a hidden corner is a little-known Border Regiment Museum..i spent ages in there,curator is an absolute mine of information as well..:)>

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 30/08/2016 15:42  

A visit to the tank museum at Bovinvton on yer way too , always worth it , and while in Staffordshire, take in Staffordshire Regiment museum at Whittington Lichfield , not strictly WW11 but have realistic trenches built outside , so you can get a feel of what it was like Then take a ride down A5 into Shropshire , stop at Cosford RAF museum .

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/09/2016 12:43  

Also The Museum of Army Flying at Stockbridge and not forgetting the Shuttleworth Collection at Biggleswade, (also a bikers ride out )

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/09/2016 12:59  

There is the Imperial War Museum in Manchester.
Not been myself, but it seems to have good write ups. Stockport has
tours round the old air raid shelters.

Stockport Air Raid Shelters – Almost 1 mile of underground
air raid shelters used during WW11

also

http://www.cheshi...spx

and

http://www.hackgr...ry/

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 01/09/2016 14:13  

Muckleburgh collection in Norfolk......Weybourne. deffo worth a visit, loads of armour, guns, trucks, tanks, and loads of memorabilia. http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 01/09/2016 21:23  

Thanks very much guys for all your ideas and suggestions,very
much appreciated, none them will be coming off my hard drive
for a long time i will try to visit as many as possible.Please keep
them flowing in. Who needs google when there's you guys
Ride safe, Steve.

Update Reply
56Steve @ 02/09/2016 19:43  

Dover Castle has some secret underground tunnels used during the war and the Battle of Britain memorial is around that way too I believe, or certainly some memorial up on the cliffs ..
Over towards Folkstone, Abbots Bridge has the Listening ears, built after WW11 but may be of interest and also Mottello Towers Folkstone , originally built in Napoleonic wars but "upgraded for use in WW11
Back up here in the Midlands there is a German cemetery, (soldiers from both World Wars).nice tp visit to pay respects to all the fallen.That is located in our very beautiful Cannock Chase. Not sure though if there is a museum too, other than about the Chase

I feel wee bit like a tour guide now :)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 03/09/2016 19:58  

Hi feylin, You look like a typical tour guide especially with that hat on,which by the way i love,"LOOKS GREAT!''. I have been to Dover castle and yes you are wright the underground tunnels and bunkers were used during the early part of WW2 most notably during the evacuation from Dunkirk,'OPERATION DYNAMO',May-June 1940 it was the main headquarters for the operation which was commanded by vice admiral Bertram Ramsay. And yes the Battle of Britain memorial is close by although i am not sure exactly where, that will be one to find on the bike along with Abbots Bridge and Martello Towers (sat nav
on the Glide so shouldn't be to difficult).
It sounds like Cannock Chase has some good biking roads and
beautiful countryside and it's always nice to visit historical sites
off the beaten track the cemetery would be interesting i'm sure.
This is wonderful guys i am finding out about just some of the
many WW2 historical sites in the UK, it's exciting, i just wish
there was more bikers out there that get equally as excited,if
there is and your reading this please join in the discussion and
post your views,ideas and suggestions.
Thanks and ride safe, Steve.

Update Reply
56Steve @ 07/09/2016 14:45  

I have ove this topic to generate more interest

Update Reply
JP @ 08/09/2016 05:15  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email