MENU LOGIN 
   Redirecting... ...to our OLD website!

We're still in the process of converting the site to the new format.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

-Matt, Admin

Ok - go now to OLD site

No thanks - stay on NEW site

General Chat/Anything Goes

Advice for Pillys Please

Advice for Pillys Please - Forums [Biker Match] Advice for Pillys Please - Forums [Biker Match]
Home / Search Forums / General Chat/Anything Goes /

Advice for Pillys Please

I get regular messages from folk who are novice Pillys asking for advice on what to do and what not to do. There is always a wee bit of apprehension as to if i do it wrong they will never offer again or i could cause problems by doing something specific.

I have always gone down the path of telling them to be up front and honest about their lack of experiene and ask the person offering a pilly for some basic advice.

According to Mr Ken me dancing, singing, eating ice cream, texting and falling asleep are all par for the course now lol ....... i class myself as a horrendous Pilly to be honest.

So come on folks if you have some constructive advice, please share :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 31/05/2016 13:19  

Offer to buy the cakes or ice creams or bacon butty, depending on destination. The rest you can work on.

It's basically get on and off when the riders ready. Lean with the bike, no hand signals and no sudden big movements. Don't fall off.

Update Reply
VFR800AJ @ 31/05/2016 14:27  

Only 2 things that put me on edge with a pillion is being head butted in the back of the nut when accelerating or braking and having a pillion fighting me and the bike when cornering.

Update Reply
Double six @ 31/05/2016 14:27  

Be a pilly on a trike. Problems solved. :-)

Update Reply
Morseman @ 31/05/2016 14:54  

Just go with the bike, try to relax and don't cling onto the rider (unless they ask!!)
Enjoy - it's a great feeling

Update Reply
Joey05 @ 31/05/2016 19:32  

http://www.bikesonshow.com/content/how-be-good-pillion-passenger

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 31/05/2016 23:53  

Close your eyes on corners.
hold the grab handles not me.
Don't wee on my back seat.

Update Reply
dustin666 @ 01/06/2016 01:11  

Keep your tongue behind your teeth, was the first bit of advice I got lol.
Work out any hand signals before you set off, such as emergency stop (if you suddenly develop cramp, etc) and loo stop.
Concentrate on the ride, not the scenery, it makes for a smoother journey.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 01/06/2016 01:49  

If you both are travelling at 100mph+ do NOT try to lean outward or look over driver's shoulder to see where you are going

If you are nervous about travelling at high speeds let the driver know, and if you are too nervous about it all, well then being on a bike is maybe not for you.

Make sure you have warm and protective clothing on, you have no idea how cold it can get even after just 5 miles or so on the bike.

Enjoy it, there loads to be said for not having to drive your own bike for a change

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2016 08:44  

All good advice. When going pillion with someone new I always arrange 2 signals, 1 for 'i'm ready for a stop but no rush' and the 2nd is 'emergency, stop as fast as safely possible'. Normally it's not possible to talk so be prepared ! I know the importance of these signals, riding in India with my ex, and I started to feel very ill. We had no signals arranged. He misheard me asking him to stop ..... result ..... I feinted on the back of the bike and took us down. Fortunately neither of us were injured bar a few grazes and the bike was fine. It was a lesson I will never forget ! Did it put me off being a pillion, definitely not.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 01/06/2016 13:16  

Oh I forgot one, Scream if you want to go faster!!

Update Reply
Double six @ 04/06/2016 22:43  

I work out a signal like a tap on the leg before setting off so if there not happy we can sort it out.

Every rider is differnt but I like a pillion to act as part of the bike IE don't try to steer, preempt what I'm about to do and for gods sake what every they don't try and sit up right through the corners.

If there not happy with leaning through the bends I advise they close there eyes as they they tend to sit still and get used to feel. It works!

Maybe leaning forward a little when accelerating and back a little when braking hard. Hold on how ever you like as long as it's not trying to grab a handful of coat that always ends in your hand slipping.

It's a two way thing to, the rider should find out before setting off what the pillion is happy with.

If you as a pillion feel you don't trust the rider, then get off the bike. There is nothing worse than an inexperience pillion on the back of a bike with some one who is trying to show off, that's how accidents happen.

And above all enjoy your self. At the end of the day that's why your on a bike.

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 06/06/2016 20:04  

Don't get on or off until I'm ready
Be a sack of potatoes.
Hold on tight... Unless you're a dude, then grip the sissy rails as hard as you like! :-D

Update Reply
Ducati_Steve @ 08/06/2016 11:35  

Actually the best thing you can do for a regular pilly is buy an intercom set!

Update Reply
Ducati_Steve @ 08/06/2016 14:38  

Being hard of hearing I prefer the signals.

Update Reply
Sandi @ 11/06/2016 17:27  

Just hold tight and enjoy,keep your feet on the footrests and watch out for bugs when i dodge them.

Update Reply
chopperray1 @ 12/06/2016 09:58  

Thanks folk, some useful tips here :)

Update Reply
Brummie Jackie @ 14/06/2016 12:06  

emzed he forgets im on the back sometimes haha i just leanwith the bike and wait to be told when to get on and get off :D i love being on the back tho i do miss my own bike haha x

Update Reply
Vampyminx @ 14/06/2016 13:04  

And most important ..dont put your big muddy size 9,s on my nice lovely seat when you get off! ;)

Update Reply
Deleted Member @ 16/06/2016 17:10  

When taking a new pilly for the first time, the rider must trust the pilly and the pilly must trust the rider.

Pilly should only get on or off the bike, when the rider asks them to (when they are ready and in control of the bike). Also do not move around while bike is slowing down to stop. If you need to reposition yourself signal the rider :)

Sort out some simple signals so you can communicate, while on the ride.

Also make sure the rider and pilly are ok with the riding method for the days ride, not all Pillys love going fast lol.

Last but not lest Enjoy the ride out , be safe and come back again :)

Update Reply
FireStorm-X @ 23/06/2016 10:07  

Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Text Email