MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Why are side stands always on the left?

Why are side stands always on the left? - Forums [Biker Match] Why are side stands always on the left? - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Why are side stands always on the left?

After starting this conversation in 2009, and having spoken over the years with a fair few people and not managing to find any single answer, i Asked Jeeves .................. my reply was .............Why not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (genuine reply), asked Wika as well got same reply lol

Anybody want to enlighten me?

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 10/06/2016 12:35  

My guess is it might be to do with most people being right handed and perhaps most dismount the bike to the left as they feel more control over the stationary bike that way??? I know I never get off my bike on the right hand side, I would likely drop it! It feels weird getting off that side so it would feel unsafe to have the stand on that side too.... to me anyway. Just a guess

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/06/2016 13:03  

I thought it had to do with not wanting to get off a bike into the road. That and I thought it was a continuation of how you get on/off a horse, which was always to the left. Also seeing as motorcycles evolved from cycles, the side stand on a bicycle was to the left so you avoided the chain bit thingy (technical term) and ruining your trousers.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-always-get-on-or-of...m-the-left

Update Reply
rowanblossom @ 10/06/2016 13:28  

my best guess is that back in the days before electric start, virtually all bikes had a kick start on the right hand side of the bike. so it was easier to approach the bike from the left, cock your right leg over the bike and on to the kick starter.............if that sounds plausible enough then it begs the question, why are kick starters generally on the right hand side of the bike? :))

Update Reply
mikedabike @ 10/06/2016 13:30  

Mikedabike...the kickstart on my old GT250 Suzuki was on the left...I don't think I ever got used to starting it..

Update Reply
Triple955 @ 10/06/2016 18:07  

Old bmw's had left hand kick start as did many old British and yank bikes. So I doubt that had anything to do with it.

I think it's more likely a throw back from getting on and off a horse than the safety element of getting off on the pavement side of the road as 1. not many country's drive on the left and 2. Bikes have been around longer than pavements.

That would leave the question why do we always mount a horse on the left?

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 10/06/2016 20:54  

i wondered how long it would take for someone to mention a GT250 lol.

many old brit and yank bikes? more like the odd one stuie.

don't think it's got anything to do with mounting horse's either, you mount a horse from the left because your stronger right leg boosts you up to the saddle better. you don't need a boost to get your leg over a bike saddle.

anyway surely it's better to mount a horse from the rear, or maybe i've been single for to long? pmsl.

Update Reply
mikedabike @ 11/06/2016 01:40  

You must have very long legs if you use uour rightvone to boost you up. I always need my strength in my left leg when getting on a horse as thats the one in the styrps.

Dont know the bikes names as im not a classic bike expert but you often see these bikes being started from the left before the rider gets on it. And we are talking the old stuff like pre war. First world war. I think the kick start realy has nothing to do with it.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/06/2016 08:33  

We drive on the left. The Highway says do not park facing against the traffic flow (rule 239) - with that in mind it makes sense that the side stand be on the left, so that when parked on a road the bike will lean into the pavement side rather than into the traffic flow.

Which is great until you notice that all the bikes in the US have the sidestand on the left too.... errrr....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/06/2016 09:18  

Yep the pavement side of the bike side stand thing doesn't hold water since side stands were used before we decided what side of the road to drive on and most of the world drives on the wrong side.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 11/06/2016 11:11  

yep, i don't think any of those reasons for it being on the left are logical.

according to Murray Walkers motorcycling almanac, the reason is because most gentlemen "dress" to the right hand side, which means that if you were to extend your right leg deploying and retracting the aforementioned side stand if it was mounted on the right there is a significant danger of your appendage being pinched between your right inner thigh and the petrol tank/ seat.

Update Reply
mikedabike @ 11/06/2016 11:56  

I've always believed the answer to this question is because of traffic, not dismounting into oncoming traffic.
I want to know why most folk insist on keeping to their right when walking, we drive on the left so why don't they keep left, and is this a reason why accidents happen on the roads, cos they can't make up their mind? ;-)

Update Reply
Sandi @ 11/06/2016 17:41  

Sandi, it's in the Highway Code.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-pedestrians-1-to-35

Update Reply
Wills @ 12/06/2016 10:01  

Are you talking about walking along country lanes, Sandi?
If so, it's so you can see on coming traffic. If you walk on the left on a country lane you may step into the road to avoid something like mud just as a car may be overtaking you.

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 12/06/2016 21:51  

Here's a new one for you (I do know the answer)

On the Triumph Tiger 955i, like every Triumph, Jap or European bike, all measurements are in metric ie.
Front Suspension = 43mm forks with triple rate springs Front Wheel Travel = 230 mm Rear Wheel Travel = 230 mm Until you come to the wheel size which are Imperial Wheels Front = Cast, 14-spoke, 19 x 2.5in Wheels Rear = Cast, 14-spoke, 17 x 4.25in
No cheating and looking in the internet

Update Reply
Ragnar @ 13/06/2016 16:18  

Rag, no, I mean in general, walking round town, up and down stairs in shops etc.
As most people are right handed (I'm a lefty) I would have thought we would drive on the right hand side of the road, not the left.
Wills, that link isn't clickable, what is in the highway code?

Update Reply
Sandi @ 14/06/2016 19:56  

Same as Rag said:

Rule 2If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic. You should take extra care and be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor lightkeep close to the side of the road.

Update Reply
Wills @ 14/06/2016 20:24  

the reason you mount a horse from the left was due to old days your sword scabbard hung on the left and in was easier to mount the steed, we rode on the left so you could draw sword right handed from the left side to clear the scabbard and defend or attack as generally most are right handed... as for the bikes thing probably a hang over from those days....

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 28/07/2016 04:13  

if you reverse the image on a computer,you can have the stand either way round...duh...

Update Reply
jinx57 @ 20/08/2016 13:27  

side stand is on the left because we drive on the left in the uk and to exit the bike to the right when stopping on the road would be dangerous for the same reason center stand canterleaver is also on the left

Update Reply
badbob48 @ 20/08/2016 20:57  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email